Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wind noise in full glass roof new Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2016 glass roof.

Just had my windshield replaced because of haze and bubbles every time my wipers would go across.
Now I have the wind resistance noise that is mentioned in this post ! The windshield looks aligned but maybe it has to fit perfectly. I will tell the SC about this post and some of the success with the patch job.
Sincerely, Tesla guinea pig #54,321

I'm not sure this issue is limited to cars with the glass roof. My 2017 with the solid roof has the same issue and the same gap between the windshield and the roof. My 2014 which also has a solid roof has a much narrower gap between the top of the windshield and the roof. The windshield is different so not sure when the change happened buy I'm guessing it started with AP2 hardware. I will be trying the fix on my new car and see how that goes.

Looks really good @daviddc!

It appears your roof leading edge is higher than the windshield? I'll have to check mine tomorrow, but recall my windshield is slightly higher. That would probably mean less wind noise in my case, but ideally they should be even I would imagine.

I took my car in to service. They removed and re-placed the front windshield. The gap is much better now and wind noise has reduced significantly. I may put my rubber solution back in just to see if it helps further, but for now, it is good.

Have been following this thread with great interest, as I ordered mine with the all glass roof. Got my Tesla a couple of weeks ago and had noticed no difference in wind noise between this and my old Tesla with the pano roof. I did notice that the roof edge sits flush with the leading edge of roof and the gap between the two is very small compared to some of the pics I've seen on this thread.

Have been following this thread with great interest, as I ordered mine with the all glass roof. Got my Tesla a couple of weeks ago and had noticed no difference in wind noise between this and my old Tesla with the pano roof. I did notice that the roof edge sits flush with the leading edge of roof and the gap between the two is very small compared to some of the pics I've seen on this thread.

Good observation. I suspect that the size of the gap is a key factor in generating/preventing the wind noise.

For those with the larger gap, the rubber tubing appears to solve the problem well, but I would bet there is now a design specification for the installation on the assembly line.

Interesting thought: Will the windshield installation industry be aware of this as Teslas with the all glass roof cycle through their facilities? I somehow doubt it, but would hope they'll install replacement windshields so with attention paid to minimize that gap, or they'll be having a hard time wondering how they created wind noises by simply replacing the windshield!

Just picked up our car today! Went on the highway and did not notice any wind noise. Looked at the seam between glass roof and windshield, it's pretty tight and flushed, just like a few other people have pointed out. I'd say Tesla solved this specific issue already.. :)

Thank you for the report! One less thing I’ll be worrying about. I got the all-glass, non-sunroof roof.

Just picked up our car today! Went on the highway and did not notice any wind noise. Looked at the seam between glass roof and windshield, it's pretty tight and flushed, just like a few other people have pointed out. I'd say Tesla solved this specific issue already.. :)
Could you please take a photo or two of the gap between the glass roof and windshield so we can see how they solved the problem? This would be very useful when bringing our cars that have the wind problem back to the service center for repair. Thanks!

Could you please take a photo or two of the gap between the glass roof and windshield so we can see how they solved the problem? This would be very useful when bringing our cars that have the wind problem back to the service center for repair. Thanks!
Will do! As soon as we get our baby back from the detail shop (getting PPF & window tint). Unless some other new owner can upload one before Friday. :)

Reactions: Rbcnr
Got my 90D on Jan 1. I absolutely love the glass roof. My seams seem even and flush, and it seems super quiet to me! - however I am coming from 20 years of driving (trucks and '08 Subaru.(save for one glorious stretch when I drove my dads 1983 German BMW 533i for 6 months while I overhauled my 1983 Monte Carlo(not super sport but with Glass T-tops!) in exchange for a side job at a mechanics shop when I was 16)

Btw. My only complaint about the glass roof is that the robot left its claw prints on the glass. I think I can clean it off but of all the glass in the car i have appreciated not having to maintain this often and haven't spent much time cleaning it or finding it to be anything more than a nuisance. Will try cleaning more aggressively when I set out to clean the interior roof...

I picked up my MS on Jan 6, 2017 with full glass roof. I noticed excessive wind noise, took it to Rockville service center twice, both times service tech test drove with me and even admitted that noise was excessive.

Service center got back to me and said they compared noise with other cars and noise from my car was normal and within Tesla's tolerance range. No fix!

I guess I am off to Home Depot to get the gasket and will try to fix it myself.

Disappointed.