TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Wimpy horn

Discussion in 'Model X: Driving Dynamics' started by Beta V, Jun 18, 2018.

1. Beta V

Beta V Author, Dad, Mentor, Technology Critic

I had to deliver some passengers to the Pike Place market in Seattle (ok, a mistake) and had to navigate through a mob of people. When someone tried to back out into me, I used the Model X horn and I thought it was broken. All I got was a wimpy "meep." Is this normal? Should it get louder if I push harder? I tried to really jam on it later, but got the same (almost apologetic) beep--like when stepping on a dog toy in the middle of the night. Surely, this isn't right.

2. AdamHLG

AdamHLG Member

#2 AdamHLG, Jun 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
    Clearly you are mistaken because it has been firmly established that the Tesla has an aggressive beep.

ok all. This is supposed to be a YouTube link for Curb Your Enthusiasm and the Tesla horn episode. If you are not seeing it, it's the forum acting up again with link translation issues.

• Funny x 2
  3. Beta V

Beta V Author, Dad, Mentor, Technology Critic

Not an answer, but funny.

4. AdamHLG

AdamHLG Member

Ok. Couldn't resist the joke but I'll be serious now. On my 911 my horn was actually 2 horns of different tones that made the final sound. One of the horns went defective leaving a single tone horn that sounded , well, just wrong and definitely deficient. The horn was replaced and all was well again. Perhaps this is your issue. I would find another Tesla and see if it sounds the same or different. Horns do go bad. Maybe you have a dud. But it should be an easy fix.

5. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

If it helps you feel better, the horns in 12 ton armoured vehicles we used in the army all went "meep."

6. T34ME

T34ME Active Member

Well that was a NOB (north of the border) 12 ton armored vehicle. All the 12 ton armored vehicles we send to you army guys NOB have defective horns in case there is ever a threatening uprising NOB we can always out honk you guys in maneuvers! All our 12 ton armored vehicle horns sound like TRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUMP. Yours respond with "meep-meep", Unless you have some of them French built 12 ton armored vehicles and their horns sound like "oui-oui" ;):D