Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Window control key cap

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ViperDoc

Roadster 1305
Jun 24, 2011
Vermont
One of the caps on the control to open/close the driver's front window popped off yesterday. I cannot get it to snap on and stay snapped on. It doesn't look broken, and when I push it in, it ends up flush with the neighboring window control switch cap. I can press it down to lower window, but as soon as I lift it up slightly to raise window, it just comes right back off. Is there some trick or tool I need to get it to snap back on properly? I have set up a mobile repair with Tesla in 10 days, but (a) it is a pain to have to put the car in park and use the app to close the window, and (b) since I am out of warranty now, I am sure I will pay dearly for them to fix it, so if there is something I am missing...

Thanks!

We've had the same thing happen to our M3 - I guess I'm too ham-handed with the controls. If it's the same as ours, I think a small piece is broken. There is a slot in the white plastic portion on the inside o the key cap that slides over the pin connected to the actual window switch. The bottom of that slot should have a little "foot" that latches on to the pin and allows you to pull up from the underside to close the window. You might be able to see it if you are willing to snap off one of the other key caps to see.

We've had that break off twice now. Last time, mobile service did replace it for free because he had an extra assembly, but normally he said they don't stock just the key caps and they would have to replace the entire window switch assembly. Anyone have a good source for just the key cap? Seems like a waste to replace the whole thing when all you need is one piece.