Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wind noise inside the cabin

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been driving my new Model Y since last week and today I drove on a freeway for the first time with speeds > 65mph. I straight away noticed that there is a lot of wind noise inside the cabin. It is noticeable compared to my previous Q7. I was also able to hear trucks and other vehicles passing by and it is annoying. Does anyone noticed this or is it just me? I double-checked if there are any gaps that are causing the sound leak but couldn't find any. Should I be reporting to SC?

My first 3 had noticeable (loud) wind noise at highway speeds. My second 3 only 6 months later (3 months ago) is drastically quieter. There is no noticeable design difference between the two that would cause this. However the early 3 had a lip where the roof glass was installed about a credit card thickness above the windshield. When service came out for something else I showed it to them and they said the windshield should be flush with the roof glass if not slightly above the roof glass so that air hitting the windshield rolls over the roof glass instead of hitting that credit card thick wall of glass. Best solution would have been pull both pieces of glass off and reapply. I didn’t want to be without the car or have it come out worse. The roof gasket smoothed the edge the wind was catching on. Still not as quiet as the second one but way quieter now.

A great deal, if not all, of my wind noise went away when my SC replaced both my windshield and roof glass. There was a defect in my windshield that was there at delivery (depression in the glass at the top/middle) which cause the replacement, but the SC also told me the roof glass was mounted "too high", and was not installed properly at the factory. They did a great job (SC in Sterling, VA), and the roof and windshield are perfect now with no strange gaps or misalignments.

A great deal, if not all, of my wind noise went away when my SC replaced both my windshield and roof glass. There was a defect in my windshield that was there at delivery (depression in the glass at the top/middle) which cause the replacement, but the SC also told me the roof glass was mounted "too high", and was not installed properly at the factory. They did a great job (SC in Sterling, VA), and the roof and windshield are perfect now with no strange gaps or misalignments.
That's good. I will let the SC know about it and see if they can fix it. But the general consensus is that there will be some wind noise when on freeway > 65mph. At least, I will be glad that the roof is still intact.

They replaced my roof due to wind noise, prior I could hear noise from 55 mph and I live in windy area with winds above 20 mph and now with replacement it is little bit better but still can hear wind noise on 65 + mph. Do you hear any noise when you drive above 65 and have you ever measure dB in your car. I measured with the app on iPhone and now with new roof it is around 63 dB while driving 65 mph on highway and with original glass was around 67 dB

Reactions: hcdavis3