Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

wind reduction

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00NL4D2T8/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_4?smid=ALMOUUJX7Z10S&psc=1

I’m going to give this a shot for fun. I don’t really notice excessive wind noise and I hadn’t even thought about it until I read this thread. A quieter ride couldn’t hurt if it works. Looks like the same epdm material as most car seals as well as that rpmtesla hollow cord for sale.

Read my thread above. .25 maybe to big of a size. Some gaps were bigger also and .25 would have been too small.

Screen Spline - The Home Depot

I know this thread is titled Wind Reduction, but it seems like noise reduction is the real goal. With that in mind, is anyone trying to address road noise from the tires? To my ears the road noise seems much louder than the wind noise. I find it especially noticeable on roads with course aggregate. Has anyone tried to put more sound insulation in the wheel wells or doors? If there is another thread for this... please guide me there.

Taken from owners manual

You can fold the mirrors inward for parking in tight spaces by touching Controls > Quick Controls > Fold. The mirrors remain folded until your driving speed reaches 31 mph (50 km/h), or until you touch Fold again to unfold the mirrors.

Note: You cannot fold a mirror if your driving speed exceeds 31 mph (50 km/h).

Sorry was trying to figure it out also
Thanks I just tried before reading your post so I guess that kills my idea of having them in at 50+

Thanks I just tried before reading your post so I guess that kills my idea of having them in at 50+

So I am going to drive around and see how well this setup works and holds up. The grey backer log I will sharpie it black so it is not an eyesore at 2 feet away.

What is next for us to do regarding this experiment? Or basically what are you going to do next?

I just don’t like putting sticky stuff on my car. When it rains here in florida and the humidity, the tape will not even last a day or will be a mess to clean up.
Also I am a cellist..not an engineer. Need some guidance of what we do next.
I mean you place on, drive car immediately and see if theres any difference. If all the gaps are taped off and we still have noise then we know its not from the glass. Just trying to narrow the area its coming from. I have never put stickers on my cars and even the carpool stickers we have available here in Ca.

I mean you place on, drive car immediately and see if theres any difference. If all the gaps are taped off and we still have noise then we know its not from the glass. Just trying to narrow the area its coming from. I have never put stickers on my cars and even the carpool stickers we have available here in Ca.
I did exactly that, peeling off sections at a time for test runs, and did not notice any difference (in wind noise that seems to start at about 50mph and increases to about 60). I also included the front door edge and filled in the hinge space.

I did some testing by insulating the space between the front door and the chassis and also covering up all the openings below the hood up to and over they wiper blades and neither made any difference. There could still be areas below the trim where air gets pushed around; it does not seem like air is entering the cabin (34F, comfortable interior leaving from the garage with HVAC off).

I did exactly that, peeling off sections at a time for test runs, and did not notice any difference (in wind noise that seems to start at about 50mph and increases to about 60). I also included the front door edge and filled in the hinge space.

I read the thread you were involved with called wind noise. What materials did you use for wind noise thread that I quoted above?

I believe we are in agreement that the side mirrors are possibly one of the culprits. The mirrors when positioned out seem to be further out then most cars I have owned.

Not sure if you saw my post above. One of my gaps, the rpm product would not have worked. To thin of a product. Also not sure of the diameter of the product they sell. Some of my gaps were tighter and had difficulty getting the screen spline in the gap as to other gaps went in a little easier but has held tight after driving.

I am willing to try different things without any trolls telling me stuff. Would like to be helpful. Also bnsfengineer would like to figure out a solution also...if there is one in the end.
Remember I am not really bothered by the wind noise. I am not complaining about it. I have owned many convertibles over the years. Just helping out.

Reactions: RBowen and dhrivnak
I bought it. Tried installing last night, unsuccessfully. The tube popped open as soon as it had a bit of tension on it. Then it would not stay put when I tried to install. Emailed last night saying the tube broke. Awaiting a response.
I assume you would like a resolution also. Try the screen spline instead of the rpm product. All different sizes. Keep us posted of your results. Or any other suggestions you might have.

What materials did you use for wind noise thread that I quoted above?
I just used a heavy clear plastic tape abou 1” wide to cover gaps for testing and some compressible packing material to fill the space between the door and body when closed.

What about the gap under the hood outside the gasket feeding air up to the plastic scoops covering the hinges? Going to explore that next.

I just used a heavy clear plastic tape abou 1” wide to cover gaps for testing and some compressible packing material to fill the space between the door and body when closed.

What about the gap under the hood outside the gasket feeding air up to the plastic scoops covering the hinges? Going to explore that next.
What about the glass panel gap’s that I posted above. My concern is if I jam the spline in those channels or gutters will that break my glass pano

I know u cannot promise anything but any thoughts on that

I am going to drive here soon. I was also thinking are these gaps really for rain/water drainage off the car?
Like little gutters.

You are right. They are really big. I was told that is by design to make sure the glass has enough space to bend and move during vibrations. While I agree that you need a gap, but it looked a bit too much.

Still unclear yet whether the RPM Tesla material will be able to remain stable in place.

Can't it be glued down?

By putting materials in the gaps on the glass pano roof, am I preventing heat expansion and could the glass crack

The rubber material can get compressed, and so the glass still has some play. But your point is a valid one.