Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Window fails to operate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, looks like the honeymoon is over and some of the blush is off the rose of my baby.

I have had my brand new 2018 MS 100D for just over one month. Today, the front passenger window retracted the expected half inch, or so, when the door was opened, but failed to go up again when the door was closed. :(
The window was non-responsive to either the passenger or the driver-side window controls (all the other windows worked just fine). The problem was NOT resolved with a hard reboot nor was it resolved by powering off the car using the touchscreen.

On the bright side (slightly, since it's a one hour drive), customer service was able to give me an appointment for tomorrow morning which I really appreciate. I am going on a long trip soon and I need that baby fixed and water proof!!

Anyone else experience this type of failure? And, if so, how was it resolved?

We had some exceptionally heavy rain (for the UK) around three months ago and, hey presto, my passenger side windows would not operate and the passenger side doors were not responsive from the outside. Spoke with the SC and, because I needed a loan car, I had a seven week wait. Meanwhile the problem rectified itself after a week or so! I decided that I should keep the appointment, just in case. Another bout of heavy rain resulted in the fault raising its head again. By now my appointment was only around 10 days away and failed to rectify this time.

Went into the SC 8am Wednesday.
Contact from them 5pm Wednesday - a faulty 'module' which they had ordered from central UK stores and would be with them Friday
Contact from them 1pm Friday - car ready to collect, fault resolved and car washed and valeted.

Difficult to fault this type of service other than the wait for an appointment.

Try using the window button to run it all the way down, hold it there for a few seconds (keep button pressed 10sec), then try running it back up(again keep it pressed 10sec while window is up). On mine, it fixed the problem, and it hasn't happened again since.

Try using the window button to run it all the way down, hold it there for a few seconds (keep button pressed 10sec), then try running it back up(again keep it pressed 10sec while window is up). On mine, it fixed the problem, and it hasn't happened again since.

Thanks for the reply, but I can't attempt that reset because none of the door window controls (driver or passenger) will operate the window.

See the Model X sticky thread for the window resets. Some of these issues are resetable (as above). Some Service Centers.may not even know all the ins and outs (although you’d expect them to!).

I think they work on the S also...

Model X Reset Techniques

In my opinion, one of the reasons this forum is so useful is that the collective experience and knowledge is so great. It has already helped me with a few small issues that might have otherwise had me going to the SC. I'll take a look at the thread, but I have to leave in less than an hour to make my SC appointment time so I expect I'll just keep the appointment and hope for the best!

So, as a follow-up, my experience at the service center was very good! The problem actually turned out to be a faulty window regulator (a hardware not a software issue!). The fault was diagnosed and the part replaced within an hour and a half of my scheduled appointment and I was on my way home! I am very very pleased with the quality of the service!

That is the same procedure BMW had me do on a 330 I had previously