Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wind noise fix for front corner windows

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bit of background: I took my ‘16 90D into service to replace the drivers window actuator because the window was making strange noises and thinking that things were in the way when rolling back up, when they weren’t. After one diagnosis appointment and one service appointment for the replacement actuator, I noticed a lot of wind noise coming from the top corner of the window, right by my ear, at almost any speed, of course worse at higher speeds. There was a gap between the seal and the window at the back of the drivers side window. So, back to the SC not once, but twice to correct it. After the second time, they had adjusted the window backward to resolve the gap and the wind noise by my ear, only to introduce much worse wind noise coming from the triangular window by the drivers side mirror. A small gap had been introduced at the front of the window, and it was howling at highway speed.

Instead of a fifth visit to the SC and the chance that one thing gets fixed while another gets broken, I took a closer look at the corner window setup and read every thread about wind noise in that area that I could find. It seems that the small gap in the exterior seal plus the interior seal barely contacting the window was letting the air seep in. I could pull on it slightly while driving and make the wind noise much worse, and I could push on it to lessen it a bit.

The solution I came up with resolved the wind noise from the corner window area by probably 90%. In my test today I only noticed it at speeds over 90km/h, and probably only because I had the fan and radio off and it was dead quiet in the car. And because I was listening intently for anything coming from that area.

Solution: I bought black Sugru from Amazon, opened one package and rolled it into a thin straw, about the thickness and length of a kebab skewer. I pressed that into the channel of the interior part of the separator between the main window and corner window, while the main window was down. I let it sit that way to set for a few hours before rolling up the window and testing it. Pictures below.

What this does is open up the channel slightly while giving it more solidity, which forces the seal to make stronger contact with the window and stop the air from getting through. It also reduces the noise from the slight gap on the exterior seal.

A44C30FF-CCEB-4E39-81BE-D292BD4E6776.jpeg
7A9B4954-7CDF-4934-BD6F-CC217CC7EF88.jpeg
780E2693-066C-448A-9044-8326C0D14866.jpeg

I used the mouldable glue and thought it looked perfect but unfortunately it made the wind noise twice as loud. So I stripped it out after a couple of days and lo and behold, the noise is resolved. Quiet luxury. I suspect this is temporary but fingers crossed. Will try the window adjustment recommended above should it return.

Returning to report for posterity that the wind noise returned with a vengeance, so when my AC broke and needed repaired I asked the service center to investigate and fix the seal. They did so - $39 part and $157 labor which included driving it on the highway to evaluate and then confirm repair. All better. Worth the money.
Part = "Seal, Door Front Fixed Glass, Left Hand (6009580-99-C)"
Can probably install on your own if you can get it.