Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

wind reduction

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Drove around today. Everything held in place except the backer rod.

I was concern about pressure the screen spline might cause on the glass pano but there is still enough play left for expansion. Thank you electroman

I also taped the a pillars. Did not notice any changes of wind noise.

To me the wind noise is coming from the top of the windshield to where it meets the glass pano roof. Inside the car right above the visor.

I did take all the screen spline off when I got home. I want to put the Aeros back on and test again the difference without the added materials.

Sorry I do not have a decibel reader but I use my ears for a living.

5230C467-4CCE-40ED-A501-215D27A86E43.jpeg
Backer rod
F3D9045D-1D18-43F7-B535-E2704F13A94F.jpeg
Screen spline

Drove around today. Everything held in place except the backer rod.

I was concern about pressure the screen spline might cause on the glass pano but there is still enough play left for expansion. Thank you electroman

I also taped the a pillars. Did not notice any changes of wind noise.

To me the wind noise is coming from the top of the windshield to where it meets the glass pano roof. Inside the car right above the visor.

I did take all the screen spline off when I got home. I want to put the Aeros back on and test again the difference without the added materials.

Sorry I do not have a decibel reader but I use my ears for a living.

View attachment 297240
Backer rod
View attachment 297241
Screen spline
Buddy? I believe it's time to throw in the towel and turn the music up;)

Buddy? I believe it's time to throw in the towel and turn the music up;)

Always remember I really did not have an issue with the wind noise. I just wanted to help out. The screen spline does work in some ways I am sure. If I can help again with this let me know. I hope people get some resolution to it. Some people kept out of this thread that felt they had an issue with noise. Maybe they will find a resolution.

I work on cars sometimes in summer with a mechanic. We work outside in the florida sun with a canopy above our heads. No ac in the building, he has no internet, no computers, and book keeping/scheduling is hand written. Love solving problems and learning how to work on cars.

Like the phone key issue,I want some resolution

Robin aka n5329k said it best earlier on a post today on another thread.

I absolutely get how some people really like to get down in the weeds with a problem, puzzle it out and solve it. I spend hours doing that on my old Triumph, and some people think, "Who would want to waste their time rebuilding a carburetor?" They just want to drive. Not mess with dinosaur tech. I understand that, and I still like wrenching on old metal. When I turn the (non-virtual) key and the engine fires up, idles smoothly, with oil pressure in the green, well, it makes me feel like my considerable efforts were all worthwhile.
This phone-as-key deal is a little like that. Some people just love to dive in, figure out the problem, do a workaround, and feel great when it all operates the way it should, mostly. Others just want to drive and can't understand who would want to waste their time making a complex system of systems approximate, sometimes, what a simple fob does over and over and over again without muss or fuss.
Some of us are just tinkerers, some of us aren't.

Always remember I really did not have an issue with the wind noise. I just wanted to help out. The screen spline does work in some ways I am sure. If I can help again with this let me know. I hope people get some resolution to it. Some people kept out of this thread that felt they had an issue with noise. Maybe they will find a resolution.

I work on cars sometimes in summer with a mechanic. We work outside in the florida sun with a canopy above our heads. No ac in the building, he has no internet, no computers, and book keeping/scheduling is hand written. Love solving problems and learning how to work on cars.

Like the phone key issue,I want some resolution

Robin aka n5329k said it best earlier on a post today on another thread.

I absolutely get how some people really like to get down in the weeds with a problem, puzzle it out and solve it. I spend hours doing that on my old Triumph, and some people think, "Who would want to waste their time rebuilding a carburetor?" They just want to drive. Not mess with dinosaur tech. I understand that, and I still like wrenching on old metal. When I turn the (non-virtual) key and the engine fires up, idles smoothly, with oil pressure in the green, well, it makes me feel like my considerable efforts were all worthwhile.
This phone-as-key deal is a little like that. Some people just love to dive in, figure out the problem, do a workaround, and feel great when it all operates the way it should, mostly. Others just want to drive and can't understand who would want to waste their time making a complex system of systems approximate, sometimes, what a simple fob does over and over and over again without muss or fuss.
Some of us are just tinkerers, some of us aren't.
Are you saying you cant hear the noise above 50 mph or it just doesn't bother you? I have an S and its fairly quiet but when I get in the wife's car (3) and make a phone call that's when it bothersome to me. I believe its a design flaw of some sort and every car has the issue just some people don't even realize it or care about. Wife is fine with it and thinks I'm crazzzzzy!

Are you saying you cant hear the noise above 50 mph or it just doesn't bother you? I have an S and its fairly quiet but when I get in the wife's car (3) and make a phone call that's when it bothersome to me. I believe its a design flaw of some sort and every car has the issue just some people don't even realize it or care about. Wife is fine with it and thinks I'm crazzzzzy!
Tonight we went out to dinner and my wife said it was very quiet in cabin of the model 3.
I had her do the decibel readings also

Last edited:
So one technique is to simply get up to speed and start video recording with your phone. Move the phone slowly all the way around the edges of the windshield, roof, and side windows while you drive (or have a passenger do it). When you play back the recording (preferably through larger speakers), you will have an exact visual recording showing where the sound is loudest.

Another technique is to have someone point a fan or stereo speaker at the door of the car while you sit inside it. As they move it around, you may be able to spot noise intrusion points. On the Model S, as an example, my air gun showed the massive amount of air and noise that can come in around the extending goor handles, even when closed. The noise enters the body of the door and travels through the gaps under the little triangle window.

Of course finding an entrance point for noise is the first step...fixing it is another. The interior door panels probably pop off easy enough if anyone cares to pop one off.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: cellogig
I know this thread is titled Wind Reduction, but it seems like noise reduction is the real goal. With that in mind, is anyone trying to address road noise from the tires? To my ears the road noise seems much louder than the wind noise. I find it especially noticeable on roads with course aggregate. Has anyone tried to put more sound insulation in the wheel wells or doors? If there is another thread for this... please guide me there.

If you are a DIYer, there is a lot of good information addressing road noise in these Model S threads:

Photos of car interior taken apart for sound deadening

Sound deadening work begins next week: will report before and after data

Salvage Car Owners Support Group.

Sound dampening project & comparison of P85+ vs P85D Loaner

Sound Deadener Showdown | Your Vehicle Quiet

Sorry to keep adding to this thread but one concern
By putting materials in the gaps on the glass pano roof, am I preventing heat expansion and could the glass crack

When I get into my car on a warm day and it has been heat soaked, I can hear the roof glass “creaking” as it expands/contracts while the air conditioning cools the car down. I would be very concerned with leaving things in those gaps long term.

• Informative
When I get into my car on a warm day and it has been heat soaked, I can hear the roof glass “creaking” as it expands/contracts while the air conditioning cools the car down. I would be very concerned with leaving things in those gaps long term.
Seems like a very valid concern if you put something rigid in the gaps. But, unless I'm mistaken, every suggestion so far has been for soft/pliable materials.