Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Window chip gone bad

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got hit by a small rock the other day on the front passenger window. What started out as a small chip and a crack quickly expanded into a crack that went from one end to the other in less than 24hrs! Needless to say I set up a service appointment on the app right away and now have to wait at least 10days for the glass to come in and get switched out. I’m thankful it wasn’t a windshield issue (for now) but would’ve thought the double owned glass in the 2022 MY would’ve been more durable…now it’s just a garage Queen until it gets fixed…TBC

Same thing happened to me just two months ago. Kicked up pebble caused a chip. Ten minutes later, my wife and I noticed a crack starting to form. By the time we pulled off the freeway, a total of 20 minutes after the pebble had hit, the crack was 18" long. Rather than have my windshield cave in on me, I had the car towed. I've had at least a half dozen rock chips over the years, but this is the first time something like this has happened.

Rather than have my windshield cave in on me, I had the car towed. I've had at least a half dozen rock chips over the years, but this is the first time something like this has happened.
I'm wondering if you are aware that a windshield isn't going to cave in on you under practical any circumstances unless a huge object strong impact occurs. It's because of the way they are designed with polyvinyl butyral double layer lamination. While I agree it is important to have a windshield repaired soon and not drive with a cracked windshield, in most cases, it isn't that important to immediately tow the car. It would have to be a really serious crack for that.

Also, I am curious if you are driving too close to cars in front at freeway speeds since this is why small rocks hit the windshield in the first place and you seem to have had a lot of them. I am trying to be help here so don't take it as being critical :)

Someone else also told me that I could have kept driving, so if that ever happens again I will probably not tow. What got me scared were those posts and news articles where Tesla glass roofs shattered for no apparent reason and turned the car into instant convertibles. I figured a glass roof falling on me isn't so bad, but a glass window in my face while driving 80 mph maybe not so great.

I have been driving for over 40 years, so that's less than once in five years (for me and my family included). These things will happen to people like me live in an area not too far from a rock quarry. Trucks are carrying rocks and the roads often have pebbles. I have learned to never trail a truck and wasn't this time, but I think came from a truck that was two lanes over. At highway speeds, those pebbles fly like bullets.

Last edited:
Saw this at a SC recently. Didn’t ask anyone how it happened, but good to see that windshields will hold up. May not be driveable, but it will hold together :)

Attachments

• EED5AC4F-DBCF-44F3-AF7E-52B1A33852DD.jpeg
    EED5AC4F-DBCF-44F3-AF7E-52B1A33852DD.jpeg
    908.8 KB · Views: 165
Reactions: BitJam
131F1870-D8F6-4D71-BEBC-760505E8C374.jpeg
3DAE617A-F16B-4163-A82F-3E07779C0BDA.jpeg

After 2 weeks finally got to get my window fixed at the Tesla Chicago location on Elston. I got the message above the night before and was afraid I was going to be left stranded a bit if this was the case. Pulled up to the location and saw some ppl going into the center so, luckily it wasn’t necessarily contact less - but was able to wait in the waiting room (even if the estimated time was well over 4hrs). Pleasant experience overall and was pleased with the experience. Helpful staff, and job was done well under estimated time given. Also provided Uber credits as well, but I didn’t need them.

Attachments

• 2AAB0825-496E-436E-8DB7-52104A400A48.jpeg
    2AAB0825-496E-436E-8DB7-52104A400A48.jpeg
    619.4 KB · Views: 102