Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will you trade up to "D"?

Will you be trading in for "D"?

• No, I'm happy right now

Votes: 160 56.1%
  • Yes I'm placing my order for a 60D (near future)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes I'm placing my order for a 85D (near future)

Votes: 22 7.7%
  • Yes I'm placing my order for a P85D (near future)

Votes: 40 14.0%
  • Maybe after they start delivering them (7+ months)

Votes: 52 18.2%
  • I'm trading up for autopilot now! (Near future)

Votes: 11 3.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agreed service centers know less than we do as a group. That's why I also called HQ and several told me NO AWD before X got it.

Oh well, you live and learn. Also I thought I'd at least share my trade in quote I got even though many haven't. Hope it helps. I'll go the private route eventually although you lose the sales tax advantage of only having to pay tax on the difference.

Just for snicks, went to TM site and configured my Dec 2012 P85 with EXACTLY what I have on it now, plus AWD and autopilot. Then I compared cash price. $26,020 more.
So, at least I can put a solid number around it. I'm still super-happy with my car, so I cannot justify paying 26k more plus depreciation on my car, to upgrade.
Everybody values different stuff... I know that there are many forum members who just love auto pilot. For me, meh!
If it had been AWD (including the performance & range improvements of course) plus 110kWh battery, I'd probably be singing a different tune. I'd pay 26k plus depreciation for that.

What else would I consider changing?
* Aftermarket Reuss vs. Tesla HiFi system - tho I don't hate it, I'm sure Reuss is order of magnitude better
* High quality 3rd party paint correction and armor on whole car immediately upon delivery

That's it!

The only way it would really make sense for me is if I got $95-105k for mine which I think is about market value anyway, this would mean that I "lost" 10-20k before tax credit, which I'd be ok with to upgrade. Otherwise, I only drive 6 miles a day roundtrip, and on road trips the wifey's with me so I don't drive like a bat outta hell anyway. I keep going back and forth about the new one, but in the back of my mind, I know that if I got the right money for mine, I'd pull the trigger on the new one.

I am not a "performance enthusiast" but do consider myself a "car enthusiast". As such, I had no interest in the P or P+ before and have no interest in the P85D now. Further, I was suitably impressed with my S85's RWD performance last winter and so am in no hurry for AWD now, although would definitely consider it on my next car.

I do likes me gadgets and would very much like to try out Autopilot and some of the newer options that weren't available a year and a half ago when I got my car.

I bought the car with the intention of keeping it for 3-4 years, so I am happy to wait and see what further improvements have come by that time. My preference would run towards a fully optioned "standard" AWD car with the largest available battery pack.

No..not impressed

Keeping my plain old 2013 85 for another while yet. The autopilot feature might be fun, but can it compensate for the D-bags on the road here in Texas?

Not impressed:
1. 0-60 in 3 seconds? For what? Where am I going that fast in that much of a hurry? To the next stop light?
2. AWD-In Florida? May be when I have to drive through a swamp or when Orlando becomes a swamp.
3. Automatic driving? May be when I reach 70. Do I ditch my driver's license? Do I still get to sit in the driver's seat?
4. I just got my navigation updated. Let me first make sure that I am happy with things that are in my current S85 before I buy a D.
5. I wouldn't trust my current navigation software people to drive me automatically to where I want to go. They haven't figured out how to get me to my home using their navigation map even after my neighborhood has been in existence for over 2 years and other map/navigation systems could find my home. My navigation recently "directed" me to a location 2500 miles away giving an estimate of 33 minutes and across the ocean. I didn't know Model S could go that fast!

Not impressed:
1. 0-60 in 3 seconds? For what? Where am I going that fast in that much of a hurry? To the next stop light?
2. AWD-In Florida? May be when I have to drive through a swamp or when Orlando becomes a swamp.
3. Automatic driving? May be when I reach 70. Do I ditch my driver's license? Do I still get to sit in the driver's seat?
4. I just got my navigation updated. Let me first make sure that I am happy with things that are in my current S85 before I buy a D.
5. I wouldn't trust my current navigation software people to drive me automatically to where I want to go. They haven't figured out how to get me to my home using their navigation map even after my neighborhood has been in existence for over 2 years and other map/navigation systems could find my home. My navigation recently "directed" me to a location 2500 miles away giving an estimate of 33 minutes and across the ocean. I didn't know Model S could go that fast!

That's funny stuff! I too am sticking with my S85 (June, 2014) Just not worth the depreciation a whopping 4 months amounted to... $23,000 before tax credit!

A lot of you guys say if you got the right bang for your buck then you would trade-in.
What depreciation would be acceptable?
Good question.
In my case, it would be about 10 grand. Fair for a car barely 4 months old.
BUT I've been thinking MORE lately about the bigger battery pack which will increase range and may increase speed.

So the depreciation point is growing more moot for me, as I know what I want to get for my S85 likely won't happen.
This time I will wait to see how the D fairs AND I will wait for the 110D.
my car is great and I can easily keep it until the 110 comes out which I predict will happen before the model 3 to greater distinguish between the lower cost vehicle's range and their luxury model(s)

Good question.
In my case, it would be about 10 grand. Fair for a car barely 4 months old.
BUT I've been thinking MORE lately about the bigger battery pack which will increase range and may increase speed.

So the depreciation point is growing more moot for me, as I know what I want to get for my S85 likely won't happen.
This time I will wait to see how the D fairs AND I will wait for the 110D.
my car is great and I can easily keep it until the 110 comes out which I predict will happen before the model 3 to greater distinguish between the lower cost vehicle's range and their luxury model(s)

Why does everyone keep talking about a bigger battery pack? :confused:

As far as I know the energy density isn't changing much in the near future, so adding power would mean adding weight and taking space. Adding an additional 25 kWh right now using the same tech would require around 500 lbs extra, plus a decent amount of space, roughly a bit more than the entire frunk volume. Not counting the hardware to make this feasible... since adding them directly in series would require bumping the total voltage to near 500VDC, or using the frunk pack as some kind of secondary pack that offsets usage of the main pack through some efficient DC-DC conversion. None of which is likely to happen, IMO, any time soon. (ie, not in < 5 years)

Because Elon has mentioned 500 mile pack in the past. Just like he mentioned AWD in the past. Just like he mentioned autonomous driving in the past. Just read a bit around here and see the perils of ignoring such "foreshadowing".

And if you follow Roadster forum, you'd know that Elon also mentioned 400 mile pack for the Roadster. And that won't be achieved by using Model S cells. Meanings in all likelihood, there's a "nex-gen" cell right around the corner.

Yes, you can always be stuck "waiting for the latest tech", that's the choice you make. No big deal. Won't bother me any.

Why does everyone keep talking about a bigger battery pack? :confused:

And if you follow Roadster forum, you'd know that Elon also mentioned 400 mile pack for the Roadster. And that won't be achieved by using Model S cells. Meanings in all likelihood, there's a "nex-gen" cell right around the corner.
Whoa, how do we know that? I thought all along the "400 mile roadster pack" was going to use the current cells to achieve the capacity boost. I never saw anything to the contrary. Source?

Whoa, how do we know that? I thought all along the "400 mile roadster pack" was going to use the current cells to achieve the capacity boost. I never saw anything to the contrary. Source?

The discussion regarding the type of cells were early on. Some forum members much smarter than I did some calculations with estimates on the voltage of current S cells. The calculations that resulted seems to indicate 400 miles could not be achieved, something more like 385 miles. The small difference is significant because Elon specifically called out a trip from LA to SF. The assumption was the Roadster would be able to make the trip without fear of doing a Broder. There was also discussions regarding 400 mile using EPA ratings or just Tesla's own ratings.

Either way, 400 miles would really really be pushing it on a Roadster with S cells. Assuming real world conditions. Or else the Roadster would be able to do 400 miles today. Just drive 40mph all the way through.

The discussion regarding the type of cells were early on. Some forum members much smarter than I did some calculations with estimates on the voltage of current S cells. The calculations that resulted seems to indicate 400 miles could not be achieved, something more like 385 miles. The small difference is significant because Elon specifically called out a trip from LA to SF. The assumption was the Roadster would be able to make the trip without fear of doing a Broder. There was also discussions regarding 400 mile using EPA ratings or just Tesla's own ratings.

Either way, 400 miles would really really be pushing it on a Roadster with S cells. Assuming real world conditions. Or else the Roadster would be able to do 400 miles today. Just drive 40mph all the way through.
Got it. After I my prior post, I looked in the roadster forum and saw "400 Mile Pack (Was New Roadster Goodies for 2014)." I started to look at it to answer my own question, but lost interest when I realized it was 81 pages!

yes i am trading up to a P85D. why? because compared to my (early) 2013 P85, the P85D only has:

- better acceleration (3.2 vs 4.2)
- better top speed (155 vs 130)
- better handling (D+ vs normal air)
- better traction (AWD vs RWD)
- better range/efficiency (275 vs 265)
- better brakes (the Porsche 918 brakes vs what i have now)
- better ergonomics (seats)
- better technology (autopilot, parking sensors)

worth the "bath" i'll take. i hate that expression.

i got my P85 just a couple months before the + package was available. i was able to drive a P85+ as a loaner and i was blown away!!! SOOO much better than the normal suspension. i seriously investigated retrofitting my car with the + package but it was obscenely expensive. i'm glad i didn't do it and now can get into the P85D!

Last edited:
yes i am trading up to a P85D. why? because compared to my 2013 P85, the P85D only has:

- better acceleration (3.2 vs 4.2)
- better top speed (155 vs 130
- better handling (D+ vs normal air)
- better traction (AWD vs RWD)
- better range/efficiency (275 vs 265)
- better brakes
- better ergonomics (seats)
- better technology (autopilot, parking sensors)

Exactly. I may not trade my Signature P85, but the P85D is very compelling for me to buy.

I put a deposit on a P85D at the coming-out event but since then I've gotten numbers on my 2014 P85 (MSRP $115k...with 18k miles) that discouraged me on moving forward with the actual order:

1- Sold privately, resell value of mine is ~$95k meaning I would lose over $30k and it hasn't even been a year since I made the purchase.

2- Tesla Buy Back / Trade-in quote for me by my Tesla sales person is $85k! That even worse than Private sale...

3- I'm already on waiting list with my reserve for the Model X which will probably have the same exact options and performance, if not more...

4- With the faster performance of the D, I would certainly end up pushing the car and as a result get even less range...and the extra 10 miles range of D just not gonna do it.

5- The added cost of a new purchase ($128k + $10 CA sales tax) plus the ~$30k loss implies a massive overall "bath" that I've gotta take to upgrade...

Although I'm one of those "early adopters" kinda of people and I would be willing to SPEND $ to get what my little heart desire but, between the $ loss and the bottom-line not-enough upgrades that the P85D overall provides, even for me this is too much of stretch!

1- Sold privately, resell value of mine is ~$95k meaning I would lose over $30k and it hasn't even been a year since I made the purchase.

2- Tesla Buy Back / Trade-in quote for me by my Tesla sales person is $85k! That even worse than Private sale...
That's actually REALLY GOOD for a ~100k car. Not sure you should really figure sales tax into your private sale computation... that's 20k depreciation. Most 100k luxury cars are down 25-30% as soon as you drive away from delivery. Dealer quote of 10% below private value - also pretty good! And, you'd make it up in sales tax (if you trade in to Tesla, you will only pay tax on the differential). Not saying you should, but none of this should be a surprise - except maybe that it's HIGHER than I would have expected!

If you trade in, your cost should be 128k - 85k = 43k + sales tax on 43k - tax credits/rebates. Less than 40k.