Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wind Powered Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently switched to Green Mountain Energy as my supplier with a wind powered plan. The cost was just about the same, which was surprising, and now my Tesla is entirely wind powered. (Or at least some sort of credit system is supporting it)

Crazy to think that I'm now not using any fossil fuels at all to drive around...

I recently switched to Green Mountain Energy as my supplier with a wind powered plan. The cost was just about the same, which was surprising, and now my Tesla is entirely wind powered. (Or at least some sort of credit system is supporting it)

Crazy to think that I'm now not using any fossil fuels at all to drive around...
I've subscribed to Xcel Energy's Windsource program for the past year and a half. It covers all of my energy usage (including the cars). How much extra do you pay with Green Mountain Energy? Xcel recently lowered the rate to $1.50 per 100 kWh so really it's not that more per month than "regular" electricity from coal or natural gas.

I suppose solar isn't an option for you at your house/apt?
I'm on the waiting list for a solar farm but the local one has been sold out for the past two years. I would like to put solar on my roof eventually but am waiting to hear what the solar roof will cost. Also I'm somewhat hesitant to make a large investment in solar since my neighbor's property to the south of mine is "up the hill" from my property. If they decided to plant trees, they could easily block my solar panels within a few years. The nice thing about the wind power plans is that they don't require any initial outlay or years of large payments. It costs less than $20 a month to cover all of my usage.

Last edited:
How much extra do you pay with Green Mountain Energy

I have to check the exact amount but I remember it was just a supplier rate that was about the same as the current supplier rate I had from National Grid, and nothing else. So going to wind was no real difference in my bill.

I still have National Grid as distributor. Just now Green Mountain Energy as supplier under the wind plan.

While I don't own a Tesla yet, I recently switched my electric generator to a 100% renewable as well and had a similar experience thinking wow my house electricity is now completely fossil fuel free. Now just got to get rid of that propane tank...

I suppose solar isn't an option for you at your house/apt?

solar is an option at my house but I don't feel its a wise investment for me.
1) I'm not sure how long I'll be in the house to see a payoff
2) I'm not convinced solar increases home value
3) A lease sounds like a huge risk if the next owner won't sign onto it and I don't want to limit my potential list of homebuyers
4) I'm worried net metering will get cancelled before I break even
5) There are better investments for $15k

So why go through all those risks when I can get the same benefit for the environment by switching my provider?