Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will you switch from AWD to AWD-P?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So if Tesla has already hit 200,000 in June, will you switch to the P version?

AWD earliest delivery date is Sept.
AWD-P earliest delivery date is August.

So the chances are a lot better for the full tax credit for AWD-P. Then, the price difference between the two will be $3,750 less!

That's still a sizable price difference between the AWD and AWD P models. Plus, it's unknown how insurance companies would rate the performance vs non-performance models. It took them a while to catch up with the S/X, but many insurance companies now impose a near supercar level rate hike on the P models.

Ugh. Hadn't considered that too much. Do people know the % difference for insurance between the non-P and P version of the Model S?

I guess our best sample size will be from California.

So annually, like $1500 vs $2500? What are we looking at here?

The best way to find out, in my opinion, is to run some inventory VINs for P vs non-P Model S /Model X through your insurance company.

Some insurance companies still don't differentiate between P and non-P insurance rates. Others (Geico comes to mind) have just flat-out listed all Teslas as performance cars.

You'll find that many Tesla owners have switched insurance companies in response to such rate hikes.

I don’t think they hit it in June. I am thinking more July than anything else. That I would think why people are all of a sudden getting notified about delivery the same day they configured. I think they were stockpiling Model 3s.

Do we already know what the actual difference between the normal AWD and the AWD-P will be? I know the P will get motors that have been hand picked off the production line, but assuming those have slightly better efficiency and everything else is the same as standard AWD the power gain would be minimal. Will the motor controllers take advantage of the hand picked motors to pump through more power? And if yes, does that mean the AWD-P will get better controllers or will the ordinary ones just be "uncorked"?

Do we already know what the actual difference between the normal AWD and the AWD-P will be? I know the P will get motors that have been hand picked off the production line, but assuming those have slightly better efficiency and everything else is the same as standard AWD the power gain would be minimal. Will the motor controllers take advantage of the hand picked motors to pump through more power? And if yes, does that mean the AWD-P will get better controllers or will the ordinary ones just be "uncorked"?

Does any of that matter though?

The advertised difference in acceleration and top speed differentiate between AWD and performance AWD. Whether that's accomplished via hardware changes or software limits, there will be an appreciable performance difference.

Many automakers offer different performance levels out of arguably the same ICE (Mercedes and the AMG 'black', later called 'S' models is a good example).

It's extremely unlikely to expect any sort of after-market uncorking to lessen the value of the $10,000 performance upgrade.

I ordered P already in May, but if I was planning to get AWD, I wouldn't switch just to get it faster. If you weren't interested in the P before, it seems unlikely that you're interested for a $3k discount either.

I was going for dual motors non-performance in order to limit budget damage but originally interested in the performance version if it was cost effective. Recently, I did some calculations and ran the math when Tesla updated their insane pricing of $78K without FSD to now $79.5K with FSD for the performance version, a few hundred more per month for a performance version now seemed doable for 72 months loan. So now I'm locked in for a performance version. Happy. :D

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
With 40.7k delivered, we may be right on the border. Previous estimate was 20.5k remaining till 200k.
So, if half of S/X went to U.S., that'd be ~11k.
18,440 M3s - 9.5k to U.S. and 9k to Canada - seems feasible.
It was always going to be "right on the border" if they managed to push it into Q3. There still isn't anyway to be sure....but, if it's being reported correctly, leaving the estimated tax credit still at $7500 on the order page today for "Oct-Dec" estimates would be a VERY crappy thing to do if the had crossed in Q2.

Is the conventional wisdom still that the only difference between the P and AWD is motors with better quality control and "silicon carbide converters" (whatever those are)?
Elon Musk on Twitter

Like I really want to get the performance but it's extra hard to justify the cost when you're basically getting the exact same hardware. Seems to me like the differentiation is largely done by software so I'm wondering if down the road they might allow AWD owners to upgrade to Performance via a paid update?

Is the conventional wisdom still that the only difference between the P and AWD is motors with better quality control and "silicon carbide converters" (whatever those are)?
Elon Musk on Twitter

Like I really want to get the performance but it's extra hard to justify the cost when you're basically getting the exact same hardware. Seems to me like the differentiation is largely done by software so I'm wondering if down the road they might allow AWD owners to upgrade to Performance via a paid update?

only motor difference yeah

there appears to be a brake difference (that won't matter unless you track the car- and possibly only then if you pay another 5k for the performance pack).

Some folks speculate there's a suspension difference (other than the slight change needed to make the 20" wheels work right if you add the 5k performance pack) but I've seen no real evidence to support that.

I could maybe see an upgrade to P offered later, but can't imagine it'd be cheaper than buying P now if you feel you really need that extra 1 second 0-60.