Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wind noise around the windows

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I posted in a recent thread that I may not get another Tesla model 3 due to the wind noise at speeds over 60, which I find more than annoying.

So, my question is - the more recent builds (MIC perhaps), do they still suffer from this?

Hi all,

I posted in a recent thread that I may not get another Tesla model 3 due to the wind noise at speeds over 60, which I find more than annoying.

So, my question is - the more recent builds (MIC perhaps), do they still suffer from this?
Judging by many posts over the last couple of years I get the strong impression that the noise level is related to the individual car. My nearly 2 year old AWD LR does not get wind noise even on motorways, but it is clear that some owners do have wind noise.

Reactions: NewbieT and Adopado
Hi all,

Yes they do. And it often varies widely from vehicle to vehicle.
Another reason it’s really a shame you can’t, you know, test drive the vehicle you intend to buy before you sign for it.

@rincewind Have you asked Tesla to try and fix this?

My 2020 was pretty bad, mobile service came and did three test drives with various adjustments in between. Now it's completely silent until around 80+ mph.
That was very patient of them! How did that work? You took them out in the car and they made a note of where they thought they heard wind noise?

Reactions: moodel_tree
We had no wind noise until we took the car in for a replacement section of headlining - not sure which piece but headlining damaged top of drivers A post. It was instantly noticeable as a new noise and sometimes occured at quite low speeds if wind direction is from certain orientation.

Tesla took it back and changed the door rubbers, but that didn't fix it. I mentioned it at a mobile service and window was adjusted a bit along with the caveat that too much adjustment can cause other issues. It made it a bit better but still no fix. Not helped by Tesla not road testing vehicles.

In my convertible yesterday and glad the Tesla wind noise isn't quite that loud.

It may be that. I have the rubber band around the roof panel though,
You could use electrical insulation tape to cover up all the roof gaps to see if it improves things - plus driver's door glass and all around the door and get in via the passenger door. If it does improve things you can take off pieces at a time to narrow down which area is causing the problem.

The tape is low tack so doesn't mark the paintwork or leave any adhesive behind.

You could use electrical insulation tape to cover up all the roof gaps to see if it improves things - plus driver's door glass and all around the door and get in via the passenger door. If it does improve things you can take off pieces at a time to narrow down which area is causing the problem.

The tape is low tack so doesn't mark the paintwork or leave any adhesive behind.
I had this thought recently. TBh though, the car now goes back at lease end on 8th December so I'm not sure I can be bothered. If the tape did improve things, I'm not sure what the permanent fix would be.

I had this thought recently. TBh though, the car now goes back at lease end on 8th December so I'm not sure I can be bothered. If the tape did improve things, I'm not sure what the permanent fix would be.
There were reports of the gap where the side mirror joins has a gap that can cause significant noise. Easy to test by taping or filling the gap temporarily with rubber seal if you have something suitable.

There were reports of the gap where the side mirror joins has a gap that can cause significant noise. Easy to test by taping or filling the gap temporarily with rubber seal if you have something suitable.
Thanks, already tried. I've now gone through just about every suggestion on here, including wheel arch liners, A pillar gaps etc. etc. all now blocked up in different ways - none of it has sorted the problem. So, the car goes back on 8th December and I'm now looking at other options for my next car.

Can't you use silicon sealant in the gaps all round before you put in the rubber seals? Then press it all in firm and just wipe off the excess once it's in place. Once it's dried and set it should be pretty much air tight I'd have thought.

You can get the clear waterproof stuff for a couple of quid.