Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wind noise reduction kit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does the wind noise reduction or car seal kit make an appreciable difference for the Model Y? I have done it before for my old car and it made very only minor improvements, not sure if would do it again. Now the Tesla is brand new so it's not quite necessary at all?

I like this thing. Installation is annoying and success (and reduction of noise) depends a lot on your car's gap lengths, especially the gap between the windshield and the roof. My gap was almost too small to fit the seal in so I had a bear of a time with installation. But sealing that small gap and the gaps on the sides and rear of the roof definitely made a difference for me in terms of wind noise. Your mileage may vary.

Reactions: JonB65
I like this thing. Installation is annoying and success (and reduction of noise) depends a lot on your car's gap lengths, especially the gap between the windshield and the roof. My gap was almost too small to fit the seal in so I had a bear of a time with installation. But sealing that small gap and the gaps on the sides and rear of the roof definitely made a difference for me in terms of wind noise. Your mileage may vary.
I've got one ordered. I noticed that a lot of wind noise seems to be coming from the roof so I'm hoping it helps.

I did the door/frunk/hatch seals too, primarily to keep out dirt - didn't really notice if there was any sound reduction but I didn't notice any wind noise to begin with. If you choose to install the seals ensure you clean the sealing surfaces very well and don't skimp on the adhesion promoter.

Reactions: Pianewman
Yeah....at least its cheap. I'm not sure if there is any real noise reduction, though with it installed the doors do close with a nicer sound (less like a metal clunk and more like a "thunk"...hard to describe). I mainly have them from less dust/dirt in the door sills, but....there is still plenty of dust that gets through. There are still plenty of holes/spaces for dirt to get in, and the kits don't necessarily seal that great everywhere anyway.

The better solution is a black vinyl wrap over the seams. The air just whisps over it.
A00FF022-11E4-41FE-9EAA-9E4F6A888694.jpeg

Did the door seal kit, the glass roof liner, sound deadening mat'l in the A pillars, and lined under all carpets, frunk and trunk and wheel wheels with sound reduction material. Definitely helped, not dramatically but noticeable, not exactly sure which installation was most helpful. Quite cheap to do, and relatively easy projects.

I just installed them on my model 3 and I think it made a very noticeable difference. The wind noise while driving on the highway always bugged me. But after installing, I didn’t notice any wind noises. It could be a placebo effect but I’ve crossed the wind noise off my list of thinks I was disappointed in on my 3. 😆

Most of the feedback I’ve seen on YT, here and Google say it’s snake oil. Munro Live says wind noise is largely aerodynamics and not really seals. I tend to believe him.
"Aerodynamic" means no big gaps between glass/panels. If your vehicle doesn't have big gaps, great. Otherwise, sealing them will help. Whether it will help enough for you to notice a difference is another question. And if you notice a difference, whether it's placebo is yet another question, though thankfully a meaningless one if all you care about is noise (rather than, say, power efficiency).