Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Window/door open notifications - annoyingly persistent - no setting to stop them

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With a recent update, there was a new feature added that sends notifications for windows/doors left open. That could occasionally be useful. The grand majority of the time, it's not useful - because my car is parked at home in the garage, where I leave the windows down. Or I'm at work, and the windows are set to "vent".

Yet it's incredibly persistent... sometimes once every 10 minutes, it pings my phone. Usually less often, but still, seemingly randomly, my phone dings that a window isn't fully closed (no sh^t Sherlock, I just vented the windows from the app). Virtually the least useful notification my phone could ding for.

There is no setting in the Settings page of the app to control these notifications. There's also no notification category in Android to categorize and mute these notifications, either. I've waited a few updates to see if this improves, but it doesn't.

I've also searched around and can't seem to find any similar threads of annoyances, so I don't know what the heck is going on. There's no way this notification has gone unnoticed... it just started happening without warning, the changelog said "we'll now do this, so we hope you like it" (that is: no way to change it?), and ... I dunno, that's it?

From the release notes:

Car Left Open Notifications
A mobile notification will be sent if the trunk, the front trunk, or any door is left open for over ten minutes. If all doors and trunks are locked, a notification will be sent if any window is detected to be open ten minutes after leaving the car.

To adjust which notifications get sent, tap Controls > Locks > Car Left Open Notifications. Notifications will not be sent when the car is at Home if "Exclude Home" is selected.

To adjust which notifications get sent, tap Controls > Locks > Car Left Open Notifications. Notifications will not be sent when the car is at Home if "Exclude Home" is selected.
That's the dumbest place to put it - to put the settings for notifications in the car, when the notifications affect the phone! Those settings belong in the app settings...

Oh well, good to know. Thanks!

I would like this notification and have turned the feature on in my car but I still do not get it. It does show up on the app but I would like a text or notification to pop up on my phone. Do you have to have sentry on in order for this to work properly?
Not at all. It pops up all the time, even when you don't want it or wish it would just shut up. Lord help you if you use "vent" to leave your windows cracked while at work! Sentry isn't required or related.

If you're on Android, get app info on the Tesla app and check its notifications settings. I don't think there's any related settings for this in the Tesla app itself (all the notifications apply to other features/functions), but in the car, you said it's already set up, so the only remaining thing I can think of is that Tesla app notifications are disabled at system-level.