Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wind noise at 70+mph

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Check the small black triangular piece at the front lower corner of the drivers window to see if it fits snugly or if their is a gap at the top corner, like this (which is the passenger side window in this photo). There should not be a gap. If there is, that could be the source of your noise.

78049C5B-F2AC-4BB5-A188-AD510DA38976.jpeg

Check the small black triangular piece at the front lower corner of the drivers window to see if it fits snugly or if their is a gap at the top corner, like this (which is the passenger side window in this photo). There should not be a gap. If there is, that could be the source of your noise.

View attachment 356581
I was told by the Service Center that this was the cause of some wind noise. Mine were both replaced. I cannot say if it makes a difference, I did not pay close enough attention and may have been rocking out when I drove it back from Fremont SC...

• Funny
Reactions: ℬête Noire

View attachment 356581

Hmmm mine are loose on both my model 3's. How much gap there would cause the noise?

I've got a little extra noise coming from that area at 70+, or in a heavy cross wind. I didn't notice this issue with the triangular panel above the mirror, but I did notice another issue in the area (see pic). Too, looking at the triangular plastic panel others have pictured when the door is open, while the top corner is not flush, it does appear to be attached properly.

I'm thinking there is a pretty significant engineering issue in this general area with misalignment of the confluence of the front quarter panel, the door, and the A pillar. I suspect this will get reworked in future builds so that everything aligns better. Doesn't look like something that is adjustable.

Attachments

• AC505ABA-D967-4A1A-995C-B9EB076C7255.jpeg
    AC505ABA-D967-4A1A-995C-B9EB076C7255.jpeg
    246.4 KB · Views: 434
  • 6132B36A-20EC-4528-B547-4BBA9279FF18.jpeg
    6132B36A-20EC-4528-B547-4BBA9279FF18.jpeg
    201.4 KB · Views: 645
  • DDE1A44B-D364-4258-BD62-49B0FC4E2007.jpeg
    DDE1A44B-D364-4258-BD62-49B0FC4E2007.jpeg
    197.6 KB · Views: 428
I had a problem with what I called wind noise and went to the SC. The noise sound like someone was tapping on the roof above the front passenger door.
The tech diagnosed it on the spot. The front wheel well liner was loose. Sure enough, when you tap on the liner it made the same noise. He took it in the back to put some "insulation" on it and he was done in 10 minutes.

I talked to the service center about this and they told me that they've seen a lot of cars for this issue. They said something about not replacing the part but adjusting the position of the clips that retain the part to resolve it.

I had a problem with what I called wind noise and went to the SC. The noise sound like someone was tapping on the roof above the front passenger door.
The tech diagnosed it on the spot. The front wheel well liner was loose. Sure enough, when you tap on the liner it made the same noise. He took it in the back to put some "insulation" on it and he was done in 10 minutes.

I just got this fixed Friday! Was driving me batty. First attempt to fix by a Ranger a while was tie-wrapping the liner down, which worked. However within about 1500 the tie-wrap broke. So this time the Ranger, after ordering a liner to see if there'd been an engineering change (there hadn't), stuck felt-backed tape up on top of the liner in the couple spots where it was tapping. Also did the passenger side. We took it out on the road where it would reliably happen before and wound it up to 70mph, no tapping heard! :)

I'll try take a photo later of where they put the tape.

Pretty sure that couldn't be confused for wind noise, though. I thought it was actually something loose in the A-pillar/dash at first.

Reactions: mcbarnet007