TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Win a Model S -- Support a Good Cause

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by DouglasR, Mar 4, 2014.

1. DouglasR

DouglasR Member

Feeling Lucky? The Garfield High School PTSA in Seattle is again raffling off a brand new 2014 Model S, loaded with options such a an 85 kWh battery, Tech Package, Panoramic Sun Roof, and tan Napa Leather seats. The raffle is to benefit the school's extra-curricular programs, supplemental intervention programs to assist underachieving students, and career and college counseling services to help kids find a positive path for their post high school life. Last year the PTSA raised $75,000 through its Tesla raffle.

The PTSA is selling a maximum of 1,850 raffle tickets at $100 apiece, making the odds of winning better than most raffles. In addition to the car, the winner is entitled to claim the $7,500 federal income tax credit Although the PTSA is a tax exempt organization under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, the cost of the raffle ticket is not tax deductible, and the value of the car would be treated as income from gambling.

The winning ticket will be drawn on March 14, 2014, at the Garfield Annual Auction/Gala to be held at the Showbox Sodo, 1700 1st Ave. S., Seattle, from 6:00 to 11:00 p.m. Seehttp://garfieldauction.blogspot.com/p/win-tesla.html. The winner can choose the car (available immediately) or a certified check for $50,000. Tickets will also be drawn for additional prizes of $1,500, $1,000, and $500. YOU DO NOT NEED TO BE PRESENT TO WIN THE CAR, but you do need to be present to win the additional prizes. A separate ticket is required for admission to the Auction/Gala. You can purchase tickets to the auction on the Garfield PTSA website,https://garfieldptsa.ejoinme.org/MyEvents/RaisetheWoof2014/tabid/507896/....

If you would like to purchase a raffle ticket, please contact the president of the PTSA, Phil Sherburne at [email protected], or you may send a private message to me here at TMC. I have seen some comments suggesting that you must be a Washington resident to win. That is not the case. If you are from outside of Washington, the only restriction is that the U.S. mail cannot be used to send the money or the ticket. You could send the money via private carrier and have a friend hold the ticket for you. Or I would be able to hold it for you. Payment can be made by cash, check, or credit card.

Good Luck!

Mods: Sorry if this is not the correct forum for this thread. Please move if appropriate.

2. DouglasR

DouglasR Member

I just spoke with Phil about the options provided on the raffle car. They were not clearly listed in my earlier post. The car is an 85 kWh, metallic blue, tan Napa leather seats, with Tech Package, All Glass Panoramic Roof, Parking Sensors, and Parcel Shelf. The raffle is this coming Friday, and we still have some tickets to sell.

3. Pollux

Pollux Member

Neat idea for a raffle!

How does the winner obtain the car, if the winner isn't present at the raffle or even a Washington resident?

Thanks,
    Alan

4. DieAbetic

DieAbetic Member

@Pollux you have to pick it up in Washington.

5. mynameisjim

mynameisjim Member

Why can't a raffle ticket be sent by us mail?

6. DouglasR

DouglasR Member

@DieAbetic is correct: the winner would need to pick up the car in Washington.

@mynameisjim, saying that the ticket cannot be sent by U.S. mail is a bit of a shorthand. This raffle has been licensed by the Washington State Gambling Commission, and is fully compliant with its regulations. Raffles are considered lotteries within the meaning of 18 U.S. Code Chapter 61. Under 18 U.S.C. §1302, it is unlawful to use the U.S. mail to send lottery tickets and related matter, including money. Under 18 U.S.C. §1301, it is unlawful to transport lottery tickets (but not money) in interstate commerce using any express company or common carrier. Thus, while you do not need to be a Washington resident to participate in this lottery, the transaction of purchasing the ticket must take place in Washington.

To comply with this requirement, an out-of-state participant would appoint someone in Washington (Phil or me) as his agent to purchase the ticket on his behalf. He could send a check to the agent via FedEx or other private carrier (not U.S. mail), or provide a credit card number over the telephone or via email. The agent would then purchase the ticket and hold it for the participant. The participant would also provide contact information (name, address, telephone number, email address), which would be entered on the ticket stub for the drawing. Although the winner could pick up the ticket when he comes to Seattle to claim the car, the ticket is not really necessary, as the PTSA would have all the necessary contact information. The winner would simply need to identify himself.

That's probably more than you wanted to know. :wink:

7. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

Great stuff...just linked that to my West Seattle bro-in-law. Good luck to all!

8. mynameisjim

mynameisjim Member

That's exactly what I wanted to know, thanks for taking the time to write it. I'd like to buy a ticket, either tonight or tomorrow.

9. DouglasR

DouglasR Member

Great! Thanks. You have Phil's email address, or contact me via PM. Good luck!

10. DouglasR

DouglasR Member

We have a winner! The winning ticket number was 1008. The winner was a young man from Renton WA, apparently a real Tesla lover. He was not present at the Gala.