Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Window exploded while parked for Level 2 charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car was parked in my office lot with security and was charging. This happened on May 23 at 12pm. The rear window(begind driver) exploded and there was nothing on any sentry recordings in my car or the neighboring cars(its a full lot with tesla around charging). There were no signs of any other damage. I was called by security who heard a noise but cant release any footage due to privacy policy.

Tesla service center at Dedham wont take this as a complaint or investigate. They just denied any issues with Tesla and asked me to pay $300 for it. Wont even check other windows to check for any defects.

How to escalate this? I have a baby and dont feel safe putting her inside the car anymore.

Attachments

• 652EC471-B36D-42AD-9D58-4BEE73F9612E.jpeg
    652EC471-B36D-42AD-9D58-4BEE73F9612E.jpeg
    128.7 KB · Views: 420
  • 8740CB34-633B-453A-BD9B-BC901E2AB319.jpeg
    8740CB34-633B-453A-BD9B-BC901E2AB319.jpeg
    653 KB · Views: 307
  • C5FF7746-5B8D-402F-A4AE-5D322052D778.jpeg
    C5FF7746-5B8D-402F-A4AE-5D322052D778.jpeg
    513.9 KB · Views: 305
It reminds me of those sonic attacks you hear on the news or see in movies. Normal projectile like a stone or metal would crack the window like it would crack a windshield on the highway unless side windows behave differently than the windshield? In MA, it seems comprehensive coverage includes glass damage (specifically side windows), but making a claim could increase your premium of course.

That's what I was thinking, but it has to be a really low frequency, too low for humans to hear, or the security guard would've mentioned it. If it was caused by low-frequency sound, it has to be generated by a powerful speaker, and there also has to be something special about Tesla glass as the other cars around didn't get the same treatment. Just so strange.

But yeah, I second tweeting to Musk. This one is so strange that he may just reply, who knows.

There were no signs of any other damage. I was called by security who heard a noise but cant release any footage due to privacy policy.
So you have to wonder what the camera footage is for if not incidents like this?

Security Guard: We can only provide footage for criminal acts.
You: How do I determine if it was a criminal act?
Security Guard: You would need to review the footage.

:)

Last edited:
Debris or someone broke it.

Given that they’re tempered to make them resistant to blunt force but perceptible to shattering from sharp impacts, they get broken like this surprisingly easily.

Also, just because it’s in a million pieces doesn’t mean it “exploded” or caused by something really dramatic necessarily. Being safety glass, they’re designed to crumble to dust.

The noise could just have been the impact, and they do tend to go ‘pop’ when the tension in the glass releases.

Although not as common but spontaneous glass breakage does happen. Unless you got a very good lawyer, car manufacturers and dealerships would first blame owners by default, no investigation needed!
Yep, does happen, but they will deny unless there is video footage of proof of it shattering spontaneously. Otherwise the default assumption is something broke it.

Reactions: MyMYLRnw
Debris or someone broke it. ...

Nope. 30 years ago, I'm chief of police for a Cape Cod town. Hurricane coming (Bob, I think). We were putting stuff in my car (Ford Explorer). Rear cargo "door" open. Kinda windy, but nothing special. Standing around car. Driver side rear passenger window just blows out. Like in a bazillion pieces.

My lieutenant is standing nearby. Gets ready to scream at the officer who did it. But there weren't no one around to blame...

Yeah, crazy. But stuff happens.

Rich

Glass can store a remarkable amount of stress when it's made, if it isn't made just right. Also, while it's a somewhat different type of glass, it's even more exciting when a glass shower door does this. It's exceedingly rare, but not unheard of.

Lots of these reports all over the internet.

Could be possibly due to an improperly aligned window and too much pressure on it. I haven't heard of any being rectified by service. I wonder if an NDA was involved.

Lots of these reports all over the internet.

Could be possibly due to an improperly aligned window and too much pressure on it. I haven't heard of any being rectified by service. I wonder if an NDA was involved.
Not all over the internet. It just a few and even then one video was edited raising some questions. This is not just happening to Tesla either. Maybe bad window from the factory or previous impact that just happened to shatter the window later.

Nope. 30 years ago, I'm chief of police for a Cape Cod town. Hurricane coming (Bob, I think). We were putting stuff in my car (Ford Explorer). Rear cargo "door" open. Kinda windy, but nothing special. Standing around car. Driver side rear passenger window just blows out. Like in a bazillion pieces.

My lieutenant is standing nearby. Gets ready to scream at the officer who did it. But there weren't no one around to blame...

Yeah, crazy. But stuff happens.

Rich
Extreme pressure changes like that could do it.