Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wind Noise new MYP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was able to significantly reduce wind noise by a series of changes.
In my case, the majority of the wind noise was from the top of both front side windows, at the top.

1) Make certain the rubber seal that is inserted into the roof line, is fully inserted. Mine was dropping down at times in spots.

2) Try to isolate where the noise comes from the most. In my case it was the top rear corner of both windows. You can isolate by several methods. Get an assistant. With a hair drier blow air (no need for heat) on the window, moving from one end to the other. Sit inside and listen. Other methods include temporary tape and drive.

3) If the noise the top of the window, carefully inspect the rubber seal that the window should seat against. If the rubber is bent or otherwise pushed in, you may need to replace. But prior to that, simply move the rubber seal where it seats with a finger to get it restored to stock position.

4) Adjust the window so it's tighter at top, assuming that's where the problem is determined to be.

5) Adjust the door to shut a mill or two tighter overall.

6) Insert a soft rubber spacer to "push" the rubber towards the window.

Best of luck,

Let us know of your progress....

In my case, the majority of the wind noise was from the top of both front side windows, at the top.

4) Adjust the window so it's tighter at top, assuming that's where the problem is determined to be.

How does one do 4 and 5? Those seem to be more of a service center fix.

Reactions: Georgesb2
How does one do 4 and 5? Those seem to be more of a service center fix.
There's a really good video on #4 which is adjusting the window on YouTube.
Basically you pull the inner door panel off, set it down, adjust one or both of the window tilt adjustment torque bolts. When you turn it counterclockwise it pushes the bottom out slightly and in turn, pushes the top in slightly.

I did it myself but if you don't have some abilities and tools, it may be best left to a mechanic.

#5 isn't difficult either and less difficult than #4.
You open the door. Mark the original location of the striker in the B pillar. It's a metal loop with two torque screws. Then you move it just slightly inward and retighten.

I hope this helps some,
Sincerely,
George Borrelli

View attachment 874310
New wind noise began after the Service Center replaced my Top Glass and adjusted body seal. My intuition was something was off. Took my MYLR back and of course the service lead said crosswind is normal.

Come to find out the passenger window does not fully close, therefore cresting this gap. No wonder here is excessive wind bodies that sounds like bursts of static.

I have a Mobile Service appointment Friday hoping they’ll adjust the window to seal correctly.
Update — the window adjustment did not resolve the wind noise. Now I’m led to believe it’s because of the windshield seal after it was replaced a few weeks ago. I don’t recall having this noise issue with the original windshield.

Reactions: Georgesb2
Update — the window adjustment did not resolve the wind noise. Now I’m led to believe it’s because of the windshield seal after it was replaced a few weeks ago. I don’t recall having this noise issue with the original windshield.
I am wrestling with similar issues on my model X I have been to the service center a few times and they even drove another new one and told me it sounds normal but it’s way too much wind leaking out of the passenger and driver lower corners in the back left.

I keep troubleshooting different, weatherstripping, and other methods, but so far no luck. I’m going to look into these wind deflectors has anybody tried those?

I install this and keeps it quiet for sure. Not sure about the window seal.

I am wrestling with similar issues on my model X I have been to the service center a few times and they even drove another new one and told me it sounds normal but it’s way too much wind leaking out of the passenger and driver lower corners in the back left.

I keep troubleshooting different, weatherstripping, and other methods, but so far no luck. I’m going to look into these wind deflectors has anybody tried those?
I bolstered the inside seal with foam adhesive strips and it cut my issue down by 50-65%. I don’t think about it as much anymore. Sort of blends in too so it’s not an eyesore.

I install this and keeps it quiet for sure. Not sure about the window seal.
I ordered the one that goes between windshield and to glass. We will see

Reactions: Wu01ok
Picked up my P last weekend and I have substantial wind noise above front windshield. My 22 LR did not have any. Anyone else having issues with recent Fremont builds?

If your windshield is not higher than the roof panel, the airflow will be interrupted by the roof glass panel causing excessive wind noise. Some model y 2023 has are installed a little lower (including mine). I replaced the windshield (since it was cracked) and the service technician re-installed it slightly higher. He is the one who noticed it and re-align the new windshield to sit higher than the roof panel. Now there is very little to no wind noise cruising down the Highway at 80mph.

Reactions: fsb1 and Georgesb2
If your windshield is not higher than the roof panel, the airflow will be interrupted by the roof glass panel causing excessive wind noise. Some model y 2023 has are installed a little lower (including mine). I replaced the windshield (since it was cracked) and the service technician re-installed it slightly higher. He is the one who noticed it and re-align the new windshield to sit higher than the roof panel. Now there is very little to no wind noise cruising down the Highway at 80mph.
Wow. Thanks for the info. Just got a Model3 for my son and there is no wind noise. I guess I’ll just wait for it to break. It’s almost a guarantee

1) Make certain the rubber seal that is inserted into the roof line, is fully inserted. Mine was dropping down at times in spots.

2) Try to isolate where the noise comes from the most. In my case it was the top rear corner of both windows. You can isolate by several methods. Get an assistant. With a hair drier blow air (no need for heat) on the window, moving from one end to the other. Sit inside and listen. Other methods include temporary tape and drive.

3) If the noise the top of the window, carefully inspect the rubber seal that the window should seat against. If the rubber is bent or otherwise pushed in, you may need to replace. But prior to that, simply move the rubber seal where it seats with a finger to get it restored to stock position.

6) Insert a soft rubber spacer to "push" the rubber towards the window.

Best of luck,

Hi @Georgesb2 I know this is an old post, but wonder if you are referring to a Model Y as far as the window tilt adjustment (#4 on your list), and if so, where you found the adjustments for this? Model Y (2023 anyway) is different than Model 3 adjustment points. I'm struggling to find the adjustment point in the door.

Hi guys, I'm looking to eliminate road noise even further in my MYLR and was looking at this kit from the US.

Has anyone any experience using these kits / installing them? Do they work? Are there any local distributors for this kit in Australia?

Tx,

R.