Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wind Noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same owner, same route, same SPL meter. Oh, and same color too.

Interesting that he's getting roughly the same dB reading in both cars. Subjectively, our Model 3 is significantly louder than our Model S, for both road noise (except on smooth roads, like in these videos) and of course the wind noise. The earlier posts in this thread reporting that the S is ~68 dB and the 3 is ~74 dB seem to match my own experience.

I don't mind the road noise in the 3 -- I expect it to be a little louder than the S, since this is a different class of car. But I believe the wind noise I'm experiencing is, ultimately, a design flaw. I'm just hoping Tesla will be willing and able to come up with a fix!

I have "higher than expected" wind noise when driving my 3 above ~40mph and I know *exactly* where it's coming from. It's the black triangle trim piece above the side mirrors. Both the driver and passenger sides are about the same on my car. Pictures of the drivers side below. Please excuse the pollen. Not much I can do about it this time of year.

The other day I taped over that area and the wind noise was reduced and the "whistling" sound I've been hearing was gone.

@doubleohwhat I'm pretty sure Tesla has a fix for this one...the techs I talked with implied there were other wind noises they've encountered (different than my situation) that they do have the ability to fix. Have you talked to your service center?

I'm very concerned about noise as well, as I'm quite deaf, and so have a harder time pulling voices out from background noise even with my very expensive hearing aids. I suspect I can live with 68 dB, but does anyone know if Tesla actually has a standard for interior noise, above which they would consider it to be actionable?

One comment about the video is that the audio meter isn't at ear level, for obvious reasons, so noise levels might be higher at ear level, particularly if they are driven by wind noise, because your ears are closer to the windows/seams than the console is.

Reactions: Jamezam
RPM Tesla now is offering a simple and easy to install kit to reduce wind noise on the model 3. Here is a link to a video on how to install it. Full disclosure I have no financial interest in this company or products but I did help conduct sound level tests. However, ultimately, the best sound meter is your ears and whether it reduces the noise for you.
VIDEO
Does it really make a noticeable difference? I know they say 5-9db but it is it noticeable to your ears?

It was definitely noticeable to my ears and to Marks. We tried different roads and different speeds. We would repeat a run with and without on the same road and then go try on a different road and different speed. We always tested in both directions to ensure we were comparing apples to apples as close as possible. However, it will depend on the size of the gap and how well the glass is sealed. What I believe is happening is the channel (gap) acts as a resonant cavity for certain frequencies and if those frequencies fall in the spectrum that you are most sensitive to it will annoy you. If not, you will tune it out. I didn't have a spectrum analyzer, but that would have added an interesting dimension to the analysis. Also we found the wind noise to be louder near the corners of the windshield.

• Informative
Reactions: DR61
I'm very impressed with RPM Tesla for this quick response and affordable solution. But, if it is really this easy and cheap to knock cabin noise 6 to 8 db is huge (34% to 46% perceived noise reduction), WTH Tesla? I feel bad for RPM to say this, but Tesla should just make this happen, right? Anyway if Tesla hasn't figured this out before they build mine, RPM will get another customer.

Reactions: McFlurri
if it is really this easy and cheap to knock cabin noise 6 to 8 db is huge (34% to 46% perceived noise reduction), WTH Tesla?

For the same reason, I'm skeptical of the magnitude of the advertised decibel reduction (5-9db in the video, 5-8dB on the product page).

Hopefully someone independent will do some testing with a decibel meter and report back on the results.

Reactions: McFlurri
I'm very concerned about noise as well, as I'm quite deaf, and so have a harder time pulling voices out from background noise even with my very expensive hearing aids.

One comment about the video is that the audio meter isn't at ear level, for obvious reasons, so noise levels might be higher at ear level, particularly if they are driven by wind noise, because your ears are closer to the windows/seams than the console is.
Like @dwharrison both my wife and I are hearing impaired. It is curious that different background noises affect each of us differently! We both have conditions that hearing aids don't address. It will be interesting to hear what the sound levels are like,,,,,,,once we get our model 3. Unless the car is almost dead silent at speed, there will probably be no easy fix for us. However, different frequencies affect each of us differently, so you never know.

There was a noticeable wind noise at 55-60mph from near the side mirrors which improved when the SC replaced the mirror appliqués (whatever that part is, it is a package which includes the gasket they thought was the culprit).

I ran experiment with tape of the sides of the front window and around the top glass above the driver, covering the area of the advertised rubber gasket, removing sections in turn, and checking the dB with my phone at 60mph, and found no measurable or perceived difference.

My impression is that there are two dominant sound sources, one is a resonance chamber effect augmenting road noise which I perceive as coming from behind me and the other is wind noise at high-speed only coming from in front of the passenger compartment below the front edge of the windshield.

There was a noticeable wind noise at 55-60mph from near the side mirrors which improved when the SC replaced the mirror appliqués (whatever that part is, it is a package which includes the gasket they thought was the culprit).
I don't have my Model 3 yet, but I noticed on all 15 I saw at Raleigh Service (up to VIN 152xx), that plastic triangluar piece that the side mirror is mounted to sticks out past the edge of the A pillar. Seems like an obvious source of noise. Not sure why it is like that. Maybe someone can post a picture.