Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Window damaged trim because of cold weather, Tesla won't replace under warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's weird to see people defend this like it's nothing to complain about. Like being forced to warm up my car for 45 minutes is perfectly acceptable. I mean there's no chance I'll have to leave my house without 45 minute's notice, right?

This is a very odd forum, there is an angry allegiance/loyalty to a company that in the end doesn't give two turds about anyone.
Very cult like. Watch me now be called a short seller or big oil shill.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Sherlo
This is a very odd forum, there is an angry allegiance/loyalty to a company that in the end doesn't give two turds about anyone.

It's nothing compared the actual Tesla forums. I'd say it's a minority here, but it is a vocal one. It's also an auto forum so I also leave out discussions about politics and the environment.

every frameless window car i've ever owned didn't have to roll down the windows to open the door. it was a design "feature" Tesla decided on to reduce wind drag. most frameless windows "leak" after a while. my assumption is Tesla chose this design to prevent that.

My mini cooper s has the exact same, window needs to go down a little before opening or closing the door...

My mini cooper s has the exact same, window needs to go down a little before opening or closing the door...
yeah i get it. there are other cars that have it. none of the frameless subarus did this. the ford probe didn't do this. the toyota supra didn't do this. my point was not every car that had frameless windows had this functionality.

i guess my next question is, did these other vehicles that had drop-windows have the same issues with snow and ice?

Pretty tame here. Go to the Tesla.com forums and there the Tesla mafia will run you out for saying anything slightly critical. Now they’re funny.

This is the issue with all cars without the window frame. If at-home try pouring some water, preferably warm, over the top of the frame until the ice or the frozen part thaws. If no water is available, always warm up the car 10 minutes before you get in and try to scratch the ice remains on top of the window before opening the door.

Well crumb. This happened to me this morning No snow/frost. 59 degrees F. Scheduled Mobile service to replace the chrome with 15+ scratches. Fingers crossed they cover the damage since the stupid window didn’t operate as intended. I should have listened when my 6 yr old said the window was on top of the door. Thought he was mistaken.

Find a solution yourself instead of automatically try to blame others. Remember you're not the first or only person who has a car like this. And especially your car can be programmed to turn on the heat before you need to drive away.

Try to make the seal clean all the time. It should help this and other problems like wind noise. Not to mention help the seal to last longer.

I use this which seem to work pretty well to me.
https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-Mir...+seal+cleaner+protector&qid=1573834442&sr=8-4

Yeah they all do that but not for the reason many think. You need the small gap when you close the door or the back pressure could shatter the glass.

Last edited:
This is my first winter with my Tesla, its less than a year old. Yesterday it was very cold out and the window did not go down when the door opened..or shut? Either way, the trim got damaged. I looked it up and its a very common issue I have seen and Tesla has replaced it. I scheduled an appointment this morning via the mobile app and I got a response back saying it will not be covered and I will have to pay? This is absolutely a design flaw and the car not working as it should. Anyone have any experience with this?

There have been other examples of Telsa sending a pre-invoice and/or telling owners they will have to pay, but then actually performing the service for free.
Not sure that is the case here, but it is possible that the mobile service or SC will fix the issue caused in these examples without actually charging you.

If you do have the car serviced, please report back and let us know.

Tesla has certainly been known to go above and beyond for owners, they have also dropped the ball.

In this specific instance many people have tried to point out that Tesla's window design isn't proprietary, and that not unlike frozen windshield wipers, the damage caused by inattention to the way the window operates is not a warranty item.

Disagreeing with you does not mean people are being irrational.

Reactions: Runt8 and SMAlset
There have been other examples of Telsa sending a pre-invoice and/or telling owners they will have to pay, but then actually performing the service for free.
Not sure that is the case here, but it is possible that the mobile service or SC will fix the issue caused in these examples without actually charging you.

If you do have the car serviced, please report back and let us know.

I canceled this morning. No way in hell am I going to be pay that. I am using the door as intended, nothing else nothing more. I am going to try an make an Appt with the regular service center to see if there is different outcome. At the end of the day the damage isnt unbearable that I will just live with it, maybe even "black out" next year after winter. At the end of the day though, I am not happy with Tesla. This is a very simple issue and atleast for first timers should be offered free for goodwill. Now I have to explain to anyone who ever uses my car to make sure the door isnt frozen and the window goes down...I know its going to happen again. Here is a couple photos of the 3-4inch mark and the invoice Tesla sent me last night.

trim quoate.png IMG_20191114_160649.jpg IMG_20191114_160641.jpg IMG_20191113_072132.jpg

To me this should be covered. I’d try them again, maybe try to get another tech or service member to help. I had stress cracks in my rear glass panel and they first tried to suggest replacement wasn’t covered because I tinted windows and/or may have been caused by rock (even though cracks were actually below rear hood line). I persisted and once they (finally) had inventory replaced under warranty. But each time I went to the service center (few false starts since they would get mixed up about which panel needs replacing) depending on the tech they would suggest it wasn’t covered until I pointed out somebody already approved.

How is a frozen window a design flaw? It happens across the board with cars at various times depending on wind conditions, dew point, rain/snow and various degrees of temperature (and including having had the car washed prior). As for frameless windows that operate just like Teslas, there are lots of threads over the years on various car forums with models with frameless windows as people have stated. You'll find posts from owners about their windows freezing in an up position the same as described in this thread. However I'm only seeing owners who have damaged their trim and who expect the manufacturer to cover the damage the owners caused to their trim from the windows on Tesla forums.

Reactions: JohnSnowNW
In this specific instance many people have tried to point out that Tesla's window design isn't proprietary
That's just not a valid excuse to me. Tesla shouldn't strive to be the same as other cars. I think it's a fixable problem, even if it's not in my car but in newer ones they manufacture. Maybe they're working on it. But a handful of people here seem to think they shouldn't bother.

Most people here know to use some rubber protectant and watch to see how their window position is during this season. Guess we don't see this as a problem that needs to be fixed. We have plenty of Tesla owners in northern lands that live with harsh winter conditions and I don't see them having issues. I suspect there are just new owners to frameless windows that are finding out for the first time what they need to do about pre-conditioning their cars.