Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Window damaged trim because of cold weather, Tesla won't replace under warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What preparation is necessary? I've applied Gummi Pflege and 3in1 RV track lubricant to the inner and outer seals, what else can I do if it is so cold that preheating can't warm the inner parts of the door/window mechanisms and they remain frozen?

every frameless window car i've ever owned didn't have to roll down the windows to open the door. it was a design "feature" Tesla decided on to reduce wind drag. most frameless windows "leak" after a while. my assumption is Tesla chose this design to prevent that.

maybe every car with frameless windows that you have had, but not everyone that there is available to be had. It's not a Tesla only issue many vehicles have Windows that need to roll down about a half inch or so to clear the trim when the door is opened it's pretty common practice nowadays. Quick internet search and you'll see.

What preparation is necessary?
This...
What's the SAFEST way to remove ice and snow from the car?
I have had to be prepared for more than 10 years on my previous/still available other cars. I have also had frozen doors several times during extreme weather conditions. Not to mention locked out.... If the weather change rapidly then this treatment needs to be repeated. If you have calm winter then just watch out for melting periods. Best treatment is silicone oil, that can spread out easily.

Just as a point of interest, Tesla just replaced my bent trim due to a frozen window failed retraction via warranty. I had a back an forth with someone at corporate when I scheduled a service to check out my shifting drivers seat and replace the bent trim. At that time they said it would not be covered and I decided to just have the service tech take pictures of my drivers seat for engineering to approve a seat swap. When my appointment approached I was asked to log in and accept the service invoice. To my surprise the trim replacement was listed with a $0 cost. I immediately signed the service invoice so they couldn't go back on the warranty replacement.

So if others have been told it won't be covered, ask for a mobile service visit and wait for them to come back with the repair invoice. You may just have a surprise waiting for you.

I had this problem last winter and to fix it I use WD40 Silicone Lubricant on all the door and window seals like eddy0090.

I didn't have any issues all winter after applying it to all the seals

Been doing this for years on cars and trucks. If you don't like the aroma Eau de WD-40, there are a number of odorless silicone sprays for stopping squeaks which will work.
BUT BUT BUT BUT BUT!!!
Test what you are using on a painted area that won't show first !
Yuh never know...