Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wind noise after windshield replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla replaced my windshield because of an issue with spots on the glass yesterday. However since the replacement I’m noticing an increased level of windnoise inside the cabin.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there an easy fix that the SC can apply to make it better? Thanks.

They probably botched the adhesive application during the installation. I had a whistle at highway speed after a windshield replacement on our old BMW 325i. They had to take the windshield out again and re-install it, there was a void in the adhesive.

• Helpful
Reactions: ishareit
They probably botched the adhesive application during the installation. I had a whistle at highway speed after a windshield replacement on our old BMW 325i. They had to take the windshield out again and re-install it, there was a void in the adhesive.
It doesn’t whistle and I really hope that it doesn’t involve a reinstall. I’ll mention this to the service center and see what they say.

I’m not sure if the wipers need to be removed and re-installed on a Model S when replacing the windshield, but after my BMW i3 got the windshield replaced, there was noticeable extra wind noise. Turns out, the wipers were set higher than factory spec so they were catching the wind. I re-seated them myself and the noise is gone.

On the Model X, the wipers are tucked-under the cowl. Is that the case with the S too?

sumitkgarg did you get a solution for this? I am in the same situation right now after a windshield replacement for a unrelated issue. No whistle either.
They put foam or something to make it a little better but it’s still not gone. Especially noticeable at higher speeds.

I will bring that up again during my first annual service at a different SC. My (new) windshield and the glass top are not flush. The windshield looks considerably raised and I suspect that’s the reason for the wind noise.

Below is a picture of one of the markings where the wipers should stop so they don't make noise. If you look on your car you will see another one in the middle for the driver side wiper. If you run and stop the wipers and they are above the markings you will get noise at highway speed. To test you can push them down to the markings and they will remain there until you use them. Btw I don't have the original wipers (I have a set of Michelin wipers as the Bosch noise with my window treatment) so with the Bosch hiding more under the hood the effect is even more noise difference.

20180421_041304924_iOS.jpg
20180421_041145804_iOS.jpg

I just got mine replaced and the windshield did not go flush against the car. At the top middle of the windshield, it is slightly above the metal, causing additional noise - check to see if that is the case - they are getting me a brand new windshield.

Brent

I just got mine replaced and the windshield did not go flush against the car. At the top middle of the windshield, it is slightly above the metal, causing additional noise - check to see if that is the case - they are getting me a brand new windshield.

Brent
Mine is above the glass roof all the way. Hate to get it replaced again but will mention this next time I’m there.

Might check this out see if it is your issue...

Windshield Replacement Suggestions?

I noticed some wind noise in the front of the car. I had Matt fixing a door handle so I added that to the list. While looking into it, he asked me: "Have you had the windshield replaced recently? About the time the noise started?" Oh, yeah. I hadn't put the two together.

It turned out that they hadn't layered the flaps over the struts correctly and they had left off a clip securing the cowling to the body.