Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Window Calibration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I replaced the paddle gear assembly on my 2017 Model S drivers door handle this past weekend. Once I got way into it, I realized that the generation three is different than the generation one and two. I was able to succeed and get it replaced, but it did take me a majority of the day. The problem that I have now, is that the window is not dropping down as much when I open the door as it did before I started. Also now on the dash it is showing that the windows halfway open even though it is closed. I’ve seen some articles about calibrating the windows but again I wonder if it is different based on the year. I have a 2017. I tried some of the stuff I found online, it was unsuccessful. I’m also now getting notifications on my app that my driver’s door window is open which obviously it is not. Can anyone give me some suggestions on how to fix this problem on a 2017? Thanks in advance.

Have you tried the reboot via screen menu Service > Wheel configuration? It allows you to change your preset tire size and doing so it makes deeper restart then with the buttons on the wheel. It’s almost three minutes waiting time so be patient. Remember to set the correct wheel back when done. You might need to perform the calibration again if this restart does not align the windows back.

I stopped by Tesla yesterday and had them do it. For anyone that needs it, here is what they did. I have a 2017 Model S.

Open Door, Lower Window. Roll up Window, but keep your hand there to stop it from going up (around halfway). it should go back down. He did that 5 times. Then he got in the car, rolled the window up, and held the button in the up position for 10 seconds. Then lowered the window and held in down position for 10 seconds, and then finally back up for 10 more seconds. now, the window drops down when the door is open as it used to and the graphical display on the dash is showing as correct.

Thanks.

How to reset the window position.​

The fix is really easy, takes only a few minutes and requires no tools.

• Ensure the window is free from obstruction such as ice build ups near where the glass and rubber seals meet.
  • The door needs to be closed
  • Press the window up button and hold for 5 seconds.
  • Press the window down button and hold for 5 seconds.
  • Press the window up button and hold for 5 seconds.

Reactions: lightningltd
Better to say close the window and keep holding the button for 5 seconds after close, etc. The important point being the window needs to be at its limit of travel and active for 5 seconds after closing or after opening.

Last edited:
Reactions: shthpnz
My front windows keep reversing from torque limits. Goes up about 1/3rd then back down. If it gets past that it goes to 2/3rds then reverses back down to 1/3rd. Only way to close is to grab the glass and pull up when the motor is moving the glass. Then pull my fingers out of the way the moment before fully closed.

Service Center has "fixed" this a couple of times during warranty. Will try the calibrate procedure.

My front windows keep reversing from torque limits. Goes up about 1/3rd then back down. If it gets past that it goes to 2/3rds then reverses back down to 1/3rd. Only way to close is to grab the glass and pull up when the motor is moving the glass. Then pull my fingers out of the way the moment before fully closed.

Service Center has "fixed" this a couple of times during warranty. Will try the calibrate procedure.
My service center fixed this on the second try. The right rear door handle was fixed (also twice...). The second time which knock on wood seems to have fixed it, they replaced the whole window regulator as well.

Reactions: N4HHE
My service center fixed this on the second try. The right rear door handle was fixed (also twice...). The second time which knock on wood seems to have fixed it, they replaced the whole window regulator as well.
They did mine under warranty 5 years or more ago. Said door handle frame was broken or something causing the window not to lift. Asked, “So why didnt you replace the right side too?” Answer: wasn’t broken. To which I replied, “yet.”

Years later they fixed again by adjusting the torque limits.

Now both sides don’t reliably lift, yet again, out of warranty.