Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Willing to Wait (How Long)??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Almost posted this in the body of another thread (on production arguments and delivery dates), however I wasn't sure how much exposure it would get. As I was reading the thread a question came to mind (again) not only while reading the thread but also the past several weeks as my research grows, and I get more excited.

This wait is excruciating.....lol. So.....based on my thread title. I have come to the realization that I am not sure myself how long I am willing to wait for the Model 3. I WILL own a Tesla at some point. I started thinking how long am I willing to wait? 2 years (2018) estimates for rollout? 3 years (2019)? 4 years (2020)? :( Don't think so....don't know if I could wait that long without being admitted to an insane asylum. :)

The question stems from arguments over whether or not production estimates and timelines will be 'met' or 'not met' for M3 rollout in the other threads. I don't want to get into that here as there are other threads for that.

I have come to the conclusion that if rollout is in 'reality' 2020+ I am going to find a way to buy a 'used Model S' as my desire to 'own' a Tesla is all consuming at this point, and I'm not sure I can mentally wait that long.

So I pose this question to reservation holders: "How long are you willing to wait for your Model 3"???

Secondly, as obvious with all my above statements...I don't want to cause to much thread drift with this but in my research already looking at used S's.....what's the deal with resale (wow) or more so Tesla depreciation? I know cars depreciate and they're not areas for investment...I've seen all those arguments and I fully agree. Why is it that Teslas that listed for almost $100K are going for half that or slightly more only 2-4 years later? I'm seeing 40-50K depreciation....could that be right?

Ski

So I pose this question to reservation holders: "How long are you willing to wait for your Model 3"???
Basically as long as I need to. I'm not in a hurry for a new car, so I can wait for exactly what I want.

Secondly, as obvious with all my above statements...I don't want to cause to much thread drift with this but in my research already looking at used S's.....what's the deal with resale (wow) or more so Tesla depreciation? I know cars depreciate and they're not areas for investment...I've seen all those arguments and I fully agree. Why is it that Teslas that listed for almost $100K are going for half that or slightly more only 2-4 years later? I'm seeing 40-50K depreciation....could that be right?

The average new car loses 60% of its value in the first 5 years, quickly at first and then slowing down in later years, so yeah, that seems right in line with expectations.

To the depreciation issue, certain years had quality issues and there are owners that abused the heck out of the drive train and battery. I'd never consider a vehicle an investment... for me a vehicle is paid with discretionary income and I expect $0 back. This allows me to always be pleasantly surprised.

As far as waiting I'm going to wait however long it takes to either come out or a competitor has a better product at a similar price. I've already been waiting since the Roadster for a performance electric that I could actually afford. So I'll have waited 10 years.

My solution for this last year and a half is that I was going to clone myself so I can continue to make money and I would then freeze my body with instructions to wake myself up when the Model 3 arrives. Not sure what to do with the clone yet... he might want a Model 3 of his own...o_O

How long will a reserved customer wait? That's a question Tesla should be very anxious to see answered because the answers will be vital to Tesla's success and its immediate (2-4 year) survival.
For me, I would give Tesla some wiggle room on M3 delivery...meaning by 2019. Early or late 2019 doesn't matter. I don't need another car today, this year or even next. But as that ship-date clock ticks, other manufacturers will be coming up with alternatives. Most will be dumb. But some, even one, might be compelling. Yes, a traditional car maker is likely building electric cars for compliance, or as a sideline, or because other manufacturers think it's a good greenwash marketing move. It's not going to be central to their business the way it is for Tesla. And that's why I'd rather support Tesla. But not indefinitely, and not if something insanely great shows up in the meantime.
Robin

The only potential competitor for the model 3 that I see is from Nissan in 2018/19. That car might be compelling, but there can't be an extensive supercharger network. Nissan autopilot might be good, but the Japanese typically suck at user facing application programming.

The German's are likely aiming at S/X with their initial releases. These cars might fit SEXY, but won't have the Tesla ecosystem.

The Volt is a good temporary solution with plenty of EV gadgets to keep the owner entertained.

Since I have seen some of the prices folks have been getting on the "hidden" CPO Model S's, I have become very, VERY tempted to buy a CPO 60kW Model S during my wait. I am keeping a close eye on the situation and if the cards stack in my favor allowing me to buy, I might just do it. Then I would be able to comfortably sit back and wait for my 3 whenever it arrives.

I really wished I had known the prices were that low when we bought my husband's S4 earlier this year. He is a huge Tesla fan as well, but we assumed used CPOs were non-existent since that's what the website showed.

I'm willing to wait however long it takes. My limiting factors include:
1. My current car is still going strong (2009 Infiniti G37). I expect it will continue to do so for at least 3 more years. If it dies, the equation shuffles considerably.
2. We just bought a plug in hybrid (3 row CUV). I fully expect to buy a full-electric to replace the 4 door sedan. No more half-way measures.
3. I'd like this next commute car to be roughly in the same price bracket as the Infiniti it is replacing. And at least as fun to drive.
4. Whoever makes a compelling car that meets my wish-list gets my business.

Based on what I've seen so far, I don't expect anyone to be in the same product category as the Model 3. But I'm definitely open to alternatives.

My goal for this car is to be my car's replacement so it can go to my daughter when she starts driving. That is 9/11/2019. If I can't have the Model 3 by then another car will have to be purchased. I am pretty positive I can have mine by then. I was in line and had my deposit in by 11am on 3/31 in the store. I am guessing I am around 10k of preorders in the US but I am central timezone and am not a previous owner. I am hoping I can get at least one of the first 75k cars or so.

My goal for this car is to be my car's replacement so it can go to my daughter when she starts driving. That is 9/11/2019. If I can't have the Model 3 by then another car will have to be purchased. I am pretty positive I can have mine by then. I was in line and had my deposit in by 11am on 3/31 in the store. I am guessing I am around 10k of preorders in the US but I am central timezone and am not a previous owner. I am hoping I can get at least one of the first 75k cars or so.

Exactly my situation...the Model 3 is the replacement for my current car which will then go to my son who starts driving in 3 years.

Ski