Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wind Noise Increase Around 80 mph for Model S - What's the Source?

Does the wind noise in your Model S change significantly at a certain (approximate) speed?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone tried using Gummi Pfledge on their window seals to see if that reduces road noise?
I bought it over 1.5 years ago, but have not used it yet.

I had the car in for service recently, and finally had them investigate the wind noise (an annoying whistle in my case.)
They had a ride along tech try to figure out the problem, and for the first time ever, the car was dead silent! I couldn't believe it. As we were on a highway, I pushed the speed up to a speed that it would have landed my in jail I'm sure if I were caught, but the car was still silent. I was lost for words.

Later, talking about it with my wife, she pointed out it was a very humid day, excessively so very early in the AM. As such, the window seals were probably swollen, making for a tighter seal. Smart, and something I haden't thought of.

Needless to say, they did nothing that day as "no problem was found."

Days later, hotter and dryer air, and the whistle was back. Cross winds sound as if the window were open a bit.

I need to either try the Gummi Pfledge or have them address the window fit. I just don't like the idea of having the door panel removed to adjust it as can cause other problems inside the door.

EDIT: I was given an older MS loaner, and the wind noise was far worse than any car I've ever driven. The problem? The seal around the small triangle window was old and dried out. Barely touching it and I was able to see outside between the window and the seal.