Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wind Noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So after going in with wind noise complaints twice and having two different technicians tell me they dont think its excessive I asked them nicely to still have a look for my peace of mind. Turns out they have found an issue with the windshield, it's not sitting flush with the glass roof and is causing uneven airflow resulting in the noise I'm hearing. They'll be removing and reinstalling the windshield to fix the issue. Fingers crossed it goes well and doesn't cause any other issues.

So after going in with wind noise complaints twice and having two different technicians tell me they dont think its excessive I asked them nicely to still have a look for my peace of mind. Turns out they have found an issue with the windshield, it's not sitting flush with the glass roof and is causing uneven airflow resulting in the noise I'm hearing. They'll be removing and reinstalling the windshield to fix the issue. Fingers crossed it goes well and doesn't cause any other issues.

Can you provide some pictures of the flaw so we can compare with our cars?

Shoot sorry I didnt take photos of it. I thought I had but it's of a friend's windshield that doesnt have the issue. It's not something you could tell visually anyway. The only difference I could tell was the insulation in that gap wasn't seamless with the windshield in a small section of that corner above the driver. My wind noise is mostly in that a-pillar and crossbeam above the driver, i couldnt experience the same noise level on the passenger side. It first starts around 70kph and then gets worse around 120kph or higher. I couldn't stand the sound so I avoided driving that fast. FYI driving 120-140kph in Toronto freeways is pretty normal even though the speed limit is 100kph.

• Informative
Reactions: EV-lutioin
I got my car back without the windshield replacement. They said they've ordered it and it'll take 3 weeks to get so I'll be contacted when its time. I've since taken some photos. I noticed by running my fingers along the seams from center of the car to the edge that the glass panels are flush in the center but aren't near the edges. This is the case for windshield-moonroof and moonroof-rear glass seams. To me it seems the moonroof glass is the one that isn't flush with either of the other two glass surfaces. A friend's model 3 whose wind noise isnt as bad also has this unevenness but seems less from pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_3699.JPG
    IMG_3699.JPG
    102.2 KB · Views: 363
  • IMG_3700.JPG
    IMG_3700.JPG
    140.4 KB · Views: 344
I got my car back without the windshield replacement. They said they've ordered it and it'll take 3 weeks to get so I'll be contacted when its time. I've since taken some photos. I noticed by running my fingers along the seams from center of the car to the edge that the glass panels are flush in the center but aren't near the edges. This is the case for windshield-moonroof and moonroof-rear glass seams. To me it seems the moonroof glass is the one that isn't flush with either of the other two glass surfaces. A friend's model 3 whose wind noise isnt as bad also has this unevenness but seems less from pictures.

Mine looks exactly the same! When I mentioned it at delivery, they said since it passed inspection, it's "normal" or within spec. :rolleyes:
I wonder if this is from a certain batch of VINs. Mine is 53xx

Would you be willing to post the service ticket you received for this so the rest of us with this issue can reference it when we contact our SC?

Tp6y2cN8S26OFRd0wa0S2w.jpg v1e0DgJzRZ6zHcFS1IxXmA.jpg

On my June build the windshield and the moonroof are lined up perfectly. However my rubber seals have pretty big gaps on the driver front and rear at the A and B pillar. Is this worth taking in to get fixed? Will this cause any negative effects down the road? I looked at some new 3's at the dealer the other day and all the seals looked perfect on those cars. My worry is that they will take the glass off to fix the seals and then it won't be lined up perfectly like it is now. My wind noise is pretty bad over 55 mph though.

Between windshield and moonroof glass on driver's side:
IMG_20180731_225125.jpg

Between moonroof and rear window glass on driver's side:

IMG_20180731_225220.jpg IMG_20180731_225233.jpg IMG_20180731_225308.jpg

Mine looks exactly the same! When I mentioned it at delivery, they said since it passed inspection, it's "normal" or within spec. :rolleyes:
I wonder if this is from a certain batch of VINs. Mine is 53xx

Would you be willing to post the service ticket you received for this so the rest of us with this issue can reference it when we contact our SC?

View attachment 321705 View attachment 321706
“Found during inspection for wind noise that the windshield is sitting under flush to roof glass creating turbulence/ wind noise.”

My VIN is in 283** range

• Helpful
Reactions: EV-lutioin
Hey guys, i'll be getting my windshield replaced middle of next week and will report back. I noticed something else to do with the windshield and would like to hear from others if they have the same thing. The gap between headliner and windshield on the front is quite large in my car, i noticed it when running wires for my dashcam and didnt think anything of it. I asked a fellow model 3 owner and he says his gap is quite tight, he could barely fit in one cable and I on the other hand am able to fit 2 cables and still have enough room for a 3rd. This seems to confirm that the windshield isn't sitting properly in my car. Hoping it gets resolved next week and they dont mess up anything else.

SC decided not to replace windshield, instead they adjusted the leading seal. Can still hear the wind fluttering above me. I even tried the electrical tape covering the seam solution but didnt help. Do I need to cover the gaps that run along the body too? It seems the techs really dont want to replace the windshield, i've been in twice and both times they've sent my car back having barely touched it.

• Informative
Reactions: BioSehnsucht
Sometimes it helps to keep insisting or try another service center. I had issues with my included charge cable and was told they were recalling some. I didn't have a serial number in the recall range, and when I took it to the SC they tested it and it worked that one time so they told me it was the electric connection at my house!

But next time I was at the service center (different one) I explained I was still having the issue and they swapped it immediately. No issues with the red icon on the charge port anymore.

-Randy

7749AEFD-BAA3-4D22-B7EA-E64E28E7F4BF.jpeg
38DDA352-D039-441D-B4CB-C45F94D82CAC.jpeg
The service center was able to fix my wind noise issue. The plastic applique by the mirrors were causing wind noise for me. The plastic piece was protruding instead of being flush which caused wind turbulence in that area. You can see driver side popping out versus passenger side is flush.

Reactions: Mobsidian