Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wind vector on the map….I wish

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
170D2C25-71FF-48F1-B14B-F19F4CF3195D.jpeg

I wish Tesla would include a wind vector on the map next to the compass.

It could even be coded green for tailwinds and red for headwinds.

Or just an option to select between the compass or wind vector in the car settings.

I find myself checking the wind complication on my Apple Watch and comparing with the compass in my car just to help with my range estimations on long drives.

The car already has the technology to display such a thing.

And risk paying for met data? AFAIK the car doesn't have any way of measuring wind speed related to road speed directly, which wouldn't help on the route ahead anyway. Next you’ll suggest they instal things like camera lens cleaners and condensation heaters or rain sensors or outrageous things like working adaptive headlights or 360 camera views or reliable voice recognition.....

The car has internet. It could connect to a million different free providers for wind information. The data download would be minuscule.
Winds change - are you planning on each car re-polling every few minutes x how many Teslas which may well overcome simpler websites plus the issue of sites changing their formats from time to time or are you expecting Tesla to collect global data centrally and push it to each car? Either way, it requires additional cost and personnel to create the sub-routines and monitor them and adds to EM's costs without any 'sexy' publicity stunt.

Reactions: init6
I find myself checking the wind complication on my Apple Watch and comparing with the compass in my car just to help with my range estimations on long drives.
Tesla claim they now take account of wind. 2022.16.3 release notes:

"Navigation Energy Prediction

Energy prediction for your route has been improved by incorporating forecasted crosswind, headwind, humidity and ambient temperature when using online navigation."

But why? I’ve never once thought I wonder if it’s a head or tail wind today…
It does make a big difference on range. Having driven almost the length of the M6 in a headwind last winter, even capping speed to 65mph my range on an LR was down from it's winter usual by about 30% so charging stops every 120 miles or so instead of 180ish. Headwinds can have a dramatic effect on motorway range.

Reactions: Pagemakers
It cannot be a single arrow because the wind isn't constant over the map you're looking at:
1657117070791.png

In this example, in the top left the wind comes from the north whereas on the right it's more from the east, and with more force. The blue part closer to city center has virtually no wind.

You would need to display a "Windy" layer, which is more complicated and needs both more data and more display power.

The most recent software update will use the wind information when calculating a trip which should be sufficient. Open up Windy.com in your web browser to see the wind.