Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wind and Road noise. How to mitigate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if this is normal or not, but my MY is fairly good at low speed, but road and wind noise is a little louder than what I am used to in a normal sedan ( my other car is Bmw series 3). How do I determine that this level of noise is normal?
I read that the wind noise reduction kit is not good. Some have suggested to coat the window seals with silicone lubricant.
Your thought on this, please! Thanks.

This isn't a very COVID-safe suggestion, but maybe you could ask to test drive a few other MYs at a local showroom, to see if what you're experiencing is unique to your car, in which case you might bring it up in a service ticket. I can see how a misaligned panel or bad glass seal would generate wind noise. I don't have any experience with the wind noise reduction products.

Road noise is what it is, in all likelihood, unless you trade in for one of the newer builds with laminated glass. I'm sure your wheel/tire setup has lots to do with it, as does the pavement composition. I drove through the Sierra Nevada a while back and the road noise was VERY noticeable at 70 mph once the high-friction surface started.

Not sure if this is normal or not, but my MY is fairly good at low speed, but road and wind noise is a little louder than what I am used to in a normal sedan ( my other car is Bmw series 3). How do I determine that this level of noise is normal?
I read that the wind noise reduction kit is not good. Some have suggested to coat the window seals with silicone lubricant.
Your thought on this, please! Thanks.

What wheels are on your MY? I had a huge reduction in road noise on my MY LR with 19" Geminis by changing from the stock Continental tires to Vredestein Quatrac Pros, which are available on Tirerack for a very good price. Night-and-day difference in ride harshness and noise.

With regard to wind noise, my windshield and roof glass were improperly installed from the factory. The SC replaced both and my wind noise is gone. In another thread in the MY forum, an owner used a air compressor to blow air at the bottom of their windshield and put a tissue on the outside of the windshield at the lower edge, and when using the air compressor from the inside, you could actually see the tissue move from air passing through the seal in his video. The SC replaced his windshield due to an obvious issue with how it was sealed.

Hope this helps!

My wind noise has always been very minimal. The road noise is much quieter at 4000 miles than when new. I figure seals just settled in better, but it could be the tire wear making a difference.

Can I just schedule a check with SC without test drive another MY? I am not close to a SC. Worst case they can check and OK it. They would not deny the problem if they think it has an issue, would they?

also, I have a mobile service call next week, can I ask the technician to check it out? What question should I ask?

Road noise was the single biggest complaint and disappointment with my MY. It seemed much worse than other cars I have owned.

Then I found a discussion here for the same issue and someone suggested this: Motrobe Tesla Model 3 Model Y Door Seal Kit, found on Amazon for about $30. With less than two hours installation, it solved the entire problem. (Just be sure to view the installation videos first).

The car seems so much quieter and more refined. If yours is overly noisy I highly recommend it.

Road noise was the single biggest complaint and disappointment with my MY. It seemed much worse than other cars I have owned.

Then I found a discussion here for the same issue and someone suggested this: Motrobe Tesla Model 3 Model Y Door Seal Kit, found on Amazon for about $30. With less than two hours installation, it solved the entire problem. (Just be sure to view the installation videos first).

The car seems so much quieter and more refined. If yours is overly noisy I highly recommend it.
Would you mind sharing your VIN? I am curious as I found my Y pretty quiet. Thanks!