Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wind noise...help!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up my new X Friday and as soon as I started driving home, I noticed loud wind noise coming from driver's side window (at 30+ mph). Immediately returned to Tesla where they set me up with a service appt for today. Picked it back up from service tonight and the noise is much better, but there is still wind noise on the highway (at 50+ mph). Anyone else experience this? This seems unacceptable to me.

I think depending on outside cross winds, you're bound to hear some noise.

If the noise still bothers you, I don't see any issue in having a Tesla employee take a ride on the highway.

Would appreciate if you'd post a follow-up if you do end up taking the X back to the SC.

Best of luck!

I had the bad wind noise just like you. Brought it to SC and they fixed it.

See below, copied from my service center invoice.

Concern: Customer states: Wind noise from drivers door or door glass while driving, near drivers mirror.*

Corrections: Door Glass and Regulators General Diagnosis

Test drove vehicle wind noise coming from left front fix glass. Corrections: Window Regulator - Front - LH

Remove and replace front left window regulator

Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity

ASSY - WINDOW REGULATOR, FR LH 1 (1028818-80-B)

CLIP, HEART FLEX W WSHR 70 LBS 5 RETENTION (1025401-00-A)

Pay Type: Warranty

Concern: Customer states: Wind noise from drivers door or door glass while driving, near drivers mirror.*

Test drove vehicle wind noise coming from left front fix glass. Corrections: Window Regulator - Front - LH

Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity

Thanks for this :)

There are quite a few alignments/adjustments they can make on the seals if the regulator is not bad as @Ct-x had.

Just keep at them. I agree with @SUMD and my worst cases are cross winds.

CAUTION: Be very careful lowering the window at speed in a heavy cross wind. Last time I did that the glass jumped from the track, I thought it was going to break and then I had to have the window re-calibrated by the SC after.

I had a wind noise issue at freeways speeds (like mid 70's) from the driver side small piece of glass adjacent to the rear view mirror. It was only noticeable with a cross wind though so it really only bothered me on trips across Washington to Spokane (which I've been making more frequently this year). I could make it go away by simply touching the trim piece between the main side glass and the little piece. Anyway, my local service center wasn't able to replicate it so finally I made a video of it and sent it to them. They did what they could but couldn't test it. What they did fixed it though.

Moral of the story, be persistent and take a video if you have to!

Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity

Thank you!

Got my Tesla X December 30th and it has been flawless except for the noise on the highway. Just took it for 2 hours drive. Unbearable. Every gust of wind, every truck that went by, sounded crazy. Gave me a headache, and ringing in the ears. I hope this is a fixable problem, guess I'll contact my local service center. Any tips in the mean time , the doors look ok to me

Got my Tesla X December 30th and it has been flawless except for the noise on the highway. Just took it for 2 hours drive. Unbearable. Every gust of wind, every truck that went by, sounded crazy. Gave me a headache, and ringing in the ears. I hope this is a fixable problem, guess I'll contact my local service center. Any tips in the mean time , the doors look ok to me

Totally agree with you...the noise will eventually drive you crazy. I just made another appointment at the SC for Monday. They had my X an entire day and didn't fix it, so I'm not optimistic. But, here's hoping they can fix it.

Totally agree with you...the noise will eventually drive you crazy. I just made another appointment at the SC for Monday. They had my X an entire day and didn't fix it, so I'm not optimistic. But, here's hoping they can fix it.

Please keep me updated, this is the only thing I am worried about with my Model X. I am sure the service people will work hard to answer this problem. I read that one guy had to have some foam insert or something placed near his front windshield
MO!

Keep us posted as I picked up my X on the 22nd and on my 350 mile trip there was quite a bit of wind noise at highway speed with a fairly significant cross wind for half trip and head wind for the other half. Both had about the same noise level for me. I'm 350 mikes from closest SC so I may see if there is anything I can do to correct myself and if not I will wait until my service to have SC try and fix.

I had these wind noise problems originally, and after three Service Center visits it was finally corrected. My Model X was virtually silent (aside from tire road noise) at all speeds. But now my passenger window is way out of alignment and the wind sounds like a hurricane on that side of the car. The driver side has drifted too and now I hear wind noise there too. Back to the Service Center for me!

Took our 2 week old MX in today for first SC visit with about 8 issues including wind noise on driver side window. I don't think it's as severe as OP or some mentioned by others but there is a noticeable hollow whooshing sound on the driver side top left corner at freeway speeds. The sound is not there on the passenger side.

Test drove on freeway with technician. He felt the sound and seal were normal and good. He will still put down my remarks and make a note for SC to check the B pillar glass where the AP2 camera is imbedded for alignment issues. He said that alignment issues for that piece of glass may cause noise and that they may "shimmy" that piece of glass if not properly aligned.

As many have historically noted, the mere protrusion of glass or parts at non optimal angles will lead to wind noise. Given the near impossibility of perfect alignment in the current MX, I have come to terms with the fact this is likely something to get used to and deal with as long as not severe.

• Informative
Reactions: aesculus
I have no idea where my noise is coming from, I think its the driver side window, I have not sat in the passenger seat yet. Its crazy loud when a car or truck passes me on the left. Its like I can hear every turn of their tires hitting the pavement as it wooshes by. Weird. Anyways, I have full confidence in Tesla. I am sure they will fix the problem. These doors.. too many panels, too complicated. They are going to evaluate it, in mean time I plan on buying some soundproofing material like one uses for home theater and see if it does anything on that door (near the triangular window and front windshield). Mo!

For those with wind noise, try touching the small piece of trim between the glass that moves up and down and the small bit next to the mirror when you hear it. That's all I had to do with mine and it went away. This helped the SC diagnose the issue since they couldn't replicate it on test drives (not enough cross wind apparently).

• Informative
Reactions: bushburner
He will still put down my remarks and make a note for SC to check the B pillar glass where the AP2 camera is imbedded for alignment issues. He said that alignment issues for that piece of glass may cause noise and that they may "shimmy" that piece of glass if not properly aligned.
My SC said the same to me. I have not had them do the work yet. Will next time it goes in.

After driving up and down the highway multiple times, either it's a seal issue, or it's because the windows are thin and cheap (not double pane like Lexus). This is the only problem I have with my model X which really sucks.. because if this is not a fixable issue I will just not drive it on the highway which completely defeats the reason to have a car, and especially one that as auto pilot etc. I guess I will wait until Tesla evaluates it. A little bit disappointed, but that's what I get for being a beta tester.

^^^^^
Small quarter panel window seal has been a known issue since first release.

I've had both of mine adjusted; passenger (May), upon delivery & driver side (Dec) about 7 months later. On first visit they also added some sound deadening stuff underneath (presuming by now that is standard).

FWIW: when seals are good, interior sound is good and better than my wife's Macan (which has the extra thick glass option & is superbly built).

Having said that, very windy days with lots of cross wind are clearly challenging but in any event, have your SC take a look at it.

I too was/am not happy with the noise level. I took it to the SC a few weeks after I got it last summer, and the tech had a gizmo that generated some test noise or tone, and he walked around the car with a sensor that detected where sound was leaking out of the car the most. Turns out it was where I noticed it most, driver's door.

So he made some adjustments and that helped a fair amount.

What remains, however, is what to me is borderline unacceptable road noise. I can tell the wind noise is pretty much under control because when I'm on newer asphalt roads the car is really nice and quiet. The minute I get on concrete, however, it's like I'm in a wind tunnel. The tech tried to give me the line that the absence of engine noise exposes those sounds, but that's BS. My BMW 7 was much quieter on those kinds of roads, although there was still some noise.

I have the Conti-silent tires, so I assume that's the best I can do tire-wise. But I'd sure like to know what else I can do. That is really the only major detraction from my absolute love of the car. I've learned to overlook the (many) shortcomings of the UI and the apps, and just hope at some point they will improve, but the road noise is a biggie.

Any thoughts?