Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wind shield wipers on upon FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FSD beta for a few weeks.
Since delivery whenever I tap paddle to get cruse or FSD the wipers start.
They are incontrollable. No off option works. What I can do is select lowest frequency, but this is still annoying.
Anybody seeing this behavior, or thoughts on how to correct.
Thanks

I had the same problem. I kept fiddling with the settings. Then something I did (I do not remember) stopped the wipers and it did not happen again. But you are right. There are situations where there is no precipitation, the windshield is clean, and engaging FSD starts the wipers going.

Reactions: K5TRX
This mornings efforts by my co-driver and wife have made me think that this is a feature. The fail is when the auto wiper runs the wipers when not needed.
Today we confirmed that the wiper returns to off when FSD is exited.
So this is just how it works.
This being Fairbanks one might expect ice on the wipers and window. Fast wiper action can be a loud and unpleasant experience.
Thanks folks for the ideas.

I seem to recall that all vision-only cars require auto wipers and maybe auto high beams to use Autopilot, even without FSD, but I’m not sure.
Once you accept FSD, your RADAR is disabled and you are vision only. From now on you are required to have auto high beams and auto wipers.
  • Tesla auto high beams constantly blind oncoming traffic like you are the biggest jerk on the road.
  • And auto wipers go on when there is no rain and nothing is on the windshield.
So in addition FSD giving you Phantom Braking, you get Phantom Brights and Phantom Wipers. I don't think it is a coincidence.

Today my Model 3 wipers started with washer fluid. The wipers cycled a few times then stopped.
There wasn't a cloud in the sky with full sun. The windshield was clean without bug debris. I didn't touch the wiper button or the screen. The vehicle was waiting to make a left turn on FSD Beta.
I have never had that happen before and there was no notice on the screen.

This is an AWFUL feature. My wipers don't go off too frequently, but every time I get a detail or wash and leave the place with my car (and windshield) perfectly clean the first thing that happens is the wipers (and therefore wiper fluid) screw up my perfectly clean car. So frustrating to pull out of the detailing place and immediately have this happen every time. Stupid. I get that FSD needs to clean the windshield to see stuff, but please.

Can someone confirm if cars with Tesla Vision are still forced to have auto wipers on when Autopilot is engaged, and auto high beams engage every time autopilot is engaged?

I have a 2018 Model 3 with radar, but I had Tesla Vision on my car for a couple months earlier in the year when I had FSD Beta. But I opted out of FSD Beta because of these annoyances (and the other Tesla Vision deficiencies), and it’s also a significant hang-up for me in considering upgrading to a new 2022 model, which I’d otherwise be inclined to do.

I have a car with Radar hardware, and I've been in the FSD Beta since mid-November. Ever since early January the wipers come on and DIRTY up my windshield whenever:
  1. Using FSD
  2. I am stopped under a street light
  3. Or the sun is visibly shining above the windshield at a similar angle to being under a street light
This has happened to me leaving my house right after cleaning all windows, as well as immediately after driving out of a car wash.

Clearly some clever software was written to allow FSD to have a clear view out of the front camera. HOWEVER, a blocked front camera seems like an extremely rare case to have happen. IMHO the software should be rewritten to give you a warning that FSD cannot engage because the camera is obstructed. This message could persist until it it not obstructed. That could mean the driver manually activating the wipers, OR the car actually moving 10 feet and it realizing it was just glare from a light/the sun.