Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wind noise in full glass roof new Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, but wind noise is something to be addressed early in the design process, not something where fixes come "after the fact." How could they not have tested this?

Or, perhaps they did, but production line variances are leading to the problem. "Ouch" either way, but still, aero noise is a big deal and potentially much harder to correct once cars are built. Expect better from Tesla, and glad we cancelled our order (due to absurd trade in value) in light of this thread.

We want to Tesla to do well, but these threads give us pause on our next order since they're making 20 hardware changes a week, give or take.

Just switched my order from the all glass roof to the sunroof. I have a sunroof on my 2012 P85, and though I don't use it that much, it is pretty quiet, and does enable XM radio and a roof rack, which the glass roof doesn't. I'm just not willing to take a chance on the glass, given this thread, and, the sunroof is only $500 more.

Reactions: Dax279
Just switched my order from the all glass roof to the sunroof. I have a sunroof on my 2012 P85, and though I don't use it that much, it is pretty quiet, and does enable XM radio and a roof rack, which the glass roof doesn't. I'm just not willing to take a chance on the glass, given this thread, and, the sunroof is only $500 more.

I have an all glass roof and I also noticed the wind noise. It may be a but more noisy for now, but it is gorgeous!

Just a thought:
In post # 8, Vortexx mentioned that placing masking tape over the gap resulted in a significant reduction of wind noise. Perhaps a more long-lived temporary fix to the problem, until Tesla comes out with their own solution, would be to use a gap tape that sailplane pilots use to bridge the gaps between the fuselage and wing (and other areas)?
It's flexible, removable, and comes in either white or clear.

Here's a link to one of those products.
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.- Bowlus Maxi Gap Seal Tape

I am confident that a rubber gasket that would fill the gap would solve the problem if they cannot make the roof fit perfectly flat.

I'm thinking we need something like this in that gap:

Screenshot 2017-01-28 19.29.10.png

Alibaba Manufacturer Directory - Suppliers, Manufacturers, Exporters & Importers 

A tight fitting rubber "T Seal" that would fill the gap and fit flush with both pieces of glass to eliminate any air/wind from getting in the gap.

Mike

SOLVED: Wind Noise On All Glass Roof

I like the solution Vortexx posted earlier but thought there should be a product that just fits without alteration. After over an hour of searching, I found it.

I bought the rubber tube below and inserted it by gently stretching and pushing with my fingers. The result is an solution that looks 95% factory original.

It looks great and can be easily removed. The bad news is that the process reveals just how poorly they installed the glass roof.

To insure the tube cannot fall out, I wrapped it around all 3 sides of the roof and wedge it under plastic below the hatch. So the hatch is actually holding it in place. I doubt it will ever come out unless I want it to.

Tesla needs a permanent fix but this is an easy temporary solution that looks great.

Here is the product link:

www.amazon.com/dp/B00NL4DCIO/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apap_yezLc5xq1

20170201_184739.jpg
20170201_184744.jpg
20170201_184915.jpg
20170201_184803.jpg
20170201_190258.jpg

SOLVED: Wind Noise On All Glass Roof

I like the solution Vortexx posted earlier but thought there should be a product that just fits without alteration. After over an hour of searching, I found it.

I bought the rubber tube below and inserted it by gently stretching and pushing with my fingers. The result is an solution that looks 95% factory original.

It looks great and can be easily removed. The bad news is that the process reveals just how poorly they installed the glass roof.

To insure the tube cannot fall out, I wrapped it around all 3 sides of the roof and wedge it under plastic below the hatch. So the hatch is actually holding it in place. I doubt it will ever come out unless I want it to.

Tesla needs a permanent fix but this is an easy temporary solution that looks great.

Here is the product link:

www.amazon.com/dp/B00NL4DCIO/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apap_yezLc5xq1

View attachment 212921 View attachment 212922 View attachment 212923 View attachment 212924 View attachment 212925

Looks like a great solution, but confused by your installation.

Why not just cut the ends off at the top of the hatch area?

What is gained by extending the seal material to the bottom of the hatch?

Looks really good @daviddc!

It appears your roof leading edge is higher than the windshield? I'll have to check mine tomorrow, but recall my windshield is slightly higher. That would probably mean less wind noise in my case, but ideally they should be even I would imagine.

I had a 2015 S85D and it was one of the quietest cars I have ever owned; I traded it in for a revised S90D. Both cars had identical options with the painted roof except the S90D has the AP 2.0 hardware.

The S90D has a lot of wind noise especially above 65 mph. I took it to the Service Center and they said that they cannot hear the noise, which means they do not want to waste time trying to figure out how to fix it. I found out that they took the tint off of the windshield and I am wondering if they decreased the thickness of the glass. I will check to see if there are any gaps where the trim meets the roof and windshield.

Looks really good @daviddc!

It appears your roof leading edge is higher than the windshield? I'll have to check mine tomorrow, but recall my windshield is slightly higher. That would probably mean less wind noise in my case, but ideally they should be even I would imagine.

On my car, it varies. On the right side, there is more space than the left from the front windshield. The glass is not installed square.

@daviddc: looks great. Now I am going to order that product and replace mine. I noticed that the product comes in a number of sizes. Did you order more than one size and use the best one, or did you just measure the gap and pick the closest size?

Thanks vortexx for a "fix" though with my new $115k car (delivery planned for late March '17) I'll be pissed if I have to mod the car. I was understanding of "issues" when I got my first Mod S in 6/2013 but at this point!?! I'll watch this thread (what's the other one called, want to follow both) and will discuss on Talking Tesla #72.

Thanks vortexx for a "fix" though with my new $115k car (delivery planned for late March '17) I'll be pissed if I have to mod the car. I was understanding of "issues" when I got my first Mod S in 6/2013 but at this point!?! I'll watch this thread (what's the other one called, want to follow both) and will discuss on Talking Tesla #72.

Robert,
I agree wholeheartedly.....I can't believe after spending 6 figures on a car owners are having to resort to masking tape and aftermarket foam gap sealant to fix an engineering and design issue that should never have left the line/factory let alone the design process. As you mentioned this would have been understandable to a degree on the earlier 2012/13 VINs but now?? At this point? I know the 'All Glass' is new but Elon should not have let this pass.
(Love your Podcast...give my best to Mel & Tom!)

Ski