Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wind noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took a test drive of a model X and I found wind noise a bit excessive coming from what appeared the drivers rear view mirror area. Studying TMC.com I have seen many people fix this issue at the service center, and others that just complain that wind noise is bad. Are there any conclusions about this ? is windnoise a design issue, or is it a manufacturing issue that can be addressed at the service center ? I ask cause I want to make sure what to expect once I get my X. Thanks!

My X was just in to have the 3rd row seats replaced. While it was there they also replaced the seals on the quarter panel front door glass on both sides. I don't understand how that affects wind noise coming from the windshield but the car seems quieter. The wind noise didn't bother me and was loudest on acceleration. I never heard any whistles that some here complained of.

My X was just in to have the 3rd row seats replaced. While it was there they also replaced the seals on the quarter panel front door glass on both sides. I don't understand how that affects wind noise coming from the windshield but the car seems quieter. The wind noise didn't bother me and was loudest on acceleration. I never heard any whistles that some here complained of.

I have same issue on passenger side with sound seemingly coming from bad seal off of small window (driver side is much more solid with no noise). On a highway, sound is like a freight train so hopefully with SC visit this weeks repair fixes noise.

have same issue on passenger side with sound seemingly coming from bad seal off of small window (driver side is much more solid with no noise). On a highway, sound is like a freight train
We had the same problem, but it's strangely intermittent. One drive it sounded like the passenger window was open the noise was so loud, the very next drive we barely heard anything. Service center verified misalignment and corrected it, so we didn't hear any wind noise at all... until we opened the passenger window a few days later! Now we hear the wind noise again, although sometimes we don't hear anything. I have no idea why it's so difficult for Tesla to engineer a window that closes like every other car's window so the wind noise (or lack thereof) is at least consistent!

We had the same problem, but it's strangely intermittent. One drive it sounded like the passenger window was open the noise was so loud, the very next drive we barely heard anything. Service center verified misalignment and corrected it, so we didn't hear any wind noise at all... until we opened the passenger window a few days later! Now we hear the wind noise again, although sometimes we don't hear anything. I have no idea why it's so difficult for Tesla to engineer a window that closes like every other car's window so the wind noise (or lack thereof) is at least consistent!

Yikes, but at least you get some peaceful moments :). That triangle location is a weak link in the X sound barrier...funny, on my X the driver side triangle seal is very solid but passenger is like puddy....

There were 2 noticeable issues with the front triangle (quarter glass) windows on my car. First, the rubber gasket/joiner-piece between the main front window and the quarter glass, appears either miss-sized (short) of improperly installed. Looking from inside, there is a half-inch gap between the top portion of the rubber piece (where it thins/concave's) and the gasket above. These join perfectly on my loaner Model S. Secondly, if you push slightly on the triangle window from outside, you will notice how much it gives. The Model S quarter glass is fairly firm comparatively. This could be due to the miss-sized or improperly installed gasket/joiner piece or improperly installed window assembly in general. Either way, it was obvious that at higher speeds air pushes on the quarter glass with enough force to break the seal and allow wind noise to penetrate the cabin. Addressing these 2 issues should help.

• Informative
Reactions: DocGroove
I've had my X for a month, but only noticed the wind noise when I was on a long trip where I was getting buffeted by strong cross winds. I noticed that I was able to push the window fairly easily to break the seal. I have not taken it into the SC yet, however.

I notice the noise at speeds above 65 or, as in @swesson's case, when I have a cross-wind. A way to eliminate the noise completely is to push on the black seal at the front triangle window. When I press outward, the noise completely goes away, which indicates to me that it's definitely fixable. It may need a new seal, or may need a new triangle window placed in an appropriate position to push against the seal properly.

Took my X in for third row seat replacement and wind noise from triangular window on passenger door. I mentioned that it could be coming from the rubber seal on that window, which was partially folded over.

Have since received a call that they are waiting on parts as they are replacing the seals on triangular windows on both doors. The original seal was smooth on the surface and has been superseded by a new design that has a rough surface.

I don't have the car back yet but will post on the effectiveness of the replacement seal when I do.

I am curious how many of you have a gasket like this on your front fixed window pane? Note how the top of the drivers window tucks into a slot on the gasket where most of the window just sits on top of it. When I first got my car the passenger window was like this but the driver window was completely on top of the gasket. I pushed. poked and guided the window into the slot of the gasket and let it sit for a few days before lowering the window again. It now stays this way.
20160501_082911_resized.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: ohmman
When I first got my car the passenger window was like this but the driver window was completely on top of the gasket.
This isn't the first time you've mentioned this, but the photo explains it. Both the driver and passenger window of mine aren't tucked into the gasket. Photo I just took of the driver window side (which is quite loud) is below. I'm going to try to do the tuck and see what happens.

IMG_1972.JPG

..tuck doesn't work for me. It looks almost like the window is going to rip the seal, so I returned it to the original location. I'm not sure that's how it's supposed to end up, but I'm glad it works for you, @aesculus.
Hmm. One of those mysteries in life. Something to check on various cars when we meet up.

Perhaps it's not supposed to tuck in there but it sure works for my doors. Your gasket looks wider than mine but it might just be the picture. We can compare later (maybe in July?).

I've followed this little discussion over the last couple months - I would love to know whether you guys ever find out official word as to which config is "the right way." I don't have any wind noise issues, and my windows do not tuck in. The gasket protrudes above the windows when all the way closed, and kind of folds over when the door closes.

I have one of the first cars that came off the production line in early January. Both of my front windows have problem with the wind noise. The noise starts about 45 mph and is much worse if it is a windy day. I have reported it twice but they have yet to make it any better. The last time I took it in for service was two months ago. I am taking in for the recall and other issues later this week. I am hoping they now have more experience with the problem and can fix it.

I have the same issue, I compared the passenger side window/seal and the window fits snugly in the pocket. The driver's side sits on top of the pocket, if I prod a bit I can get the drivers side window to at least move into the pocket somewhat. After watching both windows motion, it is apparent that the drivers side window is mis-aligned in that it juts out a bit compared to the passenger so any prodding causes a bit of the pocket to jut out when the window moves to the closed position. I have an appt in two weeks, let see what the SC comes up with.