Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wind noise from front windows

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've noticed a decent amount of wind noise coming from both driver and passenger side windows on my 2022 refreshed X. I looked at the seal, is this normal and how all of them are?

Attachments

• 20220906_161904.jpg
    20220906_161904.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 1,090
I've noticed a decent amount of wind noise coming from both driver and passenger side windows on my 2022 refreshed X. I looked at the seal, is this normal and how all of them are?
Yes but only from drivers side for me and it's on a M3LR. Mobile technician agreed with me so they booked it in to the service centre. Service centre says it's fine. Load of nonsense. It's clearly a fault.

Reactions: ####AFastTezla
Upvote 0
Yes but only from drivers side for me and it's on a M3LR. Mobile technician agreed with me so they booked it in to the service centre. Service centre says it's fine. Load of nonsense. It's clearly a fault.
Exact same scenario with me. Mobile to service center, actually went on test drive with tech who noticed it. When came to pick it up, nothing done, "as spec". Really bad service from Tesla. Wind noise is insane for a 100k+ car.

Upvote 0
I noticed mine went away when they replaced the top silver part that runs along the TOP of the door/window.. I cant remember what the part is called. Also check the "seal" that attaches to the front INSIDE of the door. BOTH driver and passenger side.Mine were losing the glue. Both sides replaced help that too. Has anyone went around their windshield with an airgun to see if it IS actually sealed fully?

Upvote 0
Noises can be hard to pin down. I had a loud whistling noise at high speed. It sounded like it was coming from the passenger side, behind the front seat. Tesla Service spend a lot of time trying to pin down where the noise was coming from. Fortunately it was under warranty. Turned out it was a part in the front of the car (RH underhood apron)

Reactions: ####AFastTezla
Upvote 0
I was able to significantly reduce wind noise by a series of changes.
1) Make certain the rubber seal that is inserted into the roof line, is fully inserted. Mine was dropping down at times in spots.
2) Try to isolate where the noise comes from the most. In my case it was the top rear corner of both windows. You can isolate by several methods. Get an assistant. With a hair drier blow air (no need for heat) on the window, moving from one end to the other. Sit inside and listen. Other methods include temporary tape and drive.
3) If the noise the top of the window, carefully inspect the rubber seal that the window should seat against. If the rubber is bent or otherwise pushed in, you may need to replace. But prior to that, simply move the rubber seal where it seats with a finger to get it restored to stock position.
4) Adjust the window so it's tighter at top, assuming that's where the problem is determined to be.
5) Adjust the door to shut a mill or two tighter overall.
6) Insert a soft rubber spacer to "push" the rubber towards the window.

Best of luck,
Let us know of your progress....

Upvote 0
I was able to significantly reduce wind noise by a series of changes.
1) Make certain the rubber seal that is inserted into the roof line, is fully inserted. Mine was dropping down at times in spots.
2) Try to isolate where the noise comes from the most. In my case it was the top rear corner of both windows. You can isolate by several methods. Get an assistant. With a hair drier blow air (no need for heat) on the window, moving from one end to the other. Sit inside and listen. Other methods include temporary tape and drive.
3) If the noise the top of the window, carefully inspect the rubber seal that the window should seat against. If the rubber is bent or otherwise pushed in, you may need to replace. But prior to that, simply move the rubber seal where it seats with a finger to get it restored to stock position.
4) Adjust the window so it's tighter at top, assuming that's where the problem is determined to be.
5) Adjust the door to shut a mill or two tighter overall.
6) Insert a soft rubber spacer to "push" the rubber towards the window.

Best of luck,
Let us know of your progress....
Thank you for this, I replied, before I read your last post.

Upvote 0
Honestly this whole wind noise/road noise stuff is a bunch of bull crap. I mean I have a 2016, and suffered through all that and now have a 2023 on order, and they still dont have it right? Hows that possible? I hope to god I dont have to deal with this mickey mouse crap for a 157k car!

Upvote 0
Honestly this whole wind noise/road noise stuff is a bunch of bull crap. I mean I have a 2016, and suffered through all that and now have a 2023 on order, and they still dont have it right? Hows that possible? I hope to god I dont have to deal with this mickey mouse crap for a 157k car!
I don’t see the need to drag Mickey Mouse’s name through the mud for something he clearly has nothing to do with.

Upvote 0
The car is better in most ways, but unfortunately I have this problem I’m trying to solve :(. I hope you don’t have to deal with it.

Upvote 0
We had this same issue. The gap was so big you could look out through it from the drivers seat. I was hearing lots of road noise. SC adjusted it and now there isn’t a massive gab but the rubber seal still isn’t tight against the window at the bottom. I still notice some road noise and cold air coming in from that corner on both doors when I’m on the highway. Is this considered the norm on this car or are there some out there with a nice tight seal? Because to my untrained eyes, it seems like the rubber seal curves away from the window at the bottom following the body. I don’t know if it’s possible to fix this with just a window adjustment.
E50F868D-55DC-4D1C-BEA9-A13159E426E5.jpeg

Upvote 0
We had this same issue. The gap was so big you could look out through it from the drivers seat. I was hearing lots of road noise. SC adjusted it and now there isn’t a massive gab but the rubber seal still isn’t tight against the window at the bottom. I still notice some road noise and cold air coming in from that corner on both doors when I’m on the highway. Is this considered the norm on this car or are there some out there with a nice tight seal? Because to my untrained eyes, it seems like the rubber seal curves away from the window at the bottom following the body. I don’t know if it’s possible to fix this with just a window adjustment. View attachment 877975
Lmk if you come up with a fix. I will too.

Upvote 0
We had this same issue. The gap was so big you could look out through it from the drivers seat. I was hearing lots of road noise. SC adjusted it and now there isn’t a massive gab but the rubber seal still isn’t tight against the window at the bottom. I still notice some road noise and cold air coming in from that corner on both doors when I’m on the highway. Is this considered the norm on this car or are there some out there with a nice tight seal? Because to my untrained eyes, it seems like the rubber seal curves away from the window at the bottom following the body. I don’t know if it’s possible to fix this with just a window adjustment. View attachment 877975
Hmm… they “should” be able to fix that gap I’d hope. Mine isn’t as visible but I sure hear the wind at that same area. I wonder if wind deflectors would help.

Upvote 0
I’m going to try to stuff some material in there (foam or whatever) and see on my next drive if it makes a difference before I try to make a longer term fix.

Upvote 0
Sorry for the million posts. I took some high density foam door weatherstripping, and taped it along the inside of the door and in the inside of the frame attached to the car to fill that spot. I’m happy to report around a 50% better situation. So I’m going to get a little bit thicker foam and also get some wind deflectors and try a few more things to see if I can improve the situation further. I’m hopeful I can get it to the point where it’s barely an issue. I “think” we can.

Upvote 0
Wow
That's not right at all.
Not normal.
Is that picture from after service?
SC should have fixed that.
To do it yourself you'd have to adjust the widow and probably the door.
It's quite difficult to add rubber in that area for this design.
The window looks pitched out at the bottom and in at the top. I'd reduce that angle and tighten the door.

Upvote 0
Wow
That's not right at all.
Not normal.
Is that picture from after service?
SC should have fixed that.
To do it yourself you'd have to adjust the widow and probably the door.
It's quite difficult to add rubber in that area for this design.
The window looks pitched out at the bottom and in at the top. I'd reduce that angle and tighten the door.
Any experience with wind deflectors?

Upvote 0