Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wind noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After 7~ service centre visits and another 5~ mobile visits over the course of 2 years (since huge queues) I'm at my wits end.

Last visit today at MK. They undid all the work that was done previously by MK.

Driver's door and passengers' door get extreme wind noise, of the type of being unable to have a normal conversation in the car and of roughly 90dB at the peak.

Since the definition of insanity is to keep repeating the same thing over and over again and expect a different result, I'm curious to know if there are any professionals that someone can recommend to fix the wind noise?

Many thanks in advance.

Kirts, I'm over here in Connecticut, US and having a similar issue with my brand new Model 3. I took delivery 1 month ago, and there is major wind noise from the driver window - B-pillar. Have had it serviced TWICE and still there is wind noise.

At least I think I have isolated the cause: It seems to be the alignment of the driver window/door/B-pillar. They are NOT aligned!!

The issue is the driver window is canted OUT by about 1/8 inch from the B-pillar. The driver front window, B-pillar & rear window are NOT FLUSH. Also the bottom of the driver door is canted IN by about 1/8 inch. The hood of the car is also askew -- driver front edge of hood is up by 1/8 inch, and passenger side is indented by 1/8 inch.

On the passenger side, the doors, windows and B-pillar all line up flush with one another.

Crazy, right? Anyone have this same issue?

Reactions: Georgesb2 and kirts
After 7~ service centre visits and another 5~ mobile visits over the course of 2 years (since huge queues) I'm at my wits end.

Last visit today at MK. They undid all the work that was done previously by MK.

Driver's door and passengers' door get extreme wind noise, of the type of being unable to have a normal conversation in the car and of roughly 90dB at the peak.

Since the definition of insanity is to keep repeating the same thing over and over again and expect a different result, I'm curious to know if there are any professionals that someone can recommend to fix the wind noise?

Many thanks in advance.
My Mercedes has these to cover the door panel gaps. You may try something like this.
6FA96FF1-FD52-4612-BDE0-BBE07A1FF150.png

You need to start experimenting by taping up gaps one by one. It’s the only way. When you find what stops it, then go looking for the cause. In my case it was due to a gap between the chrome strip that runs along the top of driver’s door and the wing mirror bracket. It was short by about 5mm - that’s all it took to generate massive wind noise. A 5min job to fill it with sealer did the job.

@pdk42 is it possible to share some photos for reference to see exactly where was the issue and how you fixed it if you don't mind?

I appreciate the explanation is very clear, it's just a photo is a thousand words sometimes :)
I did do a post here about it. Hope it helps!

I did do a post here about it. Hope it helps!

Many thanks, it does! I would've never expected that this tiny gap could cause such issues.

Reactions: pdk42
You need to start experimenting by taping up gaps one by one. It’s the only way. When you find what stops it, then go looking for the cause. In my case it was due to a gap between the chrome strip that runs along the top of driver’s door and the wing mirror bracket. It was short by about 5mm - that’s all it took to generate massive wind noise and 5min job to fill it with sealer did the job.
I would also like to thank pdk42 for the wind noise solution, I just pushed in some rubber packaging into the 3mm gap and goodbye wind noise - amazing result! Thank you so much.

Reactions: pdk42
The noise on my M3 seems like it’s coming from the area of the driver’s side view mirror. It sounds like I’ve caught a plastic grocery bag under the car; believe me, I’ve looked! Strangely, the noise seems to go away when I roll down the window to listen. Does any of this sound consistent with the problem that pdk42 solved? This noise is essentially the only annoyance with my new car that I can’t yet figure out the source and how to fix. Thanks!

The noise on my M3 seems like it’s coming from the area of the driver’s side view mirror. It sounds like I’ve caught a plastic grocery bag under the car; believe me, I’ve looked! Strangely, the noise seems to go away when I roll down the window to listen. Does any of this sound consistent with the problem that pdk42 solved? This noise is essentially the only annoyance with my new car that I can’t yet figure out the source and how to fix. Thanks!
Borrow a glass suction pad attach it to you window and pull the window towards yourself to see if the noise disappears. I suspect your drivers door window is not putting sufficient pressure on the sealing top gasket when closed and may require adjusting.

I would also like to thank pdk42 for the wind noise solution, I just pushed in some rubber packaging into the 3mm gap and goodbye wind noise - amazing result! Thank you so much.
Also having wind noise on my drivers side window near the top right above my ear.
When I open the door, I notice the rubber is slightly bent which I think is the cause.

What rubber did you buy and how did you install it?

I was able to significantly reduce wind noise by a series of changes.
In my case, the majority of the wind noise was from the top of both front side windows, at the top.

1) Make certain the rubber seal that is inserted into the roof line, is fully inserted. Mine was dropping down at times in spots.

2) Try to isolate where the noise comes from the most. In my case it was the top rear corner of both windows. You can isolate by several methods. Get an assistant. With a hair drier blow air (no need for heat) on the window, moving from one end to the other. Sit inside and listen. Other methods include temporary tape and drive.

3) If the noise the top of the window, carefully inspect the rubber seal that the window should seat against. If the rubber is bent or otherwise pushed in, you may need to replace. But prior to that, simply move the rubber seal where it seats with a finger to get it restored to stock position.

4) Adjust the window so it's tighter at top, assuming that's where the problem is determined to be.

5) Adjust the door to shut a mill or two tighter overall.

6) Insert a soft rubber spacer to "push" the rubber towards the window.

Best of luck,

Let us know of your progress....

Kirts, I'm over here in Connecticut, US and having a similar issue with my brand new Model 3. I took delivery 1 month ago, and there is major wind noise from the driver window - B-pillar. Have had it serviced TWICE and still there is wind noise.

At least I think I have isolated the cause: It seems to be the alignment of the driver window/door/B-pillar. They are NOT aligned!!

The issue is the driver window is canted OUT by about 1/8 inch from the B-pillar. The driver front window, B-pillar & rear window are NOT FLUSH. Also the bottom of the driver door is canted IN by about 1/8 inch. The hood of the car is also askew -- driver front edge of hood is up by 1/8 inch, and passenger side is indented by 1/8 inch.

On the passenger side, the doors, windows and B-pillar all line up flush with one another.

Crazy, right? Anyone have this same issue?
I have the same issue on my 23 MYLR. It is only the passenger side and it sounds as if the window is open. I have calibrated both passenger front and back windows and checked the seal on the top of the windows on the outside of the car since some of the rubber seal was sticking out. Tesla stuck it back inside but I still hear the wind noise on that side. I keep checking the window seals and running my hand across it to see if there is a leak or something is ripped but nothing. I have the noise reduction kit and used it on the passenger side and that did nothing! I am taking it into service again on Sunday the 3rd time since I picked it up 6 weeks ago for other issues on top of this one..(high pitch drilling sound is annoying, hood to be realigned and the passenger seat is being replaced b/c it had a stain on it when I took delivery.)

I have the same issue on my 23 MYLR. It is only the passenger side and it sounds as if the window is open. I have calibrated both passenger front and back windows and checked the seal on the top of the windows on the outside of the car since some of the rubber seal was sticking out. Tesla stuck it back inside but I still hear the wind noise on that side. I keep checking the window seals and running my hand across it to see if there is a leak or something is ripped but nothing. I have the noise reduction kit and used it on the passenger side and that did nothing! I am taking it into service again on Sunday the 3rd time since I picked it up 6 weeks ago for other issues on top of this one..(high pitch drilling sound is annoying, hood to be realigned and the passenger seat is being replaced b/c it had a stain on it when I took delivery.)
I did a series of changes to help with the window wind noise.
It has improved. Not always 100% perfect but mostly down in sound levels.

I test with a partner blowing a hair dryer while I sit in the car to find the exact locations of the noise and to check on my progress of fixes.

Made sure the rubber gaskets were installed correctly and were fully in place by using my fist like a hammer.
Shimmed the rubber gaskets down and out where appropriate. By pulling down / out on the rubber gasket and installing rubber tubing behind / above where appropriate.
Adjusted the window so it was tighter to the rubber. You remove the door inside plastic and there's two adjusting bolts.
You might also be able to adjust the door so that it closes tighter.

George Borrelli
Crystal River, Florida

Reactions: Happy Hippo