Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Win two free rear lighted Ts for the Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We’re looking for a volunteer who’s willing to remove the rear T from his or her Model 3 so we can scan it for the design and production of a lighted version, similar to those for the Model S and X. The Model 3 T is attached with double sided tape, so it’s easy to remove.

We’ll have it for only 3 weeks and will return it with new double side tape so it can be easily reinstalled.

In exchange for helping us out, the volunteer will receive two of the first production versions of the Model 3 rear lighted T.

If you want to volunteer please PM me. I’ll tell you how to remove it and where to ship it.

Reactions: McManX
We’re looking for a volunteer who’s willing to remove the rear T from his or her Model 3 so we can scan it for the design and production of a lighted version, similar to those for the Model S and X. The Model 3 T is attached with double sided tape, so it’s easy to remove.

We’ll have it for only 3 weeks and will return it with new double side tape so it can be easily reinstalled.

In exchange for helping us out, the volunteer will receive two of the first production versions of the Model 3 rear lighted T.

If you want to volunteer please PM me. I’ll tell you how to remove it and where to ship it.
You would hope one of the 'family of employees' could be enticed! :D

We do have a volunteer but not sure if the person is in the family. But aren’t we all:).

I consider myself part of the Tesla family, as some of my very best friends are other Tesla owners that I would not have met were it not for the car.
Exactly and glad you found someone. I’m sure a lot of 3 owners will be lining up when the time comes!

I am willing to provide you with mine, but I believe that I will be too late as I'm waiting for dual motor.

BTW....Are you going to make some kind of rear TESLA applique as the Model S has? I know the Model 3 doesn't have a chrome strip to replace. Just wondering.

@artsci,

Rick,

Will Nose AND liftgate T’s be available? Do you have a price point or any projected pricing yet? I’d be interested as well in anything you produce for the Model 3. Please keep us updated.

Ski

No plans for the nose given the way it sits on the hood. Only plans for the rear. Hard to know price point now as we are in the design stage. But I can say that our goal is to make them face lit rather than side lit, as is the case with the S and X T's. We think we have an excellent solution for diffusing the light from a face lit version.

I am willing to provide you with mine, but I believe that I will be too late as I'm waiting for dual motor.

BTW....Are you going to make some kind of rear TESLA applique as the Model S has? I know the Model 3 doesn't have a chrome strip to replace. Just wondering.

No rear applique in our plans for now, especially since in its current design the Model 3 has none.

Yeah, I have been noticing that I like the chrome applique on the MS. I am a bit disappointed that the M3 doesn't have one. Not sure what it would look like, but I think it would look nice like the MS...

@insaneoctane,
I realize it’s ‘to each his/her own’ but I actually like the ‘clean’ look of the Model 3 without the chrome applique.....I’m glad the amount of chrome is semi-understated and may even black mine out as it is.....again personal choice I understand but this separates the 3 from the S and X.

Ski

Reactions: melindav
@artsci,

Rick...thank you for the response. Hope you’re well. What was the reason for deciding to go with face lit as opposed to side lit? I’ve not seen face lit and not sure how it would look. On face value I think the side lit looks richer but again, I have not seen face lit diffused so nothing to compare it to. I’m assuming facelift would not be chrome. Still interested in what you design.

Ski

@artsci,

Rick...thank you for the response. Hope you’re well. What was the reason for deciding to go with face lit as opposed to side lit? I’ve not seen face lit and not sure how it would look. On face value I think the side lit looks richer but again, I have not seen face lit diffused so nothing to compare it to. I’m assuming facelift would not be chrome. Still interested in what you design.

Ski

The face lit, if we can pull it off, results in an evenly lit full representation of the T, with no pixelation or reflection problems of the kind with side lit. Also we think we can make the device thinner.

Here's a rather crude photo of what it would look like. The film is over a face lit T with dozens of forward facing LEDs. It defuses them completely. With the rear T this would show as red. This is a chrome film that's heat-mounted on the device so there are no wrinkles and it looks like chrome. It can also be done in black film, for those who want to black out their Model 3.

Unknown-1.png

Reactions: Skione65
The face lit, if we can pull it off, results in an evenly lit full representation of the T, with no pixelation or reflection problems of the kind with side lit. Also we think we can make the device thinner.

Here's a rather crude photo of what it would look like. The film is over a face lit T with dozens of forward facing LEDs. It defuses them completely. With the rear T this would show as red. This is a chrome film that's heat-mounted on the device so there are no wrinkles and it looks like chrome. It can also be done in black film, for those who want to black out their Model 3.

Unknown-1.png

@artsci,
Sounds great. Looks good....interested in seeing photos of the ‘Final T’, in red and black both as I may be doing a ‘blackout’ on chrome and such in wrap or dip. Keep us updated! Thanks for all your work.

Ski