Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wimpy USB-C Ports?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve mounted a RAM ball behind the display and used a 2” arm to place my iPhone in what I think is an ideal position…

51899375538_f01420c0cf_z.jpg

For convenience, I bought a RAM Wireless Motorcycle Mount. When using a USB-C to USB-C cable to either of the console’s USB-C ports, it barely works, sometimes charging, sometimes not, needing multiple tries to get charging started at all. I’ve tried 3 different cables, same result. Using a USB-A to USB-C cable from an adapter plugged into the console’s 12 power outlet, it works perfectly every time.

Are our USB-C outlets just underpowered in general? Has anyone found an actual spec on them or measured their output? I’ve got the situation handled right now, but just curious.

Thanks in advance.

Mine are ok. (M3 2020) I’ve not noticed your issues. However I have noticed that exact thing on the wireless qi charging. I thought it was my iPhone being misaligned but I’ve tried everything and even when it says charging and doesn’t move, it will stop randomly.

Perhaps there’s one power source that’s wonky and yours is connected up to your ports and mine to my wireless.

I always end up using the ports which is a shame.

Reactions: FastEddieB
I’ve mounted a RAM ball behind the display and used a 2” arm to place my iPhone in what I think is an ideal position…

51899375538_f01420c0cf_z.jpg

For convenience, I bought a RAM Wireless Motorcycle Mount. When using a USB-C to USB-C cable to either of the console’s USB-C ports, it barely works, sometimes charging, sometimes not, needing multiple tries to get charging started at all. I’ve tried 3 different cables, same result. Using a USB-A to USB-C cable from an adapter plugged into the console’s 12 power outlet, it works perfectly every time.

Are our USB-C outlets just underpowered in general? Has anyone found an actual spec on them or measured their output? I’ve got the situation handled right now, but just curious.

Thanks in advance.
I have read else where that the ports are underpowered. When I added the data module & a nice usb hub that workex of one of the usb c ports on yhe console. My flash drive hardly worked compared to directly plugging into the console usbc port 🤔