Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Window Damaged the Chrome :o(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a ranger do this by accident, he was playing with my window with the controls with the doorcard off etc as I was complaining that I had a squeaky window, then he didn't lower it enough, closed the door and it scratched the trim in a few places, similar to this. Though its kinda odd how that could happen outside those circumstances. Obviously as it was the rangers fault Tesla replaced it, but it is a long piece of trim and is a two person job really. As whether Tesla will replace under warranty, I doubt it somehow.

the rear doors do have an emergency release cable in the door construction, and it works, it's just not accessible without removing door card. the wire end isn't connected to anything for a "puller", it just has sticky foam wrapped over the end.

which is a bit pointless as you need the door open to remove the card !

the rear doors do have an emergency release cable in the door construction, and it works, it's just not accessible without removing door card. the wire end isn't connected to anything for a "puller", it just has sticky foam wrapped over the end.

which is a bit pointless as you need the door open to remove the card !

I thought they were there for a crash type emergency. Some emergency that would have to be if you have to rip the door cards off first. Can't see James Bond doing that with just one breath! :p

• Funny
Reactions: Roy W.
you can't rip the door cards off though - there are 2x T30 torx bolts, so it would be a serious arms pull effort to bend them sufficiently to tear them out of their mountings.

tip: always carry Hulk in the back if you are going underwater in your model 3.

• Funny
I have had the exact same issue.
Someone managed to close the door with the glass all the way up.
The glass ended up on the outside against the trim. I don't know how she did it and neither does she. She was a first tim passenger.
I immediately opened the door again. As soon as I touched the handle the glass slid down and made identical marks to those

I have had the exact same issue.
Someone managed to close the door with the glass all the way up.
The glass ended up on the outside against the trim. I don't know how she did it and neither does she. She was a first tim passenger.
I immediately opened the door again. As soon as I touched the handle the glass slid down and made identical marks to those
That’s bad. You’d think the “logic” of the system that links the door latches and windows should prevent this. I’ll live with the damage if they want to charge me for a repair.

That’s bad. You’d think the “logic” of the system that links the door latches and windows should prevent this. I’ll live with the damage if they want to charge me for a repair.
I have not asked for a repair free or otherwise its too much trouble to go to the service centre. I was going to raise it when I had to go for another reason and so far I haven't had to.

I guess if this ever happens to someone - i.e. the door is closed with the glass on top of the trim - the thing to do would be to pry the glass and try and get some thin cardboard or something between it and the chrome trim, so that when you/passenger pulls on the handle and it drops it doesn't score it.

Of course knowing that it's happened in the first place when people are likely all inside the car (and having cardboard or whatever with you) is remote, but still.

The things we have to do to fill in the blanks for Tesla. Will have to add "flat cereal box cardboard" to my emergency kit in the car.

This used to happen with my old BMW E46 M3 convertible in the winter.
The door would open without the glass dropping due to frost. To close it I used to lean the top of the glass inwards so that it went into the roof slot and gently push the door shut.
Not sure if the same will be possible with the Model 3.

Moderator comment - merged (and 7 other posts) from Scratched Chrome Door Trim

Hi all

noticed a scratch, quite a bad one, just above right rear passenger window.

Anyone any ideas how I can rectify this, without costly replacement?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: