Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wind noise seems somewhat obtrusive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m really enjoying the M3 so far, but I feel like this car is pretty noisy at speeds above 60 mph, specifically out of the upper right side of the car. For a $60k car, I guess my expectation is for it to ride a little more silently.

Unsure if that’s a normal thing for all M3s. All these stories I’ve read over the last few months about M3 production quality issues has me wondering if mine has a defect every time I come across something bothersome.

Oh that looks perfect :D Definitely ordering that. Hopefully that actually works!

It reduced my wind noise considerably. Watch the installation video, it's useful. The only issue I had was the video showed one person installing it but it kept slipping out for me until I had my wife come to the garage and hold one spot midpoint while I finished tucking it the rest of the way around.

Got our AWD 5 days ago and have put on 600 highway miles. I find near zero wind noise and moderate road (tire) noise. Less wind noise than our 2017 Volvo and much less than the 2012 Mini. The Volvo has less road noise however. Overall our Model 3 is very pleasant on long trips.

I’m really enjoying the M3 so far, but I feel like this car is pretty noisy at speeds above 60 mph, specifically out of the upper right side of the car. For a $60k car, I guess my expectation is for it to ride a little more silently.

Unsure if that’s a normal thing for all M3s. All these stories I’ve read over the last few months about M3 production quality issues has me wondering if mine has a defect every time I come across something bothersome.
Mine came standard with the wind noise above 55mph tried RPMs rubber gasket and didn't notice any reduction. Just got used to it and turn the radio up!

In general, the model 3 just doesn't have very good sound insulation in the zero-frame doors.

On top of that, take a look at the roof glass on your car and check if it lines up. I've seen a few posts of people who have the sunroof portion (above the driver) which is mounted higher up or is not in alignment with the large piece of rear glass, or the windshield itself could have misalignment issues. I'm not trying to make you paranoid, I'd just say look into it!

• Informative
Reactions: bnsfengineer
I had my 9-17 build "S" for 7 months and is very quiet. We took delivery of the 3 and didn't notice it until one day when getting on the freeway without the radio on. I'm not referring to road noise but wind sounding like it comes from around the mirrors or the front pillars. I purchased RPMs rubber gasket and made no difference so now I just have the radio on!

I just got the RPM Tesla spline for the glass gaps and did a road test before and after. No difference. Maybe it is better for earlier builds. Mine was June/18.
That said, I hear a little fluttering once I'm hitting 55, and it is a soft SHHH sound as I speed up. The road noise is significantly louder, so I wouldn't call it an issue.

I just got the RPM Tesla spline for the glass gaps and did a road test before and after. No difference. Maybe it is better for earlier builds. Mine was June/18.
That said, I hear a little fluttering once I'm hitting 55, and it is a soft SHHH sound as I speed up. The road noise is significantly louder, so I wouldn't call it an issue.
Yup pretty much same as mine... build 3-17

I guess it’s hard to gauge from here if what I’m hearing is normal or not. What might be loud or quiet to one person is vice versa to another. All I know is that I drove my Camry for the past 5 years and haven’t had wind noise pop into my head once. With M3, I pretty much consciously notice it at least once every time I drive the car.

Haven’t gotten RPM part delivered yet, but I’m a little discouraged by the reports if it not working for some :(

I've started noticing wind noise on mine too. I thought it was a rattle at first, since the sound is a bit sharp, but I went on a drive yesterday with a Tesla technician and he said it was wind noise.

Honestly, though, a bit of music will drown it out pretty quickly, and it's already the quietest car I've ever been in.

I've definitely noticed the same thing. I have been driving the same freeways to work for ~18 years. I noticed immediately that my new M3 (which I love, btw..besides the driver's side speaker not being installed correctly, and actually pressing against the windshield) is noisier at higher speeds than my previous 2 cars (a Honda Accord and Kia Optima). My issue is more road noise vs wind noise.