TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Will you trade in your AP1 (or earlier) Model S for a new Model 3?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by GasKilla, Jul 25, 2017.

?

Will you trade in your AP1 (or earlier) Model S for a new Model 3?

Poll closed Jul 28, 2017.
  1. Absolutely

2 vote(s)
    2.5%
  2. No way

48 vote(s)
    60.0%
  3. Depends on M3 features

30 vote(s)
    37.5%
  1. GasKilla

GasKilla No Gas Know Peace

So would you?

• Funny x 1
  2. Muzzman1

Muzzman1 Member

My primary Tesla is an 85D with AP1, and there are 3 criteria that must be met for me to actually follow through with my Model 3 Reservation.
    1.) Quicker that my 85D - On this one it looks like I'm going to have to wait for the Mode 3 "P"
    2.) More range than my 85D - Probably will come at the same time as the "P"
    3.) Better autopilot - This has already happened, or will happen really soon, as AP1 & AP2 are pretty much on parity.

I don't need the space anymore since we got my wife's MX to haul the kids around.

So yeah, I will, but not right away.

I'm anticipating my fully loaded Model 3 to be about $70-80k, so anything less would be amazing if it hits all 3 points.

• Like x 2
  3. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

It would really depend on ride quality and sound insulation. I'm skeptical the Model 3 will ride as smoothly as an air equipped S. But then - AP2 and vastly increased compute power and 8 cameras. Tough call.

• Like x 2
  4. Sir Guacamolaf

Sir Guacamolaf The good kind of fat

I find my model s a bit too big. I don't need the speed. And I don't mind the single screen.
    Also I almost never use superchargers.

That said, I like low road noise. I like cheap to buy and repair. And AP2 would be nice.

So, long story short, I'm intrigued but ask me on Saturday ;)

• Like x 3
  5. GasKilla

I keep telling my wife I'm going to want to drive her M3 more than my MS, especially once the full self driving happens. A 75 mile commute with a nap would be awesome

6. mblakele

mblakele radial cross member

I'd prefer a smaller car than the TMS. I only bought it for AP: my research concluded that nothing else on the market in early 2016 came close. As far as I know that's still true, even though there's a little more competition now.

Even though I have a first-day TM3 reservation, I'll probably wait until 2018Q3 and see how things look then.

• Like x 1
  7. GasKilla

Kind of makes me wonder how many current Tesla owners will delay their M3 orders

8. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

I want a P version. A fast electric in a smaller more nimble package would be amazing. So I will be waiting. Should have 100k miles on my S by the time P models are shipping I guesstimate.

9. Marc_GA

Marc_GA Member

Where is the both option? :D

• Funny x 1
  10. bob_p

bob_p Active Member

When our S 100D arrived, we traded my wife's Jaguar in, and she's been driving our "classic" S P85 (i.e., an early production model missing many of the features - such as power folding mirrors, TACC, AP, ...).

She has a Model 3 reserved, which we plan to use as the replacement for the S P85. The M3 will be her commute car for work - and we'll continue to use the longer range (and large) S 100D for road trips and for most evening/weekend driving.

Before she'll place the order, she wants to do a test drive - like we did in 2012 when the Model S went into production, and we took several test drives before we placed our S P85 order.

Since we'll still have the S 100D, and the M3 will be a commuter car, she isn't as concerned about the range, performance or the size. She needs something large enough to take people out to lunch. And she's hoping Tesla will get EAP working well enough to help her with driving in rush hour traffic during her commute.

Based on what happened with the Model S introduction 5 years ago, I expect we'll see some Model 3 Test Drive events in the next few months, with a small number of cars travelling from city to city, providing reservation holders an opportunity to test drive before they are asked to place an order.

And that's when my wife will decide if she likes the smaller, more minimalist interior, with AP vs. what she's been driving for the last few months - our S P85, which is still a great car, just lacking the new features introduced since 2012.

• Like x 1
  11. spooky981

spooky981 Member

It took four years for Tesla to master the S and turn it into a reliable vehicle. Zero interest in the first iteration of the 3.

• Like x 1
  12. peteyswift

peteyswift Member

Great topic.

A few predictions/observations in no particular order:

- I think the look of the new Model 3 front end/lights will grow on Model S lovers (even with the refreshed bumper) and, given eventual higher volume of Model 3s on the road, will be the new standard "look" of Tesla. This will make the Model 3 more desirable.

- Although controversial, the same effect as above will happen with the Model 3 interior. Design in general is/has moved to more modern/minimalist (think "Ex Machina") such that it will be the new standard. Minimal interior will signify a car that can "do everything" for you. This will make the Model 3 more desirable, unless the Model S gets an updated interior.

- Having said the above, the Model 3 seats seem to be, at best, on par with the original Model S seats in terms of curves/bolstering, which would be a disappointment. The introduction of the next gen seats made the Model S a lot more desirable for me. I don't see Tesla offering 2 different seats for a long, long time if at all.

- As stated already, a smaller/lighter Model 3 with (eventually) power and traction approaching a Model S Performance will be ridiculous. Add some tasteful body styling and unique wheel options, and it will truly be worth trading ?down for.

- I'm curious as to the percentage of Model S owners who, knowingly/unknowingly, enjoy the exclusivity of the Tesla "flagship" model and will hold on to that or get into a newer Model S as opposed to the Model 3 for the masses.

• Like x 2
  13. peteyswift

peteyswift Member

Seems to me like a lot of the tech is the same. Having said that: that is what they said with the Model X...

14. BerTX

BerTX Active Member

It's more likely we would go the other direction and get an MX. If the M3 has useful towing capacity I might be tempted, but the lack of cargo space utility with the trunk vs hatch makes it unlikely.

Waiting for the MY seems likely, although we are getting a little old to be waiting for things to happen. MX seems more likely.

15. kirkbauer

kirkbauer Member

I have a P85DL with AP1. My wife has a minivan. I do expect all future cars I buy to have full autonomous driving abilities and to be electric, which will hopefully be a Tesla.

If I can stomach another really expensive car, I might replace the minivan with a Model X (low-end) for my wife. This would be after it is both technically possible and legal to let the car drive itself. This would be our road-trip vehicle and my wife's daily driver. The Model 3 is going to be too small for this purpose.

I will also be very tempted by the Roadster 2.0, but it isn't as family-friendly as my MS with 3rd-row seating. So to get one of those it will likely need to be a third car (if I want to spend the money) or I have to replace my MS with it and convince my wife that is OK to do with two kids. Unfortunately both scenarios are unlikely, and since I rarely go on road trips without the family I won't get a lot of benefit out of the new AP.

If you read between the lines, the current AP that I have is more than enough for driving around town which is what I do with my car now. I only want better AP for road trips.

• Like x 1
  16. number12

number12 Active Member

I love all the people that voted no way...

If for some reason it literally did half the stuff it promises (FSD wise) on friday and could get it for under 50k?

It depends on features/price for everyone or yes. Those are only two answers, but still no way is the winning option. Interesting.

• Like x 1
  17. kev1n

kev1n Member

If i could get a PXXD for <$50k, I'd think about it

18. sdorn

sdorn Director of Awesome

Do we know the performance of the base Model 3 yet as far as 0-60, etc.? I am wondering if they will actually sell a version of the Model 3 that is faster than a base Model S, even in "P" configuration. Porsche resisted doing that for a long time with the Cayman, and only in the last year or two has actually started selling a top level Cayman that is faster than a base 911.

19. freeewilly

freeewilly Member

No way. Other than the AP, everything else is downgrade.
    M3 looks beautiful from the outside, but interior feels cheap.

• Like x 1
  20. phaduman

phaduman Member

For my <1yr old MS, I could consider selling to get 2 M3s if they were available today. But then, I would need one big car for hauling full family for long drives - so would need a 3rd car. Nope - will stay with one MS and one M3 (on order) and stay full electric (no more gas cars please).