Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wind noise in full glass roof new Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There seems to be an official factory fix:

Late 2016 P100D (2017 model year, AP2). I have a 1/4" gap between the top of the windshield and the front of the all-glass roof. So the rubber seal between the two doesn't span the gap, and likely creates a perfect whistling/wind noise resonance. The wind noise is substantial from 30mph. The flexible rubber tubing fix worked well, but, because of the size of the gap, sometimes pops out.

The Raleigh NC service center just called me to let me know that the official fix part is on order: it sounds as if it's the foam that lmsb referred to in a recent post in this thread. Open cell foam is likely a good solution, and way better iMHO than trying to reglue a roof and/or windshield. The open cells should act as a good wind baffle, and allow for drying of any trapped moisture. And, hey, if it doesn't work, a larger diameter rubber tube than the one i'm using now will work, too.

• Informative
Reactions: arcus
There seems to be an official factory fix:

Late 2016 P100D (2017 model year, AP2). I have a 1/4" gap between the top of the windshield and the front of the all-glass roof. So the rubber seal between the two doesn't span the gap, and likely creates a perfect whistling/wind noise resonance. The wind noise is substantial from 30mph. The flexible rubber tubing fix worked well, but, because of the size of the gap, sometimes pops out.

The Raleigh NC service center just called me to let me know that the official fix part is on order: it sounds as if it's the foam that lmsb referred to in a recent post in this thread. Open cell foam is likely a good solution, and way better iMHO than trying to reglue a roof and/or windshield. The open cells should act as a good wind baffle, and allow for drying of any trapped moisture. And, hey, if it doesn't work, a larger diameter rubber tube than the one i'm using now will work, too.

Update? What happened? Picking up my S Friday

I installed the rubber tubing that was referenced in this thread. Unfortunately I'm still hearing wind noise above 70 mph. I can't tell honestly if it's any better than it was before. In my car's case, the gap between the windshield and glass roof on the driver's side is bigger than the gap on the passenger side. It was evident while installing the tubing since it was much easier to put the tubing into the gap on the driver side

Awesome that this solution has worked for people, but it hasn't for me. Here's my installation. Any thoughts if I did it wrong?

Dropbox - Tesla

I picked up my new Model S in early Nov, just went to the service center this AM for a couple minor issues - one was the wind noise at 70+ MPH. I've been on cell calls and people ask me if I opened a window. We did a test drive and the engineer said that was "normal/acceptable" noise level. He said the glass roof was louder than other versions.

So, in short, they told me to accept it. I don't see a visible alignment/gap in mine, but have not put much into this concern yet. He said they tried early on to fix these and engineering finally told them its normal.

I picked up my new Model S in early Nov, just went to the service center this AM for a couple minor issues - one was the wind noise at 70+ MPH. I've been on cell calls and people ask me if I opened a window. We did a test drive and the engineer said that was "normal/acceptable" noise level. He said the glass roof was louder than other versions.

So, in short, they told me to accept it. I don't see a visible alignment/gap in mine, but have not put much into this concern yet. He said they tried early on to fix these and engineering finally told them its normal.

Are you based in San Jose? The Santa Clara service center basically told me the same thing

So, those of you that had good wind noise elimination, did you also install the tubing down the sides of the windshield? what about the back hatch, all along the edges like and "inverted U"?

Last edited:
I installed the rubber tubing that was referenced in this thread. Unfortunately I'm still hearing wind noise above 70 mph. I can't tell honestly if it's any better than it was before. In my car's case, the gap between the windshield and glass roof on the driver's side is bigger than the gap on the passenger side. It was evident while installing the tubing since it was much easier to put the tubing into the gap on the driver side

Awesome that this solution has worked for people, but it hasn't for me. Here's my installation. Any thoughts if I did it wrong?

Dropbox - Tesla

Looking at those pictures, I think you need a larger diameter tubing. The gap seems very wide... if air can get in the gap you will still have wind noise. I did mine and all wind noise is gone.
908ADFDB-4251-4B45-91FE-608E9915A97C.jpeg

Looking at those pictures, I think you need a larger diameter tubing. The gap seems very wide... if air can get in the gap you will still have wind noise. I did mine and all wind noise is gone.
View attachment 265179
Thanks, I had the same worry. What diameter tubing did you end up ordering? I ended up getting the one measured at .276” Outside Diameter, .206” Inside Diameter. I guess I'll need to get something larger

So again guys. Do you fill in the gaps around the sides of the windshield and the back hatch?

There shouldn't be a need to do the sides and back. If you feel you're having a problem, indicated by a whistle at highway speeds, you can isolate where it's coming from by temporarily covering the gaps, starting with the top of the windshield only, with blue painters tape.

If the problem goes away, there's your answer. If the problem persists, try the tape on the sides, followed by the back if the problem still exists after testing windshield and sides covered.

Reactions: Dax279
There shouldn't be a need to do the sides and back. If you feel you're having a problem, indicated by a whistle at highway speeds, you can isolate where it's coming from by temporarily covering the gaps, starting with the top of the windshield only, with blue painters tape.

If the problem goes away, there's your answer. If the problem persists, try the tape on the sides, followed by the back if the problem still exists after testing windshield and sides covered.

Great suggestion Joe. I'll give that a try.

How did the engineer determine that the levels were normal/acceptable? Did he use a sound meter and compare the reading to what may have been released by Tesla? Or was he just gauging with his own hearing? Just seems strange to me, I would definitely follow the suggestions made above and see if it makes a difference.

I remember watching a show some time ago on Tesla's manufacturing and recall one point in the video where they were touting their use of machines and they seemed to brag about the sunroof installation and how important it was to have the sunroof precisely installed each time and hence the need for a special machine. Based you your pictures, it does not appear to have been installed with too much precision.

I was very vocal with my SC yesterday. I showed them the same pictures I shared on the forum (took some more photos with coins to show how large the gap actually was). They said they've got parts on hand to fix this. Apparently it's some kind of insulation they want to install. I still feel it's a simple matter of the gap being large. When I go in I'll tell them in person. Hoping they make the right call and do the job right.

Either way I'll keep the thread updated on what fix (if any) they end up doing.

Reactions: DKPowers