Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wind Noise -

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes there are a few threads on this. Mine is very prevalent when I hit about 75, and over 80 it sounds like I cracked a window. It seems to be coming from the pano. There have been times that I've given a test drive to someone and showed them the pano, only for it to have fixed the noise issue somewhat. The next time it won't, so I think it probably has to do with the seal.

The last time I was in the SC I asked them about this, and they said I'd have to set up an appointment (I was there to get the front console installed). So for now I'm just living with it.

The last time I was in the SC I asked them about this, and they said I'd have to set up an appointment (I was there to get the front console installed). So for now I'm just living with it.

@InsaneDriver: Call your SC and let them know about this

Like what JMG said you should get it fixed

@JMG ....seems like this won't be an issue unless you are driving 75mph all the time..:wink:....

Anyone else experiencing high wind noise in their Model S?

I picked up my speed this weekend to pass some slow moving traffic and the wind noise was so bad I thought I accidentally rolled my windows down.
I had the same problem which turned out to be a misaligned set of window tracks on the left rear door. I isolated it by having my wife drive a constant 75-80 while I moved around the back to find the sound and the air intrusion. The service center fixed it in about an hour and it's been fine ever since. Above 80 or so, there's a fair bit of noise though.

I the demo\loaner I drove for a bit I found it to be reasonably quiet even at highway speeds but it's not silent. I think my wife and I were more used to that coming from a Volt then from an ICE who's drivetrain drowns out a fair bit of ambient noise. Naturally there is a threshold between "normal" and "excessive" but I think the silent nature of the car makes this harder to pinpoint.

Jeff

Cool deal, I definitely feel the noise is excessive so I will have it checked out next trip to the SC, if they can reduce it a little I'll be happy as I won't always be driving at triple digit speeds. But at 75 it shouldn't be as loud as it is now.

I also brought my car in to have the wind noise fixed. They said the cause was the small, front triangular windows. They readjusted both sides, but I still hear the wind noise above 70 mph. I'm still trying to isolate where the noise if coming from, but not sure how. Does anyone know some sort of a scope/sound meter that can detect better than my ears?

I also brought my car in to have the wind noise fixed. They said the cause was the small, front triangular windows. They readjusted both sides, but I still hear the wind noise above 70 mph. I'm still trying to isolate where the noise if coming from, but not sure how. Does anyone know some sort of a scope/sound meter that can detect better than my ears?
When I used to work on ICE problems I'd use a plastic tube held to the ear to explore around for where various sounds were coming from.

You would fit right in on the Sawgrass Expressway and I-75.
My last trip on Alligator Alley I noticed no noise at all at 125mph :biggrin:, but I cannot say what might happen at a higher speed. BTW, I don't notice wind noise in my car at any speed. Some tire noise is it for me.

My last trip on Alligator Alley I noticed no noise at all at 125mph :biggrin:, but I cannot say what might happen at a higher speed. BTW, I don't notice wind noise in my car at any speed. Some tire noise is it for me.

Actually, in my S85 I also notice zero wind noise. The loaner P85 I have right now is a different story though. I haven't figured out where the wind noise is coming in from to tell my Service Center when we trade cars again.

I've had wind noise on and off. SC has been pretty helpful in trying to get it resolved. Had it resolved for a while, then had to get the drivers-side mirror replaced due to accident damage and the noise returned.

During the whole process though, I had heard that there might be a gen 2 door seal coming along. Has anyone else heard about that?

I have an appointment scheduled for tomorrow, I would have waited to schedule once they have the Ludicrous Upgrade available to knock out two items with one trip but since they called me after my post I felt I should go ahead and get it fixed now since they want us to continue to be totally stoked with our Tesla. Which we already are, a little wind noise can't remove my smile when I drive it!