Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Window exploded while parked for Level 2 charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It looks like rear windows were aftermarket tinted? Window tint can in rare cases cause failures like this. The sentry cam is not going to capture something like this because it does not do continuous looped recording the way a dash cam does.

Forking over $300 to fix it in the grand scheme of things is couch cushion money.

Reactions: zecar and Pianewman
To the OP: In any car, you're surrounded by glass. Defects happen. Random debris happens. No need to be paranoid about the glass.

Next time you're on a passenger jet, don't think about the reality that you're sitting on a few zillion gallons of jet fuel. When my wife realized that, she refused to fly for several years. o_O o_O

Although not as common but spontaneous glass breakage does happen. Unless you got a very good lawyer, car manufacturers and dealerships would first blame owners by default, no investigation needed!
Nothing like lawyering up for a $300 broken window.

Nope. 30 years ago, I'm chief of police for a Cape Cod town. Hurricane coming (Bob, I think). We were putting stuff in my car (Ford Explorer). Rear cargo "door" open. Kinda windy, but nothing special. Standing around car. Driver side rear passenger window just blows out. Like in a bazillion pieces.

My lieutenant is standing nearby. Gets ready to scream at the officer who did it. But there weren't no one around to blame...

Yeah, crazy. But stuff happens.

Rich
Barometric pressure, not crazy or a mystery.

Could be a bb(not bbq LOL) or pellet gun...those type of attacks are becoming more frequent

Phew. Reading this thread I was really starting to worry about Teslas getting their glass broken due to folks mowing their lawn and then potentially attacking Tesla's with their BBQ..... imagine the negative Tesla media headlines on that.

Curious as to what the outside temperature was on that day, and whether you had the Cabin Overheat Protection enabled....? If the interior temperature was very different from ambient, that could cause this. In terms of escalation, you need to escalate Security's refusal to let you view the footage. That seems ridiculous to me.

Same happened to me, except entire rear liftgate window. Spontaneous explosion. It was cold, about 33-degrees F outside. Car was parked and I had the defrost on blast for about 15 minutes. Hope this is a one-off thing, and not due to living in cold regions.

Some say it is ultimately the result of a manufacturing impurity (look up nickel sulfide in tempered glass).

IMG_2753.jpg

Glass can store a remarkable amount of stress when it's made, if it isn't made just right. Also, while it's a somewhat different type of glass, it's even more exciting when a glass shower door does this. It's exceedingly rare, but not unheard of.
The stress is deliberate. We don't want car glass to break into large dangerous shards, so we temper the glass. Thus it is a pile of internal stress that responds to failure by shattering into a multitude of tiny pieces as the stress suddenly finds a way to relieve itself. Even a very small nick or scratch incurred in handling or installation (or in use) can leave a latent stress riser that ultimately results in a "sudden" failure, possibly years later. The "landscaping stone" is also plausible; it only takes a small amount of force applied to just the right spot in just the right way to cause a small localized failure that then propagates throughought the pane. I was working on the door of someone's car once and the handle of my wrench made the slightest tap on the glass. Hardly enough to break an eggshell, in my estimation. Yet in an instant the entire window became a pile of glass nuggets. Improper installation is another possibility. But without direct evidence, proving the root cause of a particular break can be difficult.

Reactions: Pianewman
To the OP: In any car, you're surrounded by glass. Defects happen. Random debris happens. No need to be paranoid about the glass.

Next time you're on a passenger jet, don't think about the reality that you're sitting on a few zillion gallons of jet fuel. When my wife realized that, she refused to fly for several years. o_O o_O
Lol, my science teacher once related how he had gone inside a skyscraper as a kid. Given his technical leanings, he idly tried to calculate how much mass was perched above his head. Arriving at an answer, he was overcome by dread and fainted straight away.