TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Wind noise seems somewhat obtrusive

Discussion in 'Model 3: Driving Dynamics' started by vikefan, Aug 29, 2018.

Tags:
  1. vikefan

vikefan Member

I’m really enjoying the M3 so far, but I feel like this car is pretty noisy at speeds above 60 mph, specifically out of the upper right side of the car. For a $60k car, I guess my expectation is for it to ride a little more silently.

Unsure if that’s a normal thing for all M3s. All these stories I’ve read over the last few months about M3 production quality issues has me wondering if mine has a defect every time I come across something bothersome.

2. MikeATL

MikeATL Member

Wind noise?

Some people have an issue with that, I think. RPM made this:
    Model 3 Windshield Wind Noise Reduction Kit

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  3. vikefan

vikefan Member

Oh that looks perfect :D Definitely ordering that. Hopefully that actually works!

4. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

It reduced my wind noise considerably. Watch the installation video, it's useful. The only issue I had was the video showed one person installing it but it kept slipping out for me until I had my wife come to the garage and hold one spot midpoint while I finished tucking it the rest of the way around.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  5. vikefan

vikefan Member

Awesome, thanks for the review =)

6. MikeATL

MikeATL Member

Let me know if that was the issue... don't have my M3 yet so have never experienced this issue.

7. cmyke

cmyke Member

You may want to have the shop take a look. Ok the test drive I did, I couldn’t tell the difference between 30mph and 90mph :)

• Like x 1
  8. AnarchyEOD

AnarchyEOD Member

Zero issues with mine, call the service phone number

• Like x 1
  9. DR61

DR61 Member

Got our AWD 5 days ago and have put on 600 highway miles. I find near zero wind noise and moderate road (tire) noise. Less wind noise than our 2017 Volvo and much less than the 2012 Mini. The Volvo has less road noise however. Overall our Model 3 is very pleasant on long trips.

10. bnsfengineer

bnsfengineer Member

Mine came standard with the wind noise above 55mph tried RPMs rubber gasket and didn't notice any reduction. Just got used to it and turn the radio up!

11. bradhs

bradhs Member

There is less noise than my previous Model S P85D. (Model 3 P3D+)

12. wbhokie

wbhokie Member

In general, the model 3 just doesn't have very good sound insulation in the zero-frame doors.

On top of that, take a look at the roof glass on your car and check if it lines up. I've seen a few posts of people who have the sunroof portion (above the driver) which is mounted higher up or is not in alignment with the large piece of rear glass, or the windshield itself could have misalignment issues. I'm not trying to make you paranoid, I'd just say look into it!

• Informative x 1
  13. TexasTeslaRacing

Their is more road and wind noise in a 2017 BMW 330e I drove this week. Tesla 3 is very quiet.

14. bnsfengineer

bnsfengineer Member

I had my 9-17 build "S" for 7 months and is very quiet. We took delivery of the 3 and didn't notice it until one day when getting on the freeway without the radio on. I'm not referring to road noise but wind sounding like it comes from around the mirrors or the front pillars. I purchased RPMs rubber gasket and made no difference so now I just have the radio on!

15. CarterStC

CarterStC Member

I just got the RPM Tesla spline for the glass gaps and did a road test before and after. No difference. Maybe it is better for earlier builds. Mine was June/18.
    That said, I hear a little fluttering once I'm hitting 55, and it is a soft SHHH sound as I speed up. The road noise is significantly louder, so I wouldn't call it an issue.

16. bnsfengineer

bnsfengineer Member

Yup pretty much same as mine... build 3-17

17. vikefan

vikefan Member

I guess it’s hard to gauge from here if what I’m hearing is normal or not. What might be loud or quiet to one person is vice versa to another. All I know is that I drove my Camry for the past 5 years and haven’t had wind noise pop into my head once. With M3, I pretty much consciously notice it at least once every time I drive the car.

Haven’t gotten RPM part delivered yet, but I’m a little discouraged by the reports if it not working for some :(

18. firebat

firebat Member

I've started noticing wind noise on mine too. I thought it was a rattle at first, since the sound is a bit sharp, but I went on a drive yesterday with a Tesla technician and he said it was wind noise.

Honestly, though, a bit of music will drown it out pretty quickly, and it's already the quietest car I've ever been in.

19. Skelly

Skelly Member

I've definitely noticed the same thing. I have been driving the same freeways to work for ~18 years. I noticed immediately that my new M3 (which I love, btw..besides the driver's side speaker not being installed correctly, and actually pressing against the windshield) is noisier at higher speeds than my previous 2 cars (a Honda Accord and Kia Optima). My issue is more road noise vs wind noise.

20. kmcdds

kmcdds Member

I noticed the wind noise at highway speeds from Day 1. I won't bother getting the Windshield Noise Reduction Kit based on other peoples comments.