Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wind & road noise with all glass roof?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello TMC Community! I'm a wide-eyed new MS60 owner still in my honeymoon phase (does it ever end?).

Picked "Mr. Shady" up at the Fremont factory right before New Year and have had a few weeks on the road now. Unfortunately, I was a victim of the Q4 curse...Mr.Shady was plagued with fit & trim issues (misaligned chrome pieces/hood/fender/bumper, broken door light...whole wiring unit was ripped according to my SC, broken driver side mirror, and a few more miscellaneous things). The bright side is my local San Francisco SC has been extremely accommodating and fixed almost every issue + threw in all weather mats :):):).

The last issue we're working on is a fairly bad wind/noise leak coming from the driver side. It's loudest in the driver seat, but you can hear it along the rear as well. The sound only comes out when speeding up past 40 and becomes especially loud after hitting 70+ MPH. SC confirmed the noise on their test drive and tried fixing 3x now with no success. I'm assuming this isn't a "normal" sound as only my driver side has the issue. If this were normal wind noise, then both sides should share the issue. SC agrees with this logic. They're thinking it might be the glass roof, but fixing that will require cutting...and I'm not okay with invasive surgery on a new car!

Has anyone with the new all glass roof experienced a similar wind/road noise at higher speeds?

Any recommendations on what to do if the only option SC suggests is cutting my entire glass roof out and this is not okay with me?

Honestly, if the noise were minor, then I'd just ignore it and enjoy my car. However, my entire family agrees it's loud and distracting, and not acceptable in a 80K+ car. Thanks in advance for the advice everyone!!

Hello TMC Community! I'm a wide-eyed new MS60 owner still in my honeymoon phase (does it ever end?).

Picked "Mr. Shady" up at the Fremont factory right before New Year and have had a few weeks on the road now. Unfortunately, I was a victim of the Q4 curse...Mr.Shady was plagued with fit & trim issues (misaligned chrome pieces/hood/fender/bumper, broken door light...whole wiring unit was ripped according to my SC, broken driver side mirror, and a few more miscellaneous things). The bright side is my local San Francisco SC has been extremely accommodating and fixed almost every issue + threw in all weather mats :):):).

The last issue we're working on is a fairly bad wind/noise leak coming from the driver side. It's loudest in the driver seat, but you can hear it along the rear as well. The sound only comes out when speeding up past 40 and becomes especially loud after hitting 70+ MPH. SC confirmed the noise on their test drive and tried fixing 3x now with no success. I'm assuming this isn't a "normal" sound as only my driver side has the issue. If this were normal wind noise, then both sides should share the issue. SC agrees with this logic. They're thinking it might be the glass roof, but fixing that will require cutting...and I'm not okay with invasive surgery on a new car!

Has anyone with the new all glass roof experienced a similar wind/road noise at higher speeds?

Any recommendations on what to do if the only option SC suggests is cutting my entire glass roof out and this is not okay with me?

Honestly, if the noise were minor, then I'd just ignore it and enjoy my car. However, my entire family agrees it's loud and distracting, and not acceptable in a 80K+ car. Thanks in advance for the advice everyone!!

I have a glass roof 60D, and I haven't noticed it. Now I'll be hyper sensitive when driving tomorrow to see if I "hear" anything at different speeds, but no...not that I've noticed. Sorry man, that stinks. Hope they can fix it.

[QUOTE="

[/QUOTE]
I also picked up my new P100d just before new year and have the same issue with my new all glass roof. I noticed that it sticks up a millimeter or two at the leading edge, rather than fitting completely flush with the edge of the windshield. I carefully put a piece of masking tape across the intersection of the glass roof and the windshield for testing purposes and the wind noise was considerably improved. I have an appointment with the service center on Monday so I will report back.

• Informative
Reactions: NOLA_Mike
I ha e the glass roof and notice it above 60 mph. It's not terrible but I mentioned it to service. Their initial comment. Was "that's normal". Hmmm, I'm not pushing it now but let's see how common a complaint it is. Driving I5 at 80-90 mph it's quite noisy.

This is starting to sound all too familiar. While I never experienced the issue, I recall there was a lot of discussion of a wind noise issue with the Lexus LS 460 back in the day. The solution took a long time resolve but took an innovative owner finding the solution rather than Lexus.

Reactions: pilotSteve
I don't have a whole lot to compare it to, but I haven't noticed any excessive wind noise. My car is pretty quiet, even at higher speeds.

Sorry to hear about your fit and finish issues. Mine has a few as well but I haven't taken it in yet.

Don't have the glass roof (Sticking with pano) but have not heard any excessive noise from the sunroof. Other than sounding the same on the interior than my wife's 85D. It's a tad bit quieter. But when the pano is open its a brand new story! And some of you that had pano but went to glass you dont miss being able to open it?

Don't have the glass roof (Sticking with pano) but have not heard any excessive noise from the sunroof. Other than sounding the same on the interior than my wife's 85D. It's a tad bit quieter. But when the pano is open its a brand new story! And some of you that had pano but went to glass you dont miss being able to open it?

I dont miss opening a sunroof - all of my previous cars had sunroofs that open, but I rarely opened them except for a few days when it was really hot, I would open the roof just for a couple of minutes to let the heat out. I figure I won't have to do that in the Tesla because I can pre condition the car from the app. Ironically, I was hoping that the all glass roof would be quieter.

Thanks for chiming in everyone. Am curious to hear results from your visits to the SC.

Is everyone only hearing a sound on the drivers side as well? Or do you have sound coming in from all edges of the glass roof?

In my case, the noise sounded like it was coming mostly from the passenger side. I would try putting masking tape across the whole front edge to test if the noise is actually coming from the front edge of the glass roof. This would also simplify the process of demonstrating the problem to the service advisor. I plan to do that tomorrow.

Reactions: Gur814
That sucks. Sorry to hear that. It makes me nervous now. I have a glass roof on order as well ....

Me too. 100 grand plus on a car, the most money I’ve ever spent, and facing the prospect of incurable wind noise, not encouraging.

Well, we’ll just have to hope that factory shut down and retool might change the manufacturing process such that the wind noise problem is addressed.

Me too. 100 grand plus on a car, the most money I’ve ever spent, and facing the prospect of incurable wind noise, not encouraging.

Well, we’ll just have to hope that factory shut down and retool might change the manufacturing process such that the wind noise problem is addressed.

Factory shutdown starts today 2-18. My 100D was confirmed 2-15 and still says "scheduled for production" I was hoping it wiould happen like this and start production AFTER the factory updates. Mainly in case anything new gets added and also the all glass roof assembly issues might be fixed

Reactions: avesraggiana
Factory shutdown starts today 2-18. My 100D was confirmed 2-15 and still says "scheduled for production" I was hoping it wiould happen like this and start production AFTER the factory updates. Mainly in case anything new gets added and also the all glass roof assembly issues might be fixed

Mine was confirmed on 17-2/2-17, just a couple of days after yours. Let’s keep our fingers crossed. No contact yet from my DS. At all.

I know it's not conducive to the nature of the forum, but have many folks chimed in saying they do not hear road noise at higher speeds with the all glass roof?

Mine went into production 2/17/17 with the all glass roof, and some of these reports are a tad concerning.

I had this problem on my 90D delivered mid-December. They eventually decided the driver's window glass was warped, and replaced it. No more wind noise. My guess is that if that happened with one vehicle it probably happened to a whole batch.

Note, though, that a certain amount of perceived wind noise is to be expected without the noise of an ICE. This was way more than that, though.