Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Window blew itself off track on the highway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ngng

Jul 23, 2018
Bay Area
Was doing 75mph on a pretty windy highway last night. Rolled the window down to get some fresh air. Oh boy. I don't know if it was a combination of the crosswind or whatever, but the second I cracked the window the wind caught the glass and pulled it off the track. It started vibrating violently for the next 30s or so until I could pull of and reseat it. The car is going in for service to fix a loose spoiler, among other things, and they are taking a look at this too. Has anybody experienced this before? I've literally never had this happen, in any car, I've ever owned, my entire life lol

You should have this looked at. It could be something in the window mechanism is broken. We have repaired many cars that had broken plastic rails, guides, and bottom window tract from all sorts of brands. They get brittle over time. How old is this car and is it garaged?

You should have this looked at. It could be something in the window mechanism is broken. We have repaired many cars that had broken plastic rails, guides, and bottom window tract from all sorts of brands. They get brittle over time. How old is this car and is it garaged?

I'll pull off the door panel when I have some free time. The car is a 16 and appears to have been garaged. The exterior trim, paint, and plastic appears to be in good condition. I'm curious what failed. Regulators fail, but having a window almost blow off on the highway....never had that happen. And I've had some shitboxes in my time lol

I'll pull off the door panel when I have some free time. The car is a 16 and appears to have been garaged. The exterior trim, paint, and plastic appears to be in good condition. I'm curious what failed. Regulators fail, but having a window almost blow off on the highway....never had that happen. And I've had some shitboxes in my time lol
Usually, it is the temperature that causes the plastic bits to get brittle and eventually fail to contain a window or guide it up and down incrorrectly. Although I imagine having the window get stuck due to ice and trying to move it could also create issues.

Usually, it is the temperature that causes the plastic bits to get brittle and eventually fail to contain a window or guide it up and down incrorrectly. Although I imagine having the window get stuck due to ice and trying to move it could also create issues.

I suspect this is another case of Tesla teething with the early X. My 2011 F350 lived the first 100k of its life in TX and has been through some extreme highs and lows. No issues with the windows (though, I have issues with other things 🤣).

I suspect this is another case of Tesla teething with the early X. My 2011 F350 lived the first 100k of its life in TX and has been through some extreme highs and lows. No issues with the windows (though, I have issues with other things 🤣).
Does your F150 have a window frame on the door? Frameless windows have a lot more issues with glass jumping out of the track since they have no frame with guides on the front and back of the window.

They're cheaper to produce and we've been sold a bill of goods about it being better aesthetically - see also, android-tablet instrument panels

frameless windows are to vehicle design as grinder is to welding

screen-for-instruments is to good HMI as paint is to rust repair

thank you for coming to my ted talk

I wonder if some event like that might be what caused my Model X 2017's passenger window to fail.

About a year ago (early pandemic), the window started rolling up really slowly, and a couple of months ago, it actually failed to make it to the top without rolling back down again unless I used my hand to help pull the window up. (I learned today that the misbehavior in question occurs only when the door is closed.)

Mobile Service replaced the entire window mechanism a couple of hours ago, and it works fine again, but it really made me wonder what the heck could cause something like that.

I had a similar experience last year with strong crosswinds. I normally never open my windows, but the crosswinds were causing strange wind noise and I tried to resolve it by opening and closing. My windows didn't come off of the tracks, but they'd flop around far more than what I'd consider reasonable, and they would close outside of the trim. I had to pull over to get them to close inside of the trim (because you can only push out from inside the vehicle). I asked a mobile service tech about the floppiness the next time I had them visit, and he talked like that the amount of floppiness I had was normal with frameless windows in general.

Reactions: aesculus
I had a similar experience last year with strong crosswinds. I normally never open my windows, but the crosswinds were causing strange wind noise and I tried to resolve it by opening and closing. My windows didn't come off of the tracks, but they'd flop around far more than what I'd consider reasonable, and they would close outside of the trim. I had to pull over to get them to close inside of the trim (because you can only push out from inside the vehicle). I asked a mobile service tech about the floppiness the next time I had them visit, and he talked like that the amount of floppiness I had was normal with frameless windows in general.
Same exact experience way back in 2016. About 40 mph cross winds while also going 70 mph. Had to pull over and pull up the window. SC later recalibrated the window and it has not had an issue since, but I also have not tried to lower the window in strong cross winds again. :)