Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Window and door handle icing prevention

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is a tip to prevent your windows from sticking/icing to the weather stripping and not allowing the window to come down when trying to open the door. If it is frozen to the weather stripping an forced open it’s a good way to cause damage to the window mechanism or weather stripping.
All your weather stripping should be conditioned before the winter arrives on all cars in cold climate areas. Purchase a silicone lubricant, not in a spray can but in a gel form. It is used by plumbers on o-rings in fawcetts. You can buy it at Home Depot (Moen Silicone Luvricant Model # M6144|SKU # 1000515837) the container isn’t very large but trust me a small dab goes a long way. There are many brands, Lowes has this type that I have used over the years. (Article #6784286 Item #000803884 Model #1036C)
Put the lubricant on all your weather sripping and massage it in with your finger. It’s virtually has no odour and won’t harm any part of the car or your hands. Make sure you apply some where the windows press against the weather stripping to form a seal. Applying It actually conditions the weather stripping, keeping it soft and pliable. Apply it a couple times during the winter or as needed.
As for the handles keep a can of solicone spray in the frunk or trunk incase the precipitation turns to ice. Make sure you keep the red spray straw that comes with the can, makes it easier to,direct the silicone into the handles. I like to warm the can up with body heat to help the de icing. The silicone spray will not harm the components or the paint. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Here is a tip to prevent your windows from sticking/icing to the weather stripping and not allowing the window to come down when trying to open the door. If it is frozen to the weather stripping an forced open it’s a good way to cause damage to the window mechanism or weather stripping.
All your weather stripping should be conditioned before the winter arrives on all cars in cold climate areas. Purchase a silicone lubricant, not in a spray can but in a gel form. It is used by plumbers on o-rings in fawcetts. You can buy it at Home Depot (Moen Silicone Luvricant Model # M6144|SKU # 1000515837) the container isn’t very large but trust me a small dab goes a long way. There are many brands, Lowes has this type that I have used over the years. (Article #6784286 Item #000803884 Model #1036C)
Put the lubricant on all your weather sripping and massage it in with your finger. It’s virtually has no odour and won’t harm any part of the car or your hands. Make sure you apply some where the windows press against the weather stripping to form a seal. Applying It actually conditions the weather stripping, keeping it soft and pliable. Apply it a couple times during the winter or as needed.
As for the handles keep a can of solicone spray in the frunk or trunk incase the precipitation turns to ice. Make sure you keep the red spray straw that comes with the can, makes it easier to,direct the silicone into the handles. I like to warm the can up with body heat to help the de icing. The silicone spray will not harm the components or the paint. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info I’ll take a ride to The Depot tomorrow

May i ask why you dont suggest using the silicone lubricant in can as suppose to use the gel form? What are the differences? Is one better than the other?

Thanks in advance!