Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wind Noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any model 3 owners notice wind noise in their cars with the windows rolled up? In my car I would hear it sometimes and sometimes not. Seems intermittent. Has anyone brought this to the attention of their service center? What was the outcome?

Wind noise seems to a bit of an issue with Teslas in general (lots of posts here over the years). The frameless door design doesn't seem to help, and, in general, the various "seals" seem less than perfect. One of the more recent threads on the Model S involved the all-glass roof there and gap between it and the windshield. Some owners were buying skinny weatherstrip tubing to stuff into the gaps as I recall. The gap itself seemed to be variable from one car to the next (pointing to Tesla's challenges with build tolerances).

Reactions: JFW1103
My previous model s and our 2017 volt don't have this wind noise issue. Did the service center fix the issue for you?

It is not my car - just borrowing it for a few days. The owner can bring it up with the SC if he notices and cares.
He has a Model S too, so should be able to compare the two.
He also has a Roadster which has extreme wind noise, so the Model 3 is very quiet by comparison to that.

Our Model 3 has wind noise that starts around 40mph, and gets louder as speed increases.

It sounds like the noise is coming from air turbulence between the back edge of the hood and the base of the windshield, where the wiper blades are nested.

I took our car to the Centinela Service Center, and they spent quite a bit of time investigating. Ultimately, they acknowledged it and agreed with me about the noise -- but also said that this is typical for the Model 3 and there's no fix available at this time. They also drove other Model 3s, specifically listening for this wind noise, and said they were equivalent.

I submitted feedback on Tuesday and escalated it the executive team... they called yesterday to discuss, but said there was no fix that they were aware of.

We need more owners to submit complaints about this, so they will prioritize a solution... so if you've noticed this same wind noise, please also "Ask a Question" and escalate it to the executive team.

Go to My Tesla, then click on your vehicle. On the next page click "Ask a Question"-- fill that out with info about your wind noise, and be sure to check the box to escalate to the executive team.

Thanks!

upload_2018-3-29_7-56-11.png

Any model 3 owners notice wind noise in their cars with the windows rolled up? In my car I would hear it sometimes and sometimes not. Seems intermittent. Has anyone brought this to the attention of their service center? What was the outcome?

Decibel test in
Tesla Model 3 review video by Larry Benjamin. I answer viewer questions about the car and give information after owning the car for 6 weeks and 2000 miles.....
He measures it's okay

I have "higher than expected" wind noise when driving my 3 above ~40mph and I know *exactly* where it's coming from. It's the black triangle trim piece above the side mirrors. Both the driver and passenger sides are about the same on my car. Pictures of the drivers side below. Please excuse the pollen. Not much I can do about it this time of year.

IMG_20180330_192114.jpg IMG_20180330_192206.jpg

The other day I taped over that area and the wind noise was reduced and the "whistling" sound I've been hearing was gone.

Mark of RPM Tesla and I ran some sound tests using two different sound meters on A scale and we got the same reading as Seattlelite2004 did of around 74dbA for the 3 but the reading for my S was 68dbA for the same test. The difference is audible to the human ear and due to its frequency a bit annoying. We are trying different solutions and if we find one that works Mark will probably offer it for sale at RPM.

Our Model 3 has wind noise that starts around 40mph, and gets louder as speed increases.

It sounds like the noise is coming from air turbulence between the back edge of the hood and the base of the windshield, where the wiper blades are nested.

I took our car to the Centinela Service Center, and they spent quite a bit of time investigating. Ultimately, they acknowledged it and agreed with me about the noise -- but also said that this is typical for the Model 3 and there's no fix available at this time. They also drove other Model 3s, specifically listening for this wind noise, and said they were equivalent.

I submitted feedback on Tuesday and escalated it the executive team... they called yesterday to discuss, but said there was no fix that they were aware of.

We need more owners to submit complaints about this, so they will prioritize a solution... so if you've noticed this same wind noise, please also "Ask a Question" and escalate it to the executive team.

Go to My Tesla, then click on your vehicle. On the next page click "Ask a Question"-- fill that out with info about your wind noise, and be sure to check the box to escalate to the executive team.

Thanks!

View attachment 290180
Thanks for the tip. I've reported through My Tesla.

Reactions: Andrew
Note that the Motortrend and Larry Benjamin sound tests are using 19" wheels and the older, tighter suspension. The newer softer suspension and 18" wheels should be quieter. The only question is the relative contributions to noise by the wheels/suspension vs. wind.