Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wind / Elevation aware range prediction?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What are the thoughts on having the car predict range based on the current wind direction/velocity and elevation profile of your navigation route? Aircraft flight plans take winds aloft into the calculations for how much fuel is required and the optimal speed to fly.

Also, cruise control could select it's speed based on headwind/tailwind to optimize cruise speed (within limits).

Over the past year there have been many posts on TMC speculating and hoping that future Model S firmware would include those factors for trip planning. Would definitely be desirable. Allowing for weather conditions is not available yet, perhaps someday. Allowing for elevation changes may in fact be part of the 6.1 firmware that is starting to roll out now, but Tesla has not stated that specifically as far as I know.

Over the past year there have been many posts on TMC speculating and hoping that future Model S firmware would include those factors for trip planning. Would definitely be desirable. Allowing for weather conditions is not available yet, perhaps someday. Allowing for elevation changes may in fact be part of the 6.1 firmware that is starting to roll out now, but Tesla has not stated that specifically as far as I know.

Umm... Firmware 6.1 thread, page 3, showing the release notes:

Firmware 6.1 - Page 3

"To help you better anticipate your charging needs, the Model S will now calculate the projected energy remaining at your destination using your predicted speed, the elevation, and other factors along your trip route.

I'm not sure if they are including wind in the "other factors" or not, but elevation is in the new firmware.
Walter

Umm... Firmware 6.1 thread, page 3, showing the release notes:

Firmware 6.1 - Page 3

"To help you better anticipate your charging needs, the Model S will now calculate the projected energy remaining at your destination using your predicted speed, the elevation, and other factors along your trip route.

I'm not sure if they are including wind in the "other factors" or not, but elevation is in the new firmware.
Walter

No idea about the temps and winds, but elevation is included. See the screen shots from my garage in Boulder at about 5,300 ft MSL with the Nav set to go to the Silverthorne Supercharger at 8,800 ft MSL.

In the energy plot, you can easily see the increase in battery energy going down hill from the west portal of the Eisenhower Tunnel to Silverthorne at the end of the graph, and in the center, you can see the up and over of Floyd Hill. Also, while 42% of the battery is used to get to Silverthorne, from the second picture, you can see that the car only expects to use 25% of the battery to get back.

IMG_7426.JPG

IMG_7427.JPG

It will be interesting to watch the actual against the predicted in upcoming mountain drives. It will also be interesting to see how this plot updates during a charge with the next destination entered into the nav.

Answered my own question about what happens with charging; the graph and results are updated. The "before charging" graph is shown also. Looks like the battery goes to green when you hit 20%.

This is a great update, but will have to get calibrated. If I could get those plots on the App, it would be even better!

IMG_7429.JPG

IMG_7430.JPG