Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wind Noise Reduction

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

drewski

Supporting Member
Sep 22, 2019
SF Bay Area
My car had a lot of wind noise from the side windows at even not so high speeds so I didn't think it had the Tesla Wind Noise Fix outlined in the PDF attached.

Surprisingly, when I took a look at the side of the windshield frame, it did have the weatherstripping installed! But it was so small it wasn't in contact with anything -- the door window at the top and the door body by the side mirror mount!

This is not the contact between the front of the window and weatherstripping that you can see from inside the cabin - this seals the small gap between the window edge & windshield frame. I should have taken a picture to illustrate . . . :rolleyes:

This $10 in parts and 1/2 hr max of work so worth a try, if you have that gap up there and wind noise from the side windows at speed.

I decided to get this D shaped weatherstripping to replace the ineffective installed pieces.
IMG_20200330_221429.jpg
IMG_20200330_222814.jpg

Some older reviews complained it wasn't 3M adhesive (which it wasn't) and the adhesive was "old stock" and didn't adhere. Mine came with a roll of 3M double sided tape, but the original was plenty sticky, so didn't need to replace that. Lucky? :eek:
IMG_20200330_221501.jpg

Here's a comparison of the cross section of what I removed and what the new stuff looks like. Like I said, the installed stuff wasn't even close to contacting any other surface so either started out that flat or just collapsed over time? o_O
IMG_20200330_225225.jpg
IMG_20200330_225255.jpg

Actually, I don't see how this could have been the spec'd piece to do this job, even maximally stretched out.

Anyway, I used GooGone and Rubbing Alcohol to clean the windshield frame area instead of the ridiculously expensive BetaPrime that the ritzy SC uses.

Start above the edge of the window where the main rubber weatherstripping ends. Apply next to (but not on) the windshield frame to the bottom.
IMG_20200401_200642.jpg

To that last point, the person who installed my "fix" followed the existing weatherstripping vs. the windshield frame, so towards the bottom where the frame and weatherstripping diverge, even if the right size weatherstripping was used, this would have reduced the effectiveness.
IMG_20200401_200746.jpg

You can see the tight seal of the door window front-edge against the weatherstripping and that probably a smaller cross-section item vs. the 15mm that I got would work too.
IMG_20200331_145418.jpg
IMG_20200401_200841.jpg

The impact was a very noticeable reduction (not elimination) of wind noise! This helps to a point with the soft top, but should be even more effective with the hard top on.

In the last picture the window should be against that curved ridge above it --- it's just ~1/8" higher, but looks larger -- if I can just get my passenger door trim off, I can raise the passenger side window to actually make a good seal at the top against the roof weatherstripping (leaks water, in addition to more wind noise)!

Attachments

• SVC-10-10-014_Wind_Noise_Repair.pdf
    364.3 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
Yes, i'm doing a more general sound reduction similar to the Tesla Stage 2.

maybe radio upgrade since stuff is ripped out.

Wish I had the knowledge and mechanical skills that you have o_O, purchased the single din radio (Pioneer AVH-3500NEX), need to find someone I can trust to install it :(. Had one of the Tucson Rangers at the house today to rotate tires on the M3 and he noticed the radio on my work bench, said he had purchased the same unit and loves it.:)

Thank you so much for posting about this! I followed your instructions and it made a huge improvement. The only thing I wish I had done was used a single piece across the entire windshield. I did both door and then figured I’d try it along the top of the windshield where it meets the top. Also made an improvement there hence why I wish I just did a single piece from drivers side all the way to passenger side. Cheers for the tips and Amazon link!