Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Window doesn't close on exit.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SabrToothSqrl

Dec 5, 2014
PA
So, about the 10,000th thing to not work right on my car.

I'm trading it in or selling it a week before the warranty runs out. that's not up for discussion. (100,000 bumper to bumper / 6 year coverage) Ends Feb 2019.

The Window, does it's small open/close thing, but it missed the latter 1/2 of that process.

How hard is it to do normal car things?! Everything that's gone to crap on my car is normal car stuff. Rearview mirror tint, windows. door handles, HVAC. all things any other car, work just fine for 15 years.
12494025_10207030129324534_447122024_o.jpg

Still love the car, still thinking about an X, but c'mon. the SC is 80 miles one way for me, and my patience is growing thin. $90k opens up a lot of vehicle options.

I'm trading it in or selling it a week before the warranty runs out. that's not up for discussion. (100,000 bumper to bumper / 6 year coverage) Ends Feb 2019.

The Window, does it's small open/close thing, but it missed the latter 1/2 of that process.

How hard is it to do normal car things?! Everything that's gone to crap on my car is normal car stuff. Rearview mirror tint, windows. door handles, HVAC. all things any other car, work just fine for 15 years.View attachment 106989

Still love the car, still thinking about an X, but c'mon. the SC is 80 miles one way for me, and my patience is growing thin. $90k opens up a lot of vehicle options.

Doesn't look like your door aligns correctly either (similar on the passenger side of my S) I have asked my SC to adjust mine a few times and I may just get the spanners out myself as they haven't quite gotten it right.

For the issue have you tried rebooting? sounds crazy but may be worth a try. Also pull the fuses for the doors and windows, wait a min and reinsert.

Last edited:
Does the window roll up if you get in the car with the keyfob and roll the window up manually? Then try again.

Never happened to me, but that's what I'd try first.

SC emailed me and gave me something to try. I'll reboot the car first, then try it also:

"You can try to recalibrate the window to see if it corrects your issue in the meantime. You do this by rolling the window down and holding the switch in the down position for at least 10 seconds. Then rolling up the window and continue to hold the switch in the up position for at least 10 seconds."

• Helpful
Reactions: AndreN

How hard is it to do normal car things?! Everything that's gone to crap on my car is normal car stuff. Rearview mirror tint, windows. door handles, HVAC. all things any other car, work just fine for 15 years.

I had this happen to me in the rain. I'd open the door and it'd go down 1/2". Then close the door and it'd stay where it was. Then when I opened the door again it would go down another 1/2". I moved under an awning and continued testing without luck. I called my SC about it and they had me do the following: turn off the car manually using the Power Off button in controls. Exit the vehicle and close the door. Take the key out of range of the vehicle for at least 30 seconds (they stressed the importance of this part for some reason). Then return to the car and put the window all the way down before trying to put it back up. It worked for me, and never recurred. That was about 2 years ago, so the process may have changed. You could always call your SC and see what they say.

SC emailed me and gave me something to try. I'll reboot the car first, then try it also:

"You can try to recalibrate the window to see if it corrects your issue in the meantime. You do this by rolling the window down and holding the switch in the down position for at least 10 seconds. Then rolling up the window and continue to hold the switch in the up position for at least 10 seconds."

Doing what SabrToothSqrl says, fixed my windows from rolling down but not going back up when you opened the door. Happened one time and has not reoccured since recalibrating them.

My old G35 coupe had frameless windows like the Model S, and when I replaced the window regulator it required recalibration to tell the window where the top should be. Otherwise it would stay rolled down to around where your picture has it.

The procedure to reset/recalibrate it was very similar to the instructions your service center provided. Hopefully that fixes it :smile:

I just did the up/down calibration thing to see if it works. I'm OCD so will probably do it on all windows too [emoji1]. Not sure if it matters but I'm doing this on the door controller of the specific window and not from the main driver panel.